Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind buffeting coming from below

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 08:55 AM
Airpump
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by marcparnes
The dealer swears by the lower fairing deflectors and I've read about the baffle so they're both on their way. If anyone has any other suggestions I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate hearing them.

Thanks,
Marc

The lower fairing deflectors do provide some reduction in the air flow.

The baffle is a complete waste of money if you are trying to control air flow!!! I will admit it turned out to be another pretty piece of chrome to polish.

Last edited by Airpump; 01-13-2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:50 PM
lawnmower man
Cruiser

Originally Posted by shekmark
I would like to know if there is a product available to stop or deflect the wind coming up from just above the lowers on an Ultra? The other day on a fast hwy ride I noticed that if I put my boots up on top of the fairing lowers the buffeting completely went away!
The harley fork air deflectors will stop the majority of the wind. I have a set I use during the winter, too hot for me during the summer. Mine are powdercoated black and they look pretty good in my opinion. I also have the fork baffle. Didn't notice much difference from it.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Airpump
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Apex Rider
Airpump,I installed it on my RKC and it is a big help.

Sorry about that, I was speaking of the HD fork air baffle

Old 01-14-2009, 09:16 AM
tut60
Cruiser
Default tripple tree fork baffle

If I am not mistaken the fork baffle was standard on older road kings. the newer rks don't come with one.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:09 AM
modes
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by badjustbad
Like many others I experience the buffeting on my '08 RKC. I noticed that when I held my hand up while resting my wrist on my knee (sounds kinda gay doesn't it) as if I was telling someone to "stop" it would almost stop the buffeting. Funny thing but it's more obvious on the right side - I have cruise control so I can easily ride with my hand in this position. I decided if I could reduce the wind from below the buffeting would stop so I have been experimenting with ways to reduce, or stop it altogether, with varying degrees of success.

I have the between the fork wind deflector installed but I have replaced my driving lights with the SG version so I can't use the H-D chrome lowers (OK, others have mounted them backwards and they work). In an older thread I showed how I used some clear lowers (glass only) and a windsheild mount to add wind deflectors to my crash bars. With some fine tuning of the location I could totally eliminate the buffeting - in fact it not only eliminated the buffeting it created a large dead air space. I could almost read a map while riding - no sh*t.

I wasn't totally impressed with the look of the windsheild mount and I had to take them off to straighten my crash bar (hit a friggin' deer) so I decided to try something else. I made up aluminum brackets out of aluminum angle to hold the clear glass just below the windsheild. This location isn't as good as the first attempt but it helps significantly. Combined with the hand deflection I describe above I get a dead air space again. if I could mount the deflectors a bit lower I think it would be perfect but turning the bars to full lock just clears the crash bar.

The attached pics should help explain...
I also was able to create a dead space or air pocket with the simple placement of my right hand just inside my right knee. The reason the wind comes upward on this side but not so much on the other is due to the wind obstruction known as a air filter. I intend to make something to redirent the air in that area because riding in that pocket of air is fantastic. Sunglasses and helmet stop shaking and exhaust and radio never sounded so good. Just need to due it with right hand still on the throttle.

Adam

Old 01-15-2009, 02:09 PM
dantoniov
Advanced

Originally Posted by rfranz1952
i've heard that the best product to deal with wind buffeting from below is beano. One pill before every meal works wonders!
lmao!!!

Old 01-15-2009, 02:40 PM
Feedsack
Cruiser
Smile Kayak Skirt

try a kayak skirt, i use one from Seals. It goes around the front of the gas tank and fits behind the rear speakers. their is one draw back I cant hear the rear speakers very well. they sound muffled.
If you need the size measure from the front of the gas tank to the rear of what you want to cover and go to REI .com

This is good aint it.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:12 PM
Texas bagger
Intermediate

I found this thread a couple of days ago searching for this problem. I just put the fixed fairing deflectors on today no other mods yet.
Stock shield
Fixed Fairing deflectors
Half Helmet
5'9" 32 inseam
Buffet starts at 60-70 in 40mile commute interstate travel
Never paid attention to leg placement ie close to tank or out.
Buffeting caused blurred vision
Will update after tomorrows ride to see if deflectors alone fixed or reduced.

I added all of this data to see if similar situations are because of the size of rider, gear, travel type it occurs and so on to find out how much or how little we all had in common to help with a process of elimination.

And my wife says I'm to analytical?

Old 01-22-2009, 09:29 PM
shekmark
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I was at the IMS in NYC last weekend. I was checking out Victory cruisers and one of the models had clear plexiglass(or whatever) wind deflectors on the forks. They where bolt on witha kind of clamp around the fork tube. Kind of cool. I'm going to see if it will work on my SG.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:46 PM
badjustbad
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shekmark
I was at the IMS in NYC last weekend. I was checking out Victory cruisers and one of the models had clear plexiglass(or whatever) wind deflectors on the forks. They where bolt on witha kind of clamp around the fork tube. Kind of cool. I'm going to see if it will work on my SG.
That is exactly where I began my search for wind deflectors - I saw them on other wanabe cruisers (Kawasaki, Suzuki, etc.). I imagine the fork tubes are the same diameter on a SG as they are on a Road King. Memphis Shades makes the clamp on lowers/wind deflectors but they don't make them for Road Kings. <crap> I did manage to use their plexi glass and mounting hordware in other ways (See my earlier post.).

If you find another clamp-on option let us know.

Quick Reply: Wind buffeting coming from below