Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

worth the money!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 06:10 AM
hammerhead32158
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of guys will hammer me on this one, but here goes. Don't be too quick about buying true duals. I put Rinehart true duals on my "08" ultra. I really like them but, my nephew put Vance & Hines slip ons, on his "08" Street glide and I think his sounds as good or better. His is not as loud but still has some "bark". We both had a PCIII installed and dyno tuned and I can't tell any difference in the power or performance between bikes. The moral of the story, save some money and buy slip-ons. Just my opinion.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:38 AM
Ace07FXDL
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got RTD's on my 08 SERK and love them. I would look at what your doing for fuel control first them decide on pipes. I have the Super Sert w/ a map I purchased from Latus HD that was dyno'd in on a identical bike as mine. I could not be happier. My pipe selection was based on what I wanted for fuel control-SERT and the fact thats the pipe that Latus used in dyno testing.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:00 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Pipes

The question revolves on what is important to you. Do you want looks over performance, the sound of your bike, what product or look of what everyone has, what is normal on a stock bike, or performance over looks?

Naturally, the best performance is to be had with a great 2 into one pipe. A ceramic coated pipe will keep the heat in, and a tunable pipe like SupperTrapp will the best performance. This product (which I own) is not good looking and sounds fairly quiet with the fiberglass packing instilled which translates to the general public as not sounding like a Harley. They do not look good IMO.

Rinehart true duals do look good as does Bassani's (great people to do business with). Expect not to get the horsepower and throttle response out of the true duals. Again, what is important to you is what you should put onto your bike. Make it yours.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:36 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SoCal_Pappy
Have RHTD's on my '01 RKC and would never recommend them until they get there pipes and tips cleared. The do sound Great and Look Good...
But if ya look hard.. You'll find a better deal on them M&M Cycles
As far as I Know, and after speaking with the customer service people at Bub, the problem with the bracket on the rear cylinder has been corrected, and they are now using a different method of coloring the end caps on the Rinehart TD's and they do seem to keep their color much better than previously made units. Time will tell on this though.

I have the Rinehart TD's on my 08' FLHX, and I do like them quite a bit. I did not buy them because I would get the most performance out of them....I bought them because I like the way they look and more importantly the way they sound. Personally when buying exhaust systems for my own bikes I stick with V&H (I just never had a problem with their fit or finish, and its my belief that you cant go wrong with a V&H exhaust), so I was going to buy the V&H header pipes and Rinehart slip on's.....but I thought I would give the Rinehart TD a shot and I am happy.
Yes....you will get better performance with a 2>1 system, but with the right intake (I am using the SE Heavy Breather), fuel management (I am using the SE Pro RT), and a good dyno tune....the difference between the 2>1 and TD's is minimal. I have another bike that produces just a c-hair under 100hp/100tq, so if I want to "blast around" I ride that. I bought my Street Glide for a different reason....I wanted something I could get decent performance out of, keep it reliable, not so loud that I dont enjoy the music, and could be comfortable for 500mi/day if needed (I usually like to do about 400mi max and then find a room before my SO starts bitching too much). Thats almost where I have my SG now.

What I would suggest to you is to check out as many different exhaust systems (or at least the ones you like) as you can....listen to them on other peoples bikes that are close to yours. You want to hear them at idle, and how they sound under load. Do not judge by how they sound if your riding behind the guy....you need to be riding next to the other bike if you can....from behind any system will sound louder. You will also have to include in the equation what type of riding you will do most....and what your ultimate goal is for YOUR bike. Then make your choice. Shop the price around and your done......I ment to say getting started!

Old 11-08-2008, 07:48 AM
robandlyn
Road Master

I got the 1999 version of the HD SE slip-ons on both our bikes.
Got them for $200 a set from members here. You could probably
pick them up for about the same money on E-bay or other HD forums
in their classified section. Our bikes lso are running High Flow air cleaners
& PC III's from Fuel Moto. Bikes run and sound great and we are getting
in the low 40's for MPG.
Rob ......

Old 11-08-2008, 07:52 AM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wrenchguy24
I am beating my brains out trying to decide what pipes to buy for my ultra!!!!!!!

Dont want real load But, I do want a nice bark!!!!
Love the looks of the rinehart true duals!!!!

But 984.00

are they worth that much????
I was dealing with this for my 09 Ultra, alot had to do with what was actually available now. I ordered a set of Rinehart slipons yesterday from Eastern Performance for $469.95 NO SHIPPING.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:54 AM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member

Lots of good advice has already been posted and it boils down to what looks and sounds best to you. Look and listen to other bikes and make your decision. I went through 3 muffler setups before I got what I really like (monster ovals). Got them from Eastern Performance at the best price I could find with very quick delivery and great customer service.

Last edited by Ultra 08; 11-08-2008 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:18 AM
Heathen
Tourer

+4 on the D&D FATCAT..unreal torque gains.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:27 AM
StreetKing
Tourer

I would definetly would check out the whole power package from FuelMoto.I bought the package with the Joker pipes, nice crusing sound, good bark and performance.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:47 AM
DaveMK
Road Master
Received 315 Likes on 142 Posts

I tryed to recreate the sound of my carburated 02 EGC ( Hooker Header w/fishtail end caps )on my 08. I put Vance&Hines slip ons,SERT, and Big Sucker on the new bike. I can't get that low deep rumble back. My son said that when I started the 02 in the garage he could hear and feel the vibration upstairs. On my 08 he can just hear it, not feel it.
It sounds good, it's just not the same.

Quick Reply: worth the money!!!