Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind buffeting coming from below

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 09:20 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiderPig
Did the fork deflectors make a difference???
Yes, a big difference. When using both the deflectors and lowers, however, you have to pay atttention to oil temps on warm days, and open the vents on the lowers. As I mentioned earlier, without the deflectors, the air flow that normally would come back into the engine area by your legs, will now not come back in until the middle of the saddlebags, missing the engine completely.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:47 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHoss
Not trying to be funny now,but the last time I had a problem like that where I couldn't see from the air bouncing me around,I needed a tighter fitting helmet,they do get bigger with wear,a better fitting helmet took care of my problem.
They don't get bigger per say but the inner foam shell will "crush" to conform to your head. I went thru three helmets in two sizes until I found out Ineed a med and not a large.

Last edited by DrPlastic; 11-09-2008 at 10:02 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:57 AM
DrPlastic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I ride an '08 EG-Standard with the stock windshield. I have also installed the 'tween the forks air deflector. I am 5' 4" and I wear an HJC CL-33 3/4 helmet with the spherical face shield. I experience ZERO buffeting and no wind coming up under the chin of my faceshield.

The problem is that the SG is being bought by riders that like the look of the shorty *** windshield but don't like the properties of riding with that kind of windshield (or more like no windshield at all). Get the stock EG and and it will go away.

Don't be a slave to fashion. Just because it looks kewl don't mean squat roaring down the road and getting your eyeballs bounced around!

Also I got the same wind hitting my knees when I was riding my Sporty. I solved that by wearing a pair of Thinsulate lined jeans that I picked up from Bass Pro shops.

Last edited by DrPlastic; 11-09-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:04 AM
marcparnes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I can't get rid of the buffeting with the fork deflector, fairing defectors and 8" shield then the next thing is to go with the 12" stock EG shield. Glad to hear that set up works for you. That's encouraging!

Marc

Old 11-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by marcparnes
Hi,
Thanks for the suggestion. I do wear glasses but the problem is as much the helmet and my head buffeting as it is the glasses. I wear earplugs as well but the drumming even gets through those :-( Gotta be a way..

Marc
AHHH I see, well then a taller windshield will help like the stock 12".
The lower the shield the worse the buffeting and you still cant get rid of it 100%. Just the way it is..

Old 11-09-2008, 11:12 AM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Chech out www.customflhtwindshields.net I love my 8" dark tint half-moon windshield in the summer,just enough wind without tearing your head off. I'm going to order a 12" clear for the cold weather. The half-moon also keeps wind off the passenger as well.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:17 AM
harleybikerboyz
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem, tried various size and design windshields, fork deflector, now looking at lowers to help combat the problem. Until you experience this ...it is very difficult to describe. I had the opportunity to ride many bikes without the batwing front..from no windshields to small & med sized windshields...to your point it is smooth air pressure.. At the end of the day ...when you have the SG above 55mph you can feel the wind coming straight up from the tank...watch a guy with a beard or someone with an ipod cord... the beard or cord is "floating" on a horizontal plain from the updraft and buffeting from the tank. Around town - no problem.. but on an extended ride.. bring the tylenol as you will have a headache... not pleaseant. Still looking for a solution..

Old 11-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Hardly Dangerous
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, I just gotta add my 2 cents. I have an 06 SG with the fork baffle and it does not do a thing with the stock windshield. I have tried putting it on, taking it off, putting it on again and there is a slight "difference" but it does not get rid of the buffeting. The only thing that has helped is a taller windshield.

For the people that it has helped there has to be another variable. Maybe your height or the seat or something else. One thing I do notice is when I wear goggles at night the buffeting is reduced. I have gotten used to it and just use a taller windshield for the long trips.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:59 AM
Raaze07
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHoss
Best product I have seen to stop wind is called a car.
What is this "car" thing you speak of? Any links or pictures?

Old 11-10-2008, 12:51 PM
shekmark
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Rode with my stock UC screen yesterday. Its 12 in or maybe 11. I took two helmets with me, a full face Nolan N102, and a Z1R 1/2 with side flaps. There was still some buffeting, but less with the open face helmet. I just hate looking thru a screen, I ordered a 9.5 Clearview which I will be just able to look over in my comfortable slump. Will let you all know. ( I'm 5'10, 31 inseam)

Quick Reply: Wind buffeting coming from below