Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind buffeting coming from below

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 09:51 AM
shekmark
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Fasthoss, I don't mind the wind, thats why I use a short windscreen. Buffeting is different, it can give you a wicked headache. You don't get buffeting unless you have a wind screen or fairing. Spiderpig, I'm not getting what you are saying. I can't tell what it is, but it sounds like what I need.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:23 AM
marcparnes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The device pictured goes under the lower triple clamp and deflects the wind down and away from the rider. I've got one on order. I'm going through the same thing regarding buffeting. I literally can't stand it. Takes all the fun out of it. I get lots of wind on my Beemer GS but the wind is smooth, no buffeting. BMW uses what are called winglets that mount to either side of the tank and completely eliminate the buffeting that otherwise would be there. I took them off just to see what happens and the buffeting was miserable without them. You can see them by clicking on the link in my sig. They are the clear plastic parts between the screen and bars in the picture. I'm going to add the lower fairing wings as well to the SG to see what happens. This bike will be perfect once I get this solved.

Marc

Last edited by marcparnes; 11-07-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:16 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It IS a motorcycle, kinda defeats the purpose of "in the wind" if you block all wind.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:21 AM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by gunner11
It IS a motorcycle, kinda defeats the purpose of "in the wind" if you block all wind.
For some it isn't a matter of blocking the wind as wind and buffeting are two different things, IMO. Buffeting, when it shakes your helmet around to the point that it's hard to see where you're going, is a lot different than just plain smooth wind that I agree is one of the perks of riding.

Marc

Old 11-07-2008, 11:27 AM
sooie
Tourer

Originally Posted by marcparnes
For some it isn't a matter of blocking the wind as wind and buffeting are two different things, IMO. Buffeting, when it shakes your helmet around to the point that it's hard to see where you're going, is a lot different than just plain smooth wind that I agree is one of the perks of riding.

Marc

could not of said it better

Old 11-07-2008, 11:46 AM
hotrodsandharleys73
Road Master

I had the fork baffle pictured on my bike and took it off because it made it worse. I haven't tried it with the Klockwerks windshield yet. Maybe my height and the SG seat put me in a position that causes it? I agree that the buffeting is totally different from just having the wind in your face.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:54 AM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by hotrodsandharleys73
I had the fork baffle pictured on my bike and took it off because it made it worse.
Can't see from your picture but are you referring to the chrome pieces that go along side the lower forks or the baffle that goes under the triple tree? I hope it isn't the baffle since I just ordered one :-)

Marc

Old 11-07-2008, 01:30 PM
rockhard69
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get the fork baffle in black or chrome. It attaches with three screws to the lower triple tree. There should be three black plastic taps on your lower triple tree that pop off. It does help to keep the wind from blowing straight up under your chin. The chrome one from HD is 24.95 and the black one should be 15.00.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:33 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

I ordered the black one for a bit of stealth :-)

Marc

Old 11-07-2008, 01:34 PM
hotrodsandharleys73
Road Master

Originally Posted by marcparnes
Can't see from your picture but are you referring to the chrome pieces that go along side the lower forks or the baffle that goes under the triple tree? I hope it isn't the baffle since I just ordered one :-)

Marc
I had the baffle for under the triple tree like in the earlier picture.

Quick Reply: Wind buffeting coming from below