Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Police Bike - is this a good deal

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Danester
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Police Bike - is this a good deal

Just make sure it wasn't used only for parades and those crazy "cop bike stunt riding" teams!!!

Old 04-05-2006, 01:37 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

the new orleans dealers and slidell start at about $10K for less than 2 year old bikes.

Old 04-05-2006, 02:58 PM
MiniMe
Road Master

ORIGINAL: MACK

not a good deal. cop bikes dont show all the abuse and idling time and slow in town riding. a 10k mile bike is really more like 30k miles. you will find unkept appearance and scratches and a fair amount of rust. they are work bikes.

I disagree with this, Our bikes are well serviced, not idled long at all and no rust on them. We get new ones every three years, some of our officers have bought them and they look new and have no problems.

Old 04-05-2006, 09:08 PM
coolharley
Cruiser

I disagree with Mack also - way too general of a statement/assumption. Like all else in life, it depends. Could find a beat up Police Bike, or a beat up private sale. I like mine and I like how I have customized it. In fact, its nice to have a Police Glide (or King) just because its not the same run of the mill every other Joe has.

Mack is right you might find some more blemishes/nicks/etc. (key word - might). Mine had a few, and I've added a few. So what. That's what happens to a bike you ride.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6348/295907AD0BCF4D838A8FFF73908277B9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-05-2006, 11:34 PM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

they are great deals, got mine for7800, got somewhere in the hood of 12,000 in it now, runs like a charm looks damn good and i have no payments! i say give that cop bike a good look!!

good luck!!

Old 04-07-2006, 08:54 PM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master

I disagree with mack, There are some nice deals out there on 1 year old police lease bikes,yes some departments may no care for their bikes,abuse them as well. however there are alot of dept. that have service/maintenance contracts that are part of the lease package. I bought a police EG last summer,yes i had to look the bikes over very carefully,and narrow my choices down a a few,then I asked to see the service records and maintenance performed of each of the bike . the bike I bought was very clean,no scrub marks on the underside of the crash bars/saddle bags, no chips or scratches in the paint,no rust (other than on one muffler clamp) the bike had already had 2 brand new 2 up tires installed,and a new pillow look touring seat,came with the remainder of the full factory warrantee.I like the police style bags,blk and chrome engine as well,and i have no plans for paint until the factory birch white shows the need for it to be repainted,and i dont think that will be anytime soon. I've added some personal touches to mine to set it apart from other police bikes,and I'm very pleased with it going into my second season of riding.

do some home work,look at alot of them before jumping in and buying the first one you find,good deals come and go,if you miss this deal,another with show up i'm sure

Good Luck

Old 04-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Memphis RK
4th Gear

I just got back From Greeley Harley Davidson in Colorado. I love my Police bike. I had them add a matching seat (available from Mustang) and passenger floor boards and tank emblems. Next, I am going to change the switch housing to a chrome set (won't have siren and pursuit buttons). Then, I am going to have slip-ons and a new air cleaner put on (air cleaner comes with new ring to replace black police ring). I put chrome puck covers over the black stock issues. The seat and the bags will tell a trained eye that it is a police model, but most riders could not tell it from a regular RK.

[IMG]local://upfiles/10280/AB9CAAA8DA454852AED110E898379DEC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-10-2006, 05:14 PM
roadkingcurley
Intermediate

I've had mine since March of 2004. This winter I changed the switch housings and ran the wiring through the handlebars, Wild 1's Knuckle bars so now everything on the handlebars is chrome. I put a stock height windsheild on instead of the +2" Police model. I traded my police saddlebags for a like new set of stock bags. I got a Corbin Classic Solo and 50's style P-pad. Changed the front and rear fenders for Road King Custom 'clean' fenders. Traded my wheels for Wheel-Works 18"x4.25-80 spoke wheels and Metzlers and a bunch of other little things. I also built the motor to 95" and installed a Baker DD6 tranny!! I'm waiting on Progressive shocks and I'm taking it to the tuner on 4-15 to have it tuned and dynoed. While it's there I'm sending the tins out to have my custom Black Cherry Pearl w/ Silver ghost flames paint. Then I'm going to Myrtle Beach with a Bad A$$ 03, 95", 6-speed, custom Road King Police bike!!! Well I still have the Black Nacelle and the black tach that say's 'Road King Police' on it!!! See, the thing is, other than the saddlebags, which didn't cost anything cause I traded for them, I would have done all the other **** that I did even if it was a regular Road King instead of a Police model. It just would have cost me $3500-$4500 more. If I hadn't bought the Police bike I'd have bought a EG Standard. Start with the cheapest model available cause you're gonna spend lots to customize it!! Just my .02

[IMG]local://upfiles/10207/0CF3B4D3083E4954B540E834A38BDCBA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Ric27
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In general how much cheaper will a police bike be than a comprable civilian model?

Ric

Old 10-18-2007, 10:07 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I think it's a good deal.

Quick Reply: Police Bike - is this a good deal