Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MCN Evaluation of 09 Road Glide, Wow.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 09:12 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 375 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by masterblaster
The guy lost all credibility with me comparing to a Suzuki. JMFUO

Masterblaster, You're referring to this sentence in my post I take it?

"They also liked the increase in lean angle, throttle control, and nimble handling compared to the Suzuki C109RT."

Maybe I left out a lot by just summarizing. I'll clarify where the other tester, Gary Picket, is coming from and why the Suzuki was mentioned, by including his two paragraph personal take. Please keep in mind this overall very positive review of any Harley by MCN is pretty impressive. Also MCN patterns themselves along the line of "Consumer Reports" where they always cite any negatives that could be perceived by riders of other brands.

Tester's Log;

"Having only recently completed 3,500 miles of tour testing on the Suzuki Boulevard C109RT, I then got a chance to put a bit more than 1,000 miles on the new Road Glide. And I wouldn't be human if I didn't engage in a bit of bike vs bike comparison.
There is no doubt that when it comes to rolling on the throttle and pointing both bikes toward the horizon, the Suzuki will leave the Harley in the dust, both in straight line acceleration and for top speed.. That's to be expected when the Suzuki's 1783cc four-valve mill is pumping out 30 more horses than the Harley's 1584cc two-valve engine. But there is more to motorcycling pleasure than straight line acceleration. When the road gets twisty, Harley's precise throttle control and excellent fuel metering combine with it's slightly lighter weight and the more nimble handling characteristics provided by its new chassis and narrower rear tire provide a greater level of riding satisfaction than its more powerful competitor. Cruising is about pleasure and this new Road glide is a huge improvement."

-Gary Picket-

(He obviously meant narrower "front" tire.)
The new frame improvements were well received by this independent publication and I'm guessing more road tests will be coming out with positive reviews soon. Someone posted that maybe the tires were underinflated on the 07 that was referenced? Maybe. Also keep in mind these testers ride a lot of different motorcycles and sometimes pick up subtle "problems" with a motorcycle that the faithful of that brand would refer to as not a problem, but "just different". BMW's switch gear and telelever front suspension come to mind.

It's interesting to see some always bash the newest model. I'll bash it for the increased 35# of weight over the 08 but otherwise I feel it's a nice upgrade. I had a 04 Dyna and, except for the 05 valve stems, observed the improvements every year over my 04 including cam chain tensioners, 96" motor, 6 speed, lighter clutch effort, self adjusting primary, Brembo brakes, larger stiffer forks, etc. Most of these improvements were bashed here by someone or another. That's just the way it is I guess.
I don't have a Road Glide but do have a 09 Electra Glide and am quite pleased with it. The 2010, 11, and on will undoubtably have more improvements over the 09 and they may be bashed by some too.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:29 PM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturday Night Special
69?? Double Bravo!!

I hope the rental included insurance? Otherwise you wouldn't be smiling in that photo right? You had fun and that's all that counts.

Serious, +2 Bravo...

Thanks! The Harley Fly and Ride includes insurance with $1,000 deductible if the bike is stolen, and $2,000 deductible for collision.
I just turned 70, and we rode to the Keys today, but I was good and never went over 80. A few of the guys I ride with are in their 70's, and still going strong. The best, though, is Jim, who celebrated his 80th by skydiving.

It's all a state of mind.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:02 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xcelr8
Thanks! The Harley Fly and Ride includes insurance with $1,000 deductible if the bike is stolen, and $2,000 deductible for collision.
I just turned 70, and we rode to the Keys today, but I was good and never went over 80. A few of the guys I ride with are in their 70's, and still going strong. The best, though, is Jim, who celebrated his 80th by skydiving.
It's all a state of mind.
I assume he wore a parachute?? Or did he just rely on insurance?

Seriously, age IS a state of mind.