Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police Bike - is this a good deal

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 08:47 AM
CharlieZ
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 04-05-2006, 09:32 AM
carsoni
Tourer
Default RE: Police Bike - is this a good deal

Charlie, that looks pretty good. I called Ft Lauderdale HD, They sell and service Police RK's and they will fly you down to pick it up. I believe they change the tires and the seat also

Old 04-05-2006, 09:58 AM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

not a good deal. cop bikes dont show all the abuse and idling time and slow in town riding. a 10k mile bike is really more like 30k miles. you will find unkept appearance and scratches and a fair amount of rust. they are work bikes.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Howler
Road Captain

My two cent's for what it's worth, it's a 2005, still under waranty, the price is really good, and with a new paint job I think you would really like it, low miles at 1600

Old 04-05-2006, 10:13 AM
Mitt
Cruiser

Don't ask - But take it from me ...

YOU DON'T WANT TO BUY A USED POLICE BIKE!!!!

Unless you can get that bike for $10,000 - but because of the low miles I would take a chance on it at $10,000 not a penny more ... Don't forget you will need a paint job +$1000, new seat, seat bracket and probably other things I can't think of right now which will push the price up a couple of grand.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:52 AM
byrdi
Advanced

Still tho a 2005 that's a hell of a deal or at least it is here in Georgia....
Alot of people around here want police bikes.....
A buddy or mine bought a 97 retired police bike for $11,500
and it had 33,000 miles

Old 04-05-2006, 11:49 AM
FLHTPjeff
Cruiser

There are lots of posts on this board about police bikes. Most folks who own them seem to love them. I have had great luck with mine. You have to decide what you are looking for in a bike. Check it over carefully and know where it came from. If it was a major metro area, the mileage probably does not really reflect how much use the bike has seen. Though you could say those things about any used bike, really. Mine came from a small town and is mechanically A-1. You can't assume that any used bike has been babied. At least with a cop bike you know that the previous owner hasn't done some crazy "performance" modification that does more harm than good. (Know anyone with bashed in exhaust baffles who can't get an inspection sticker? I do. How about some idiot that thinks backfiring from running waaaaay too lean is "cool"? Wonder what those valves look like.)

If you're looking for a cosmetically perfect bike you'll probably need to look elsewhere, most have had decals all over them, and some guy with a gun belt rubbing on the bags/tank. My paint buffed out to just about perfect condition though.

If you don't want to paint it or change the seat and tires, you don't have to, there you saved all that money. Most guys change out the stock seat on their bikes, police or not, and tires have a limited lifespan anyway. Mack, rust on an '05? I don't think so. Unless they stored it in the Atlantic Ocean for the past 6-months.

Police bikes can be a great deal, you just need to pick a good one (again, this goes for any used bike). I think the two types of ideal cop bike buyers are 1) someone who's going to ride more than polish and dosen't really care too much about cosmetics or 2) someone who's going to do a bunch of modifications anyway. Custom paint will go over scratched Birch White just as well as perfect Chopper Blue, and the Mustang or Corbin will replace an air-ride solo just as well as a stock pillow seat etc...

Good luck!

Old 04-05-2006, 12:03 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That sound like a good buy to me.

Old 04-05-2006, 12:15 PM
roadkingcurley
Intermediate

I think it is a good deal!! I bought mine in 04, a 2003 FLHPI for 14k from Ft. Lauderdale H-D. It had less than 5000 miles on it and was in great shape. What most people don't understand is that these bikes are on a monthly service schedule, you can enter the VIN at H-D's wesite and get a record of all service done to that specific bike. The Police bikes at Ft. Lauderdale H-D come from either Ft. Lauderdale P.D., Broward County Sherrifs or Florida State P.D. They are leased for a year and then turned in for a new model. I've had a great time doing all the changes to mine to make it my personal bike. Why pay 18,5k for a bike you're gonna change around anyway. I've been buying Police bikes for years, riding 37 years, owned 14 H-D's, 8 have been Police models. I love em, I love the price and I love making them the way I want. If you're looking to buy and that bike is from Ft. Lauderdale H-D, call them and talk to them. They'll give you the lowdown on it. They will remove the stickers for free but the rest is up to you, unless you want to pay more. Do it youself, how hard is it to put a seat on???

BTW - They will probably try to sell you an extended warranty on it, I stuck with a 2 year and saved abut 3K to spend on goodies!!

Old 04-05-2006, 12:40 PM
Memphis RK
4th Gear

Hello Folks,

I bought a 1996 police bike at an auction in New Orleans in 2000 with 23,000 miles for $9,000. I had a complete service done that oiled everything and changed the fluids. I shipped it to France and rode 10,000 miles in 2001. The bike gave me perfect service. I paid for regular maintenance items like tires, battery and fluid changes over a 5 year period. I sold the bike last fall for $7,000 on Ebay. The bike was rode hard and put away wet. It was not a polish queen, but a hell of a ride.

I bought a brand new crotch rocket to replace my Road King. After my first 500 mile trip, I had buyers remorse. I sold the Yamaha at a loss to buy another Road King Police bike.

I am buying a 2005 with 451 miles for $13,999 from Greeley Harley Davidson in Colorado. This one is particularly pristine. They have more bikes selling for 13,500 with low miles. The passenger seat, passenger floor boards and tank emblem do cost extra, but it is still thousands less than a regular Road King.

Why a police bike? I love the solo saddle with air bladder. I prefer the handle bars and general ergonomics. I don't mind the plain Jane styling of a police bike either (I could be an amish). The Police model also an EFI heat management system. I don't know if a heat management system is on regular 88's? Police bikes are the only Harleys with ABS as an option (mine does not have ABS).

Some dealers charge $200 plus maintenance fees to municipalities for a one year lease. They know that the market for police bikes is good.

I shopped quite a bit and compared new Road Kings, used Road Kings and Police bikes. The prices are everywhere on a 2005 from $13,200 to $17,500 for a used bike with less than 5,000 miles.

Life is good on a Harley...

Quick Reply: Police Bike - is this a good deal