Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MCN Evaluation of 09 Road Glide, Wow.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 05:35 PM
msh134
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am 250 lbs and i cant go 1/2 hr without my butt going numb it could be me but its just uncomfortable i have a seat off my 08 ultra on it for now and it has a pro pad in it i can ride all day with it.

Old 11-09-2008, 05:35 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,829 Likes on 1,592 Posts

I'd rather add a 1600 dollar hogpro wide tire kit, 2-300 in paint, buy 2.5K in rims, 500 in tires, 400 bucks in a True-Trak, 7-800 bucks in brembo brakes, 1000 bucks in a 6 gallon tank all for my 07 SG. I mean why just buy an 09 that already has all that stuff on it? I mean dang what are people thinking.

09's just suck. I'm glad I never bought one.

lp

Last edited by lp; 11-09-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:52 PM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturday Night Special
Why is it that a "good review" of a new Harley Davidson motorcycle soon turns into a "slam" by other HD owners who don't like it one bit?

Does it hurt your feelings that new bikes might be improved some? Is it not common knowledge that HD had touring frame problems for YEARS and the internet it ripe with people making "fix it" kits to help the older bikes track straight? There are several threads above addressing just this problem so acknowledge it please. Sure, take any review with a grain of salt but c'mon guys, get over it! Lets see, 98 mph, minus the inaccuracy = what, about 92-93 mph?? So what does that prove anyway?

Smells like "sour grapes" to me....

(People wouldn't be buying and installing all those kits if the problem was imaginary or "non existant" and also note that they aren't simply buying AVON tires as the fix either.)
Calm down, big boy.

What part of:

WTF is this guy talkin'about? Sounds like he was running severely underinflated tires. I have ridden Touring bikes in the desert Southwest. the Sierra Nevada's, all through the Southeast, New England, & Canada, and have never experianced "failure to hold a steady line".

sounds like slamming the '09's?

The speedo picture was taken by me on a beat to sh*t '07 rental w/28k on the clock while riding across Death Valley last November. The bike was steady enough at that speed to take the pic, and then I put the camera in my pocket, and ran the bike up to 110 MPH. My son and I had identical bikes on that trip, and no "unsteady" issues. I rode my '05 Road King all over the Southeast, including the Tail of the Dragon, with zero issues. I rode an '06 rental Road Glide, as well as a rental '06 Electra Glide all over the Adirondaks, and thru plenty of New England twisties. Never had any tracking issues.

Just sayin'.

The road is on the rock ledge on the right. Go off the road, and you are gone forever.

Last edited by xcelr8; 11-09-2008 at 06:35 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:10 PM
DanDil
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

No dought the 09's are new and improved. But I have an 07 RKC and I have Demo'd an 09 Ultra and the difference was not as dramatic as that review. Both bikes basicly ride the same under normal riding. The differences may be more apparent under hard riding. Just going fast is not hard riding. I didn't like the electronic throttle. A new frame didn't turn these big boys into sport bikes, ready for canyon carving. I can't speak to the tire issues...my bike goes straight, but I think I wil try a different brand when I need a new set.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:25 PM
xcelr8
Road Master

This is the part of the report that leads me to believe that something was radically wrong with the '07:

"I can't forget riding a 2007 CVO Ultra on the 101 Freeway north of San Luis Obispo. Cruising straight down the highway on a calm day, it wandered all over the lane, unable to hold a steady line as I struggled to keep the chassis underneath the weight of it's heavy fairing and windshield.

I have been on that streach of 101........there is no way that ANY bike would not be able to hold a straight line on that road, unless the tires were grossly underinflated, or something far worse.....

Harleys have been traveling every corner of the world for over 100 years, and I think they are pretty damn good. The '09's are the best yet, but it is not a reinvention of the wheel.

Last edited by xcelr8; 11-09-2008 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:40 PM
DRAFT1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this writer is just trying to be kind, but I'm calling BS on this one. Is he trying to make it sound like the prior HD tourers were hard to hold on the road? I've owned and road a lot of different brand bikes. The only way they were hard to hold if tires were underinflated or the wind was gushing. Other than that, I have had no problems. Even pulling a trailer. I have no doubt that the improvements are better, but not to this a degree of ******* the prior year models capabilities. I don't know why he chose the RG to ride anyway. They are ugly enough to pull a buzzard off of a gutt wagon. My HD buddies want even ride with me anymore.

Old 11-09-2008, 07:03 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xcelr8
Calm down, big boy.

What part of:

WTF is this guy talkin'about? Sounds like he was running severely underinflated tires. I have ridden Touring bikes in the desert Southwest. the Sierra Nevada's, all through the Southeast, New England, & Canada, and have never experianced "failure to hold a steady line".

sounds like slamming the '09's?

The speedo picture was taken by me on a beat to sh*t '07 rental w/28k on the clock while riding across Death Valley last November. The bike was steady enough at that speed to take the pic, and then I put the camera in my pocket, and ran the bike up to 110 MPH. My son and I had identical bikes on that trip, and no "unsteady" issues. I rode my '05 Road King all over the Southeast, including the Tail of the Dragon, with zero issues. I rode an '06 rental Road Glide, as well as a rental '06 Electra Glide all over the Adirondaks, and thru plenty of New England twisties. Never had any tracking issues.

Just sayin'.

The road is on the rock ledge on the right. Go off the road, and you are gone forever.
Man, my hat is off to you! You my friend have a set when I hear you tellin us that you rode a beat to sh*t '07 rental w/28k on the clock while riding across Death Valley to 110 MPH??

That my friend takes guts, especially on a beater rental that you don't know how well is maintained, serviced or if the tires have plugs in for that matter. Bravo!

Old 11-09-2008, 07:05 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DRAFT1
I know this writer is just trying to be kind, but I'm calling BS on this one. Is he trying to make it sound like the prior HD tourers were hard to hold on the road? I've owned and road a lot of different brand bikes. The only way they were hard to hold if tires were underinflated or the wind was gushing. Other than that, I have had no problems. Even pulling a trailer. I have no doubt that the improvements are better, but not to this a degree of ******* the prior year models capabilities. I don't know why he chose the RG to ride anyway. They are ugly enough to pull a buzzard off of a gutt wagon. My HD buddies want even ride with me anymore.
Thought no one caught that did ya?

Old 11-09-2008, 09:00 PM
xcelr8
Road Master

Originally Posted by Saturday Night Special
Man, my hat is off to you! You my friend have a set when I hear you tellin us that you rode a beat to sh*t '07 rental w/28k on the clock while riding across Death Valley to 110 MPH??

That my friend takes guts, especially on a beater rental that you don't know how well is maintained, serviced or if the tires have plugs in for that matter. Bravo!
That trip wasn't without incident. We were coming out of California, crossing the Sylvania Mountains on our way back across the desert into Nevada. My son and I were pouring it on through the twisties, when I lost it in a diminishing radius, quick turn. You would think at 69 years old, I would know my limits on these demanding roads.

Las Vegas Harley estimated the damage @ $4300.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:11 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

69?? Double Bravo!!

I hope the rental included insurance? Otherwise you wouldn't be smiling in that photo right? You had fun and that's all that counts.

Serious, +2 Bravo...

Quick Reply: MCN Evaluation of 09 Road Glide, Wow.