Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind buffeting coming from below

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 08:41 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't happen to have a pic with the new screen on it but there are a bunch of pics on Cee Bailey's site. Here is a link to their page: http://www.ceebaileys.com/harley/flhtssc_ws.html

Old 12-22-2008, 11:23 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you stop completely, you should have no more wind

Old 12-23-2008, 04:02 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Wow, I can't believe I read this whole thread. This is purely a testament that I cannot sleep. Next thing everyone will be complaining about after they solve their wind-buffeting problem is the engine over heating issue. Guess you'll have to bring the wind back in.

I hope Harley Davidson doesn't redesign the classic batwing just because a few of us want to address the wind-buffeting. Oh well, I guess everyone voted for change, right?

Old 01-01-2009, 05:10 AM
nosillyname
Cruiser

After reading this entire thread, I cant believe the amount of people saying things like "drive a car if you want no wind" or "what's the problem, wind is part of riding a bike"...

If you actually read this thread you would see that we are talking about buffeting, not wind. I love the wind - 14 years of riding bikes with no screens - but Buffeting is the realy annoying, sometimes painful shaking of your helmet. Not fun in anyones book.

I have an '09 EG on order that I am not happy about, because I just assumed I would be able to solve the buffeting with one simple screen change....... Seems its not so simple.

Thanks Marc for all your posts and helpful info.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:49 PM
nosillyname
Cruiser

Originally Posted by marcparnes
I now have the combination that eliminates the buffeting to as much as 95%. I have the fork baffle, adjustable fairing deflectors and most importantly, a Cee Bailey's SSC 10" shield. The Cee Bailey's is really what ended up fixing it. I had a 8" Clearview with recurve but the buffeting was still there. I can say now that it is gone! Whew! Marc
Hey Marc, in your final "ideal set up" did you have the "fork mounted lowers" on as well? or did you find that made no difference?

Thanks.

The buffeting issue has all but put me off buying the EGS. Unless I can be 100% sure I can solve the "buffeting" problem I experienced on the test ride, then I'm not really keen to part with my $$$ if ya know what I mean....

Old 01-01-2009, 09:57 PM
beracing
Cruiser

Marc
Once you get all the goodies on, please post some pics of the completed setup. Very interested in the looks of the bike once done!

I have the 8" Half Moon on my ride, and yes it help with some of the buffeting, it does indeed punch a wider hole in the air for the passenger, but it did seem to present some less favorable handling at higher speeds or windy days. IMO

Thanks!

Last edited by beracing; 01-01-2009 at 10:00 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:46 PM
rfranz1952
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Prodcut to solve the problem!

I've heard that the best product to deal with wind buffeting from below is BEANO. One pill before every meal works wonders!

Old 01-01-2009, 10:47 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by nosillyname
Hey Marc, in your final "ideal set up" did you have the "fork mounted lowers" on as well? or did you find that made no difference?

Thanks.

The buffeting issue has all but put me off buying the EGS. Unless I can be 100% sure I can solve the "buffeting" problem I experienced on the test ride, then I'm not really keen to part with my $$$ if ya know what I mean....
Nope, no fork mounted lowers for me if you're referring to the chrome deals that bolt to the fork legs. That seemed a bit over the top appearance wise as well as what it might do to the handling at higher speeds. What I have is working pretty well so I'll probably leave it alone. I've since added a 103" Stage II and now I'm playing with the suspension. I'm really liking this bike now. Oh yea, a Sundowner seat and detachable backrest for the wife and all is good

Marc

Old 01-01-2009, 10:49 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by beracing
Marc
Once you get all the goodies on, please post some pics of the completed setup. Very interested in the looks of the bike once done!
Any particular views you'd be interested in? I'll take them tomorrow.

Marc

Old 01-02-2009, 12:44 PM
liftgator
Advanced

One thing I didn't see mentioned yet is body position. I noticed keeping my knees tucked up against the tank funnels most of the wind around my torso verses up towards my head. This body position significantly reduced head buffeting. I will likely add the Cee Baileys to further reduce buffeting. I have an 08 SG with 8.5 Clearview Recurve, HD fork baffle and fairing wind deflectors.

Quick Reply: Wind buffeting coming from below