Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind buffeting coming from below

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 01:35 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And it didn't work for you. Bummer :-(

Marc

Old 11-07-2008, 03:07 PM
simsjam
Cruiser

The Dyna and Sportsters have covered the buffeting discussion too. It kind of comes to the larger the shield or fairing it creates a vacum behind it that encourages the wind to get sucked up behind it. I found forward controls or highway pegs repositioning my legs blocked the wind coming up the tank. Another prodect that helps is the Jack Flaps vest. Some type of fork deflector does help.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:51 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by marcparnes
For some it isn't a matter of blocking the wind as wind and buffeting are two different things, IMO. Buffeting, when it shakes your helmet around to the point that it's hard to see where you're going, is a lot different than just plain smooth wind that I agree is one of the perks of riding.

Marc
Not trying to be funny now,but the last time I had a problem like that where I couldn't see from the air bouncing me around,I needed a tighter fitting helmet,they do get bigger with wear,a better fitting helmet took care of my problem.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:04 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

I don't doubt that the helmet contributes to the problem. In my case I'm wearing a full face Arai. It fits properly but maybe the overall shape and size exacerbates the problem. I see an awful lot of guys with half helmets riding behind the same fairing and I can't imagine even a few of them would put up with the amount of eyeball vibrating, headache inducing turbulence I'm dealing with. So, the helmet? Could be. Tonight I rode home on the freeway on my GS. There's plenty of wind coming over the abbreviated screen but it's so smoooooth... Most of the time I've got my visor open with sunglasses on. Just feels like a nice breeze even at 80 mph. There's not much coming from below either. They must have spent quite a few hours in a wind tunnel getting it right.

On the SG everything is fine up to about 40 mph and then it starts and just gets worse up to about 70 mph where it tends to diminish just a bit. It is for sure a function of the wind being sucked in behind the fairing. If I put my feet up on top of the crash bars and hold my legs against the tank I can get it to almost stop. I've been wondering what effect the lowers have. Do they help with the buffeting? I'd even spring for a pair of those if it would get rid of it.

So far I've tried the stock SG screen, no screen, a cut down 1" screen and the current Clearview 8" with recurve. The only thing that got rid of it was either no screen or the cut down to 1" version. I tried that for 300 miles last Saturday and the buffeting was much improved but the ride home on the freeway at 80 mph damn near wore me out. Way too much direct wind coming off the fairing so that's no solution. The dealer swears by the lower fairing deflectors and I've read about the baffle so they're both on their way. I'll report back as to how those work out. One way or another I'm going to fix this. I like riding this bike way too much to get bummed out on it for this reason. If anyone has any other suggestions I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate hearing them.

Thanks,
Marc

Old 11-07-2008, 08:13 PM
tinker1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shekmark
Fasthoss, I don't mind the wind, thats why I use a short windscreen. Buffeting is different, it can give you a wicked headache. You don't get buffeting unless you have a wind screen or fairing. Spiderpig, I'm not getting what you are saying. I can't tell what it is, but it sounds like what I need.
have you thought of using a NON DOT helmet? Can't recall the last time I rode with a DOT helmet, but I do remember the wind buffeting would at times whip my head around. So, I suggest either NO helmet, or a good quality NON DOT helmet.. if you're so inclined.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:02 PM
r8rs4lf
Road Warrior

What about hard or soft lowers? I just ordered some chaps that attach to the crash bar. I hope that cures the problem.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:06 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Since having back surgery a number of years ago, I can't ride without a windshield or fairing. After a number of bikes, starting with a Slipstreamer windshield, then a Vetter fairing, then a full faired Yamaha Venture (original style) I can say with such experience that the Ultra (or Harley tour bikes) have the worse air flow of any bike I've owned. The stock windshields are just too straight up and down, and you are literally pushing a barn door through the wind. Worse buffeting I've ever experienced.

I have the fork baffle, plus the fork deflectors, plus the lowers. All help, but none to the point of having "quiet" air around the head like other bikes/fairings had. I've yet to try some of the windshields like Klockwerks. I think it's just the nature of the beast.

And it's even worse for the passenger.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:21 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Wow, that's not very encouraging to say the least but kind of what I expected. This is probably sacrilegious to say but I'm genuinely surprised that Harley leaves this like this. They've done such a fine job of bringing the drive train and frame up to snuff you'd think they'd do the same in the wind management area.

Marc

Old 11-07-2008, 09:42 PM
Nitzo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by techtafab
ha ha your a funny gay
Funny gay................roflmao.......That's better than the original post.

Sorry, I'll take my spot in line as n00b............BaaaaaHaaaaaaa.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:44 PM
nt6977
Advanced

Originally Posted by marcparnes
The device pictured goes under the lower triple clamp and deflects the wind down and away from the rider. I've got one on order. I'm going through the same thing regarding buffeting. I literally can't stand it. Takes all the fun out of it. I get lots of wind on my Beemer GS but the wind is smooth, no buffeting. BMW uses what are called winglets that mount to either side of the tank and completely eliminate the buffeting that otherwise would be there. I took them off just to see what happens and the buffeting was miserable without them. You can see them by clicking on the link in my sig. They are the clear plastic parts between the screen and bars in the picture. I'm going to add the lower fairing wings as well to the SG to see what happens. This bike will be perfect once I get this solved.

Marc

I bought the wind deflector that goes under the faring and it didn't help with the wind coming from under there. I'm going to try the ones that go on the forks like on the road kings and hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Wind buffeting coming from below