Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Tourpak

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 10:16 AM
fastbagger
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ultra Tourpak

Is it possible to put a ultra tourpak on a streetglide and have lights and speakers function? Thanks.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:27 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,135 Likes on 1,798 Posts

Absolutely, but you will need to buy the appropriate FLHTCU tourpak harness. If you look at a parts book in the Ultra tourpak section it will show you the additional harness that you need.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

+1 for what Dawg said, AND you will have a TP light wiring issue to address--it's not hard to do, but it's not plug and play.

The SG fender/facia LED light uses the wiring harness that the Ultra uses for the TP lights. So, you can either create a pigtail (HD has the parts for the connectors and wire terminals) to power both the fender/facia LED and the TP lights using the TP harness, or, change the wiring of the fender/facia LED and wire it to the tail light circuit board behind the tail light (by changing the connector to the one used for the circuit board socket) and using the wiring harness on the bike to power the TP lights. The latter is how my bike is wired.

Edit: There is a third alternative for powering the TP lights and that is the accesssory connector under the seat/in front of the battery. It's a four wire Deustsch connector, and HD uses it for power to the TP spoiler and saddlebag spoiler LED's that function as run/brake lights. The parts needed are shown in this link to the adapter HD sells; you'll only need the one end that plugs into the existing accessory connector:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J01544.pdf

The Road King does not have the TP harness, so that option isn't available for lighting a TP on a Road King.

Edit #2: Since this wiring issue, or ones like it come up often, here are the part nos. for creating the pigtail, or changing the connector on the SG LED:

Pigtail to plug into the TP harness to create two connections: one for the TP lights' connector, and one for the SG LED:

1. 73103-96BK (used to plug into the bike's TP harness. The wire terminals are 73190-96; three required, but they're cheap so buy a couple extra in case you screw-up the crimp--return the unused ones if you like).

2. 73153-96BK (used to create two connectors for TP and SG LED, so buy two. The wire terminals are 73191-96; three required for the TP lights; two for the SG LED; but, go ahead and wire both with three wires, so a total of six required, but buy a couple of extra.

As for the wire colors and circuits used, just duplicate what is in the TP harness when you make the pigtail, or consult the wiring diagrams in your Service Manual. Honestly, it sound more complicated than it is. Also, someone poste pics of the pigtail but I didn't save it--as mentioned earlier, I simply spliced the wiring in the tail light circuit board, and left the TP harness connection alone.

Wire gauge should be either 16 (preferred) or 18 gauge. Also, though not required, buy a Philmore WS26 crimp tool; $7.99 at Fry's Electronics--just google the info and you will find other internet sellers. HD recommends a $320 Snap-On crimp tool and some guys are able to do the crimping without a special tool. The Philmore WS26 worked well for me and was cheap enough I didn't fool with trying to do the crimps otherwise.

For wiring the SG LED to the tail light circuit board, or if you are using the HD bullet turn signal and license plate relocation kit (basically the same turn signal/tail light bar used on the SG, the upper left chamber will have a plug in it for the license plate light). Splice into the two wires used by the license plate light plug; but, note LED's tend to be polarity specific so be sure the LED works before soldering, etc.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 03-15-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:00 AM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup... you have the best answers on the Forum... the two above know their stuff.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:36 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Edited my previous post to add that the TP lights can be powered by the accessory connector located under the seat/in front of the battery--it's how HD powers the TP and saddlebag spoiler LED's.

Road Kings don't have the TP harness that comes on the EG's, SG's and RG's--so that TP harness is not an option for lights on a TP installed on an RK.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:46 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

as pingman stated,,, change the wiring of the fender/facia LED and wire it to the tail light circuit board behind the tail light (by changing the connector to the one used for the circuit board socket) and using the wiring harness on the bike to power the TP lights, thats also the way I have mine wired alot easier then it sounds.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:59 AM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great Thread! I was about to post the same question! Thanks all for the heads up! Mike

Old 11-10-2008, 12:20 PM
wkenddad
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put the detachable tour pack on my ultra.
If you want one permanently attatched I'll sell you my origininal parts for 1/2 the harley prices.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

I edited my first post on this thread to include the part nos. for the connectors and wire terminals used in creating the pigtail.

I didn't create the pigtail; simply spliced the LED wiring into the license plate wiring in the tail light circuit board. Why make a pigtail when two wire splices are sufficient?

Old 11-11-2008, 12:33 PM
fastbagger
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all. I actually test drove a '09 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic (loved it!!) and really liked the sound of the 2 speakers on the tourpak. I thought about trading but LOVE my '07 SG. Thanks again!!!