Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taking a Roadking to Japan?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 11:37 AM
BlackMarshmallow
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Taking a Roadking to Japan?

Good Morning!

I've got orders to Japan (Atsugi, Kanagawa Pref.). The King wants to go too. Anyone have any experience registering a stateside bike in Japan? I'm being told it's going to be about $1500-$2000 for the emissions certificate alone and I know I've got to get a brake certificate. I'm not sure where to go or what the process is to get either one and I'm looking for some step-by-step instructions.

Just registering a "normal" vehicle in Japan is enough of a hassle, this is whole 'nother level of B/S. I think I counted up one time that it's like 8 seperate steps to register a vehicle that's already got tags and insurance on it. BUT, what a great place to ride!

I know there are riders on the forum stationed in the FDNF, and I'm hoping someone has the straight scoop.

Thanks in advance

k

Old 11-07-2008, 12:00 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member

Driving Permit info:
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1148.html
And there is a NavMil web page on bringing your car to Japan as well.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:16 PM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Job Master Chief.......i guess that is why you got paid the big bucks.......I was going to answer that there is a navmil site that list all the stuff about cars etc for over there...

Old 11-07-2008, 12:19 PM
SikRyd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Konichiwa!

Finally a question I have some authority on the answer about!

I brought my bike with me over there. I lived there for 5 years. So I went through it.
It isn't a big deal. Are you going to have it shipped with your household goods? That makes it easier since they bring it right to your house, instead of having to pick it up at the port in Yokohama (Yokosuka Navy Base is by there).
Yes you will have to get it inspected, which isn't a big deal, but costs a little bit. You will also get to know the "lan office" pretty good. Not sure what it stands for, but that is like the DMV. You will get a temporary tag from them for like 600 yen, or $7-$8 so you can ride it to the lan office to get inspected. There they will pretty much make a japanese title from you title and registration, and then them inspecting the engine and frame #'s (that was the hardest part of the whole thing for me - since it was on a crotch rocket at the time and it was a pain to see behind the plastics and stuff - but they used a magnet on a rod and some good ingenuity so I didn't have to take it all apart).
Before that you will have to buy the insurance though. There is JCI (Japanese Compolsury (sp) insurance which is insurance for the vehicle, and then insurance for you - the driver. I forget the difference and all, but one is for the vehicle and one for the driver. (its been about 5 years since I lived there! hard to remember everything). Once you have both of the insurance policies, the lan office will give you a temporary japanese tag as stated above, and then you will have to deal with the lan office and the inspection.
It REALLY ISN'T A BIG DEAL at all. The only thing is the cost. Especially now that the yen is around ¥110 - $1 which means that it costs more Greebbacks to do anything downtown. BUT, the cost of living allowance is probably pretty good too because of that. When I was there it fluxuated from ¥140 - ¥110, which is a considerable difference if you spend much downtown.
I'll edit this more when I get more time.
Good luck, and take the bike, you won't regret it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The riding around Mt. Fuji and everything is something to experience. Traffic isn't bad outside of Tokyo!!!

Old 11-07-2008, 12:26 PM
BlackMarshmallow
Tourer

Thanks M/C! I've got the basic process, I'm wondering about testing site, experience getting it done. How long it takes etc. I'll look at the NavMil site and see what's there for it. Any specific info would be welcome. I've got several months to get this planned and executed. I go on cruise first of the year and transfer about 3/4 of the way into it. (And probably go right back out to sea! Oh Joy! Oh Bliss!) I guess I can write HD and see what the deal is with the brake cert.
k

Old 11-07-2008, 12:57 PM
BlackMarshmallow
Tourer

Lan office is short for Land Office which is short for Land Transportation Office which is shortened from "Minististry of Land and Transportation Infrastructure". Gotta love the Japanese Bureauocracy. Yes, you do get familiar with them. Go to Window 7, Get in Line one Go back to building 2 and stand in line 1 Go back to Building 1 and get in Line 11. Take your vehicle and get in Lane 11 or 12. Come back to Window 7 Get plates and affix front and back (car). Go back to Pass and ID and get sticker. That's all AFTER the initial going to P&ID for the temporary pass, getting the insurance (JCI & Liability), paying the road/weight tax, parking certificate if you live out in town, Yep, it's a hassle no doubt. BUT! It's worth it.
My only concern is that 2001 and newer have to have that darn emissions check and brake cert. That's the $wrinkle$ I'm trying to iron out. I don't think it's any more complicated, just more expensive. I'm trying to do everything I can to mitigate the complications because it's going to be very short fused when it actually comes time to pull the trigger on this. You know what they say, failing to plan is planning to fail. = )

Originally Posted by SikRyd
Konichiwa!

Finally a question I have some authority on the answer about!

I brought my bike with me over there. I lived there for 5 years. So I went through it.
It isn't a big deal. Are you going to have it shipped with your household goods? That makes it easier since they bring it right to your house, instead of having to pick it up at the port in Yokohama (Yokosuka Navy Base is by there).
Yes you will have to get it inspected, which isn't a big deal, but costs a little bit. You will also get to know the "lan office" pretty good. Not sure what it stands for, but that is like the DMV. You will get a temporary tag from them for like 600 yen, or $7-$8 so you can ride it to the lan office to get inspected. There they will pretty much make a japanese title from you title and registration, and then them inspecting the engine and frame #'s (that was the hardest part of the whole thing for me - since it was on a crotch rocket at the time and it was a pain to see behind the plastics and stuff - but they used a magnet on a rod and some good ingenuity so I didn't have to take it all apart).
Before that you will have to buy the insurance though. There is JCI (Japanese Compolsury (sp) insurance which is insurance for the vehicle, and then insurance for you - the driver. I forget the difference and all, but one is for the vehicle and one for the driver. (its been about 5 years since I lived there! hard to remember everything). Once you have both of the insurance policies, the lan office will give you a temporary japanese tag as stated above, and then you will have to deal with the lan office and the inspection.
It REALLY ISN'T A BIG DEAL at all. The only thing is the cost. Especially now that the yen is around ¥110 - $1 which means that it costs more Greebbacks to do anything downtown. BUT, the cost of living allowance is probably pretty good too because of that. When I was there it fluxuated from ¥140 - ¥110, which is a considerable difference if you spend much downtown.
I'll edit this more when I get more time.
Good luck, and take the bike, you won't regret it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The riding around Mt. Fuji and everything is something to experience. Traffic isn't bad outside of Tokyo!!!

Old 11-07-2008, 05:01 PM
obwhan
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do what you have to do I was stationed there for 8 yrs. and there is great riding there. I sold mine. when I left for more than I payed for it. Al