Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind buffeting coming from below

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 01:43 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedmeyer
The windvest winshields for non-fairing bikes get rave reviews.

I read the rave reviews for Windvest and bought a 16" for my FXST. Found the wind protection fell short and endured buffeting. Also was a pita to remove compared to HD's detachable hardware.

In retrospect, given the performance of my RK's stock shield I now think I would've been much happier with a traditional HD touring shield on the bike.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:10 AM
hotrodsandharleys73
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beracing
Marc
Did you look into, or know anyone who may have experience with Klock Werks recurve windshield? It seems to be similar in nature to the CB windshield. Just wondered if you contemplated that one in your quest???

Rode today and played with knee position and as several have said holding my knees to the tank reduced the buffeting by a considerable amount. Problem for me, is that I can't ride that way for long. I like to sprawl, even though I'm only 5' 9".
Bill, I have the Klock Werks and I love it. It is made of thick material and does not shake or vibrate at all even at speed. As a matter of fact I rode on Sat and the wind was blowing in the 30 mph range and running 70mph into the wind it was solid. My wife commented on how much better it was for her and how well she could hear the radio now. I had a Clarks 5" and a HD 4" and you can't even compare them to the Klockwerks and the handling improvement it adds.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Airpump
Road Captain

Install on my 06 FLHT, no help whatsoever!!!!

Old 01-11-2009, 06:49 PM
mikedmeyer
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Airpump
Install on my 06 FLHT, no help whatsoever!!!!
Installed what?

Old 01-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Apex Rider
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikedmeyer
Installed what?
Airpump,I installed it on my RKC and it is a big help.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:28 PM
ko4qc
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

AeroVest http://jacksflaps.com It may look a bit odd but it definatly works...:>)

Old 01-11-2009, 07:36 PM
nosillyname
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jcbpa
Put it on my bike which has lowers and a fairing and it did not help the buffeting, but it does look nice... I have to remember it's a bike not a cage.
Are you talking about the Cee Baileys SSC sheild?

Old 01-11-2009, 07:40 PM
nosillyname
Cruiser

Originally Posted by jcbpa
Put it on my bike which has lowers and a fairing and it did not help the buffeting, but it does look nice... I have to remember it's a bike not a cage.
This is where I disagree. Riding in the wind is a great part of motorcycling I think everyone would agree on that. "Buffeting" on the other hand is not a clean fresh flow of wind onto the rider, it is dirty air - turbulence - that feel like someone is banging the drums on your helmet. Its damn annoying and can causes blurred vision and headaches.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:11 PM
2CMan
Intermediate

For what its worth - after experiencing wind buffet that shakes your head enough to make it hard to see, I went with a Clearview recurve 8", a fork baffle (HD accessory) and most recently the plastic (fixed-not moveable) HD winglets that attach to each side of the batwing fairing. Just after adding the wings I noticed the buffet was gone, and I could actually see down the road without thinking I needed new glasses. Worked great up to about 75 mph, (maybe beyond 75 but I don't ride any faster). Amazing little devices, BIG difference all for $40. I wear a 1/2 helmet, that fits correctly, so I imagine that with a 3/4 helmet with shield or a full face, it should be even smoother ride. JMO and experience.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:24 PM
beracing
Cruiser

2CMAN,
Sounds like you were able to correct your problem without lower farings. Nice to know. Though I don't mind the lowers at all, so still contemplating them....

Tks!

Quick Reply: Wind buffeting coming from below