Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to disable running lights on front of a 2009 SG?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 07:37 AM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guy asked a simple question, what's with all the comments?

Funny that people want to bring the law into this conversation when 99.99999% of the people who ride have done something that's against the law to their own bikes.

For me, it's not about being a rebel, those lights just look like sh*t, plain and simple! There's no reason why they should be on ALL THE TIME! Most of the things we do to our bikes are for looks anyways right? As for someone saying " they make you more visible", ya right! If someone can't see my headlight and passing lamps, then those little two amber lights ain't gonna make one bit of difference. Also, if I get a ticket for not having those lights on (cop would have to be really bored to pull me over for that anyways), I'll just remove the tape from the bulb, get it signed off, and do it all over again. NO BIG DEAL!

Old 11-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

1. I spend zero time looking at my bike with the lights "on" so whether the run lights on the front look good or bad is irrelevant for me; and, going down the road, I doubt that anyone cares one way or the other if my bike looks better with the running lights on or not.

2. A good friend of mine had a bad accident when a cager pulled out in front of him from a side street on a sunny afternoon. My friend was riding his RK Custom and had recently disabled his run lights--so the only light on the front of his bike was the headlamp. Don't know if the cager would have seen him had his running lights been operating, but maybe he would have sparing him and his wife seeing him life-flighted to a Trauma center with a torn aorta.

3. Perhaps riding in Metro Atlanta with heavy surface street traffic, suicide turning lanes, etc. makes me more aware of the importance of conspicuity to cagers. But even riders in less heavily trafficed locales may have it worse since cagers see even fewer motorcycles than they do in Metro Atlanta and are less cognizant of their single headlights, small profile, etc.

We all make decisions on our bikes that can have an effect on our safety and being seen by cagers is an important one for me. I used to run with HD fog lamps but removed them when I installed fairing lowers; so, I bought Motolights, primarily for daytime conspicuity.

Each to his own.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:28 AM
TexasSG
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Oy!! Simple question and the guy gets attacked with everybodies opinion about what he's doing wrong, WTF? If he wants his scooter lightless or lit up like a Christmas tree then that's his business, sheesh!
I rewired (more like dewired) my chopper a few years ago, wound up with a headlamp, a tail lamp, three switches and two relays, total! I loved the way it cleaned everything up and recieved countless compliments on how sanitary it looked. But there is always some grampa popping up that thought he knew what was best for me, wagging his finger at me telling me how dangerous it was to ride without turn signals and having that exposed primary belt to get my pants all caught up in, yada, yada, yada.
I just smile at them and say "less is more".

Old 11-10-2008, 01:51 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by ngoti8tor
You could probably go inside the turn signal and unplug the wire used for the running light feature (blue on my 2008 Fatboy). There should be a wire for the turn signal feed and a wire for the running light. One more wire will be for the ground (black).
I never criticized anyone here......I'm just trying to help the guy out. We're not all bad guys here!

Old 11-10-2008, 02:36 PM
BigD64
Tourer

The Turn signals are purple, blue and black. The others should be your passing lamps.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:51 PM
TexasSG
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ngoti8tor
I never criticized anyone here......I'm just trying to help the guy out. We're not all bad guys here!
'course not, most (like you & I) are here to offer help and/or learn and for that, I am appreciative.
Unfortunately some are here to preach and offer criticism & opinions that weren't asked for.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:03 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by TexasSG
'course not, most (like you & I) are here to offer help and/or learn and for that, I am appreciative.
Unfortunately some are here to preach and offer criticism & opinions that weren't asked for.
Thanks for clearing that up. I hate being accused of something I didn't do.