Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind buffeting coming from below

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 12:59 PM
lennyhd2002
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The lower air baffle? Between the forks? On the lower triple? Does that go right under the lower headlight tin? And also, do the wind deflectors that screw on to the lower sides of the faring work? Do they reflect wind?

Old 11-10-2008, 07:56 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by lennyhd2002
The lower air baffle? Between the forks? On the lower triple? Does that go right under the lower headlight tin? And also, do the wind deflectors that screw on to the lower sides of the faring work? Do they reflect wind?
It attaches to the three holes at the backside of the lower triple clamp. The fairing deflectors do seem to work but I guess it depends on what you expect from them. See below.

UPDATE: Today I installed the fork baffle and the fairing deflectors. I'm running an 8" Clearview with recurve. The buffeting is thankfully improved but it's still there. Just for the hell of it I tried a set of borrowed soft lowers, the kind that attach to the front crash bars. They kept my feet nice and warm but made the buffeting way worse. I took them off and rode the same route at the same speed and the buffeting was back to it's improved level.

I'm planning on ordering a set of hard lowers tomorrow from Surdyke. I think they should help the buffeting and warm things up. Does anybody have any insight as to the level of improvement to the buffeting they might provide if any? BTW, I rode my buddy's RG today with a stock screen and it was way worse. Besides, it felt much bigger and heavier. Between the tail pak and huge fairing it really gives the impression of extra heft. The SG felt downright svelte compared to his RG if that's possible :-)

I was also playing around with head position relative to the screen. The closer you get to the screen the smoother the air flow over the top. The concept Cee Bailey has with his complex curve screen that brings the tip closer to the rider certainly seems like it's going in the right direction. Looking at it and the way it mounts makes me think it needs some kind of vertical support otherwise it seems like it would be really stressed. I wonder if one of those might help? Any insights?

Just a thank you to all who have added to this thread. Maybe we'll come up with something yet.

Marc

Old 11-10-2008, 08:36 PM
hitone
Cruiser

I am getting in on this discussion late but I have something worth telling. I ride a 2007 Street Glide and experienced the same buffeting problems you all are talking about. I have solved about 85% of the problem as follows.
Changed the stock windscreen for a 6 inch (may go to a taller style next year)
Installed Kuryakyn Dragon wings air deflectors on the bottom both sides of the fairing.
Installed the HD between the fork air baffle
And, for those of you FLHX riders who know that the chrome fork mounted wind deflectors carry a warning that they do not fit the street glide, well that is only partly true. If you remove the highway (crash)bar and put the fork mounted deflectors on the opposite fork to which they are supposed to mount, they fit great and are in behind the fork mounted turn signals. I have found that with the above combination, I could smoke a cigarette at 60 mph if I smoked. The buffeting is gone!
It has made a huge difference. Now if I can just find a highway bar that will work with the fork deflectors mounted the way they are!
I have never tried the lowers on my bike and now with the engine guard removed, I never will!

Old 11-10-2008, 08:45 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Well, I've done all the same things you've done except for the fork mounted wind deflectors so I'm assuming that's the key. Some questions:

Can you see any way that they could be modified to work with crash bars. I have two reasons for not wanting to remove them: 1. I'm afraid I'm gonna drop the bike one of these days while moving it and 2. I'd like to put on lowers at least for the winter.

Can the deflectors be left on in hot weather? That is from the standpoints of the engine getting too hot and the rider getting too hot.

How do they look? A subjective question but I think I'm getting "Harleyized" where that might actually be a consideration :-))

Thanks for the info,
Marc

Old 11-10-2008, 08:53 PM
hdjoe88
Road Captain

Originally Posted by lennyhd2002
I have the fork air baffle and just installed the fairing mounted wind deflectors today. I noticed a big difference. I think a set of lowers, soft or hard, would take care of the rest.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:56 PM
overtime39
6th Gear
Wink Thank you its not just me

I've told three different dealerships that I was getting drowned everytime it came a shower. They all looked at me like I was nuts . Just glad to know I'm not the only one. The buffeting and the rain comes from between the lowers and the fairing. As posted before you can put your feet on the lowers and stop it. Yes I know its a motorcycle and your gonna get wet . But unless your riding with lowers you don't know how much wind and rain gets funneled up the front of the rider. If the fork defectors will fit with the lowers I'll try them. Thanks again Kris

Old 11-10-2008, 09:21 PM
shadowrunner
Cruiser

And just who started the rumor that Americans don't like to eat insects, total rubbish!!!

Old 11-10-2008, 09:27 PM
Rollon
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It's a motorcycle! you're suppose to get AIR.

Harley plastic piece works well, was standard on pre 06 UCs.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:32 PM
hdjoe88
Road Captain

Had a Road King for 5 years and never experienced the kind of buffeting that I get on my Street Glide. If I can make a couple of changes to make the ride more comfortable, so be it.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:36 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hdjoe88
I think a set of lowers, soft or hard, would take care of the rest.
I can tell you that the soft lowers won't cut it. The buffeting goes way up. I just tried that this afternoon. Took them right off and the buffeting went back to where it was.

Marc

Quick Reply: Wind buffeting coming from below