Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind buffeting coming from below

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 12:57 PM
teqsand
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default I run this

Originally Posted by SpiderPig
Here is a product that does just that. This pic is from Drag Specialties, but Harley has one available as well. They work great, deflects the wind down to the motor vs up over the lowers. You will should be happy with the results, many on here have installed these.

http://shopping.msn.com/specs/drag-s...ork-air-baffle
I run the HD version of this, it works great on my Ultra....

But... I only use it in the winter, being in the mojave desert, if I ride with it installed in the summer I don;t get the proper air flow over the cylinders and the bike runs hotter... Apperatly I've been told the fuel tank acts as a tunnel to channel air to te cyls, this baffel deflects the air and interupts the flow to the cyls....

Old 01-02-2009, 01:02 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by teqsand
I run the HD version of this, it works great on my Ultra....

But... I only use it in the winter, being in the mojave desert, if I ride with it installed in the summer I don;t get the proper air flow over the cylinders and the bike runs hotter... Apperatly I've been told the fuel tank acts as a tunnel to channel air to te cyls, this baffel deflects the air and interupts the flow to the cyls....
I noticed that these come stock on the Road Glides.

Beary

Old 01-02-2009, 01:59 PM
badjustbad
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like many others I experience the buffeting on my '08 RKC. I noticed that when I held my hand up while resting my wrist on my knee (sounds kinda gay doesn't it) as if I was telling someone to "stop" it would almost stop the buffeting. Funny thing but it's more obvious on the right side - I have cruise control so I can easily ride with my hand in this position. I decided if I could reduce the wind from below the buffeting would stop so I have been experimenting with ways to reduce, or stop it altogether, with varying degrees of success.

I have the between the fork wind deflector installed but I have replaced my driving lights with the SG version so I can't use the H-D chrome lowers (OK, others have mounted them backwards and they work). In an older thread I showed how I used some clear lowers (glass only) and a windsheild mount to add wind deflectors to my crash bars. With some fine tuning of the location I could totally eliminate the buffeting - in fact it not only eliminated the buffeting it created a large dead air space. I could almost read a map while riding - no sh*t.

I wasn't totally impressed with the look of the windsheild mount and I had to take them off to straighten my crash bar (hit a friggin' deer) so I decided to try something else. I made up aluminum brackets out of aluminum angle to hold the clear glass just below the windsheild. This location isn't as good as the first attempt but it helps significantly. Combined with the hand deflection I describe above I get a dead air space again. if I could mount the deflectors a bit lower I think it would be perfect but turning the bars to full lock just clears the crash bar.

The attached pics should help explain...

Attached Thumbnails Wind buffeting coming from below-deflector1.jpg   Wind buffeting coming from below-deflector2.jpg   Wind buffeting coming from below-deflector3.jpg  
Old 01-02-2009, 03:19 PM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by badjustbad
Like many others I experience the buffeting on my '08 RKC. I noticed that when I held my hand up while resting my wrist on my knee (sounds kinda gay doesn't it) as if I was telling someone to "stop" it would almost stop the buffeting. Funny thing but it's more obvious on the right side - I have cruise control so I can easily ride with my hand in this position. I decided if I could reduce the wind from below the buffeting would stop so I have been experimenting with ways to reduce, or stop it altogether, with varying degrees of success.
I have also noticed the wrist on the knee position creates a dead air space around my head on my '02 softail... almost like riding in the car with the windows just cracked...

A few weeks ago I was on a long ride up the inland valley of CA and experimented with strapping a magazine to my thigh with it extending out beyond my knee... It worked awesome... but looked terrible..

I like your idea and will need to come up with something different as I don't have an engine guard...

I have read this entire thread and find myself somewhat concerned... I should have my '07 FLHX here in a couple of weeks and I guess that I will have to experiment with the peculiarities of the batwing... Oh well, you can fix anything by throwing enough money at it...

Old 01-02-2009, 05:09 PM
beracing
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Marc
Any shots from the front, side, and from the seating position would be great. If you post an album, I can just look that up also, if that is easier.

Thanks again for all the info!
Bill

Old 01-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Raaze07
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by badjustbad

I have the between the fork wind deflector installed but I have replaced my driving lights with the SG version so I can't use the H-D chrome lowers (OK, others have mounted them backwards and they work). In an older thread I showed how I used some clear lowers (glass only) and a windsheild mount to add wind deflectors to my crash bars. With some fine tuning of the location I could totally eliminate the buffeting - in fact it not only eliminated the buffeting it created a large dead air space. I could almost read a map while riding - no sh*t.

I wasn't totally impressed with the look of the windsheild mount and I had to take them off to straighten my crash bar (hit a friggin' deer) so I decided to try something else. I made up aluminum brackets out of aluminum angle to hold the clear glass just below the windsheild. This location isn't as good as the first attempt but it helps significantly. Combined with the hand deflection I describe above I get a dead air space again. if I could mount the deflectors a bit lower I think it would be perfect but turning the bars to full lock just clears the crash bar.

The attached pics should help explain...
Not that there's anything wrong with that?!?

Old 01-02-2009, 09:29 PM
nosillyname
Cruiser

Thanks for posting the info - very helpful for a common problem.

I suppose it doesnt matter whether you have the batwing fairing or the roadking screen, buffeting can be a real pain in the ***.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

That Cee Bailey's SSC windshield looks like it belongs on a Victory Vision. I think I'd rather have the buffeting, fortunately I don't seem to have it.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:10 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by beracing
Marc
Any shots from the front, side, and from the seating position would be great. If you post an album, I can just look that up also, if that is easier.

Thanks again for all the info!
Bill
Here you go:

Marc

Old 01-03-2009, 05:52 PM
beracing
Cruiser

Marc
Thanks!!! Looks great overall, but I would have to get used to the windshield kicked back at me, but if it does the trick, I can deal with it. I had looked at a Klock Werks shield also. My assumption is you drive over the shield, rather than through it. Wonder how it would handle rain....

Thanks again, and best regards!
B

Quick Reply: Wind buffeting coming from below