Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind buffeting coming from below

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 06:30 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beracing
Marc
Thanks!!! Looks great overall, but I would have to get used to the windshield kicked back at me, but if it does the trick, I can deal with it. I had looked at a Klock Werks shield also. My assumption is you drive over the shield, rather than through it. Wonder how it would handle rain....

Thanks again, and best regards!
B
As most solutions aren't perfect this one isn't either. I look over it so coming back at me is no issue. I haven't ridden with it in the rain yet. It does flutter a bit at idle and at certain rpms and loads. I've gotten used to that as well but it can be an issue if you're sensitive to it. As an example, if you're pulling some throttle on the highway at about 2500 rpm in 6th the vibes in the fairing can set the screen to fluttering which in turn causes some sympathetic harmonics in my face shield. Hard to explain. If I downshift or grab the screen it stops. I mostly keep the rpms over 2800 anyway so it isn't a big deal for me but it is an issue with this particular design. If they made the screen out of thicker material (it is now .135") maybe that would stop it but I don't think so.

Just now I put a standard HD 12" screen on and took it for a ride just to remember what that was like. Buffeting is considerable and I don't like looking through it. The buffeting with the couple of Clearviews I tried was about the same. There really isn't anything in the way of buffeting with the Cee Bailey so that's it's big plus. I've been thinking of ways to shore it up and stop the fluttering. The real problem is that I'm never satisfied. Nothing new, that's for sure Probably need to get a life or something

Marc

Last edited by marcparnes; 01-03-2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Oldman Harley
Road Captain

Marc I noticed in one of your photo's that there appears to be a bit of double vision is that something that is noticed while riding. I would think not since you and I both like to look over the shield. I have a 8" FastAire on the bike now and like it alot but am like you always looking to perfect things a bit.

Tim

Old 01-03-2009, 07:02 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Oldman Harley
Marc I noticed in one of your photo's that there appears to be a bit of double vision is that something that is noticed while riding. I would think not since you and I both like to look over the shield. I have a 8" FastAire on the bike now and like it alot but am like you always looking to perfect things a bit.

Tim
I hadn't noticed any double vision. I do look over it so if there is I wouldn't notice it.

Marc

Old 01-03-2009, 07:43 PM
beracing
Cruiser

Marc
Did you look into, or know anyone who may have experience with Klock Werks recurve windshield? It seems to be similar in nature to the CB windshield. Just wondered if you contemplated that one in your quest???

Rode today and played with knee position and as several have said holding my knees to the tank reduced the buffeting by a considerable amount. Problem for me, is that I can't ride that way for long. I like to sprawl, even though I'm only 5' 9".

Old 01-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nosillyname
Thanks for posting the info - very helpful for a common problem.

I suppose it doesnt matter whether you have the batwing fairing or the roadking screen, buffeting can be a real pain in the ***.
For me it mattered. Unlike when I rode an SG, buffeting has never been a serious issue for me on my RK. Maybe that's because I'm 5'7'' and the windshield fits me perfectly, the top of it being around nose height.

For winter I've installed the HD fork air baffle and chrome fork air deflectors. The minor buffeting that was there before is now gone.

On particularly cold days I'm running the Road Spirit lowers and they do not increase the buffeting. I believe the reason why is because, unlike HD's soft lowers, they leave a gap near the motor for air to flow through.

Last edited by Twinrider; 01-03-2009 at 08:18 PM.
Old 01-03-2009, 08:30 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by beracing
Marc
Did you look into, or know anyone who may have experience with Klock Werks recurve windshield? It seems to be similar in nature to the CB windshield. Just wondered if you contemplated that one in your quest???
I had read a few negative comments regarding that one so I kinda forgot about it. One thing about Cee Bailey is that the quality is excellent. Their main business is in light aircraft supplying windshields and tires through their Desser brand. They've been around forever. They have a bunch of old black and white photos of their business back in the day hanging on the wall. I really like stuff like that. There was one of a guy I could have sworn was Frank Nitti if only this had been Chicago They run the bike stuff out of a corner of their main facility in LA. The guy who runs it is a fellow by the name of Joe. He is quite the character and worth a visit just to listen to him expound at length on whatever you might have an opinion on. Very entertaining. I happen to mention to him that I make bike wheel balancers and we spent the next 30 minutes standing in the parking lot blocking the catering truck while he went on about how to TRULY balance a wheel. When it comes to windshields and plastics he really does know his stuff. As far as wheel balancing, well...

Marc

Old 01-04-2009, 08:38 PM
beracing
Cruiser

Marc
Being on the East Coast, not much way to drop in on them! Sounds like an interesting visit though. I think I'll try the lowers first with my Half Moon that I currently have, and see what I get from that set up. Will be a little while before I'm able to come up with the funds since they're not cheap. All donations would be gladly accepted!

Thanks again for all the info! This forum is a great source of information....
B

Old 01-04-2009, 09:25 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put it on my bike which has lowers and a fairing and it did not help the buffeting, but it does look nice... I have to remember it's a bike not a cage.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:27 PM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did not help me.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:57 PM
mikedmeyer
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Anybody tried the windvest replacement shields? The windvest winshields for non-fairing bikes get rave reviews.

Quick Reply: Wind buffeting coming from below