Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind buffeting coming from below

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 03:48 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by confused
thanks marc, I have been thinking about bumping up to a 9.5" Clearview
I sit on a sheepskin pad and w/ out the 8" is ok, but I ride w/ the pad
So I may try a blemished 9.5" recurve
I bet you end up with the same one I just sent back last week

Marc

Old 11-14-2008, 04:33 PM
AZStrtglide
Advanced
Default Research

Has anyone tried Cee Bailey windshield's, I'm looking at ordering a one this spring. They claim on the website that their design helps eliminate buffeting.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/harley/flhtssc_ws.html

Here is a previous thread on the Windsheild.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...ley+windsheild

Old 11-14-2008, 04:48 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Originally Posted by AZStrtglide
Has anyone tried Cee Bailey windshield's, I'm looking at ordering a one this spring. They claim on the website that their design helps eliminate buffeting.

http://www.ceebaileys.com/harley/flhtssc_ws.html

Here is a previous thread on the Windsheild.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...ley+windsheild
Read the post 5 posts above this one.

Marc

Old 11-14-2008, 04:57 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Sheesh, that is one ugly windshield....but if it works.....

Old 11-15-2008, 09:34 AM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Hey, marc, did you get a clear CBaileys, or colored one? If clear, I'd be interested in knowing if you get any wierd light effects on it at night when you meet other headlights coming at you.

Old 11-17-2008, 01:40 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

I have the light gray tint and I didn't notice anything weird about it riding at night. I am looking over it, though.

Marc

Old 11-17-2008, 03:14 PM
simsjam
Cruiser

I just put the HoggChopps on my 05 RG and they work well. They really cut down on the air coming up my legs BUT you will need some heat deflectors for your thighs because they do trap more heat. My next step is a +1 over stock Clearview WS. I am 5'9" and the wind comes over the stock shield and hits the top of my helment. I am running a stock seat.

Originally Posted by Flyboy
I too get a lot of buffeting on the highway, very tiring. I'm on a 07Sg, 6" clearview recurve, fork baffle, fairing deflectors and soft lowers. As soon as I put my feet up on the bars, buffeting gone.

I wonder if the hoggchopps lowers might work better than the HD ones. I want a set of hard lowers, but I can't decide which ones. I'm tempted to try the Hoggchops in hope of even better wind protection.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:18 PM
vanlente
Advanced

It is frustrating that people will not read all of the posts and just make nonsensical comments like its a motorcycle there is supposed to be wind, buy a car, etc. I have the buffeting and it makes riding less enjoyable. It ISN"T wind, it feels like someone slapping your head around for 700 miles. It is so bad that my last ride the last two days I could not focus because my eyes were vibrating. I have the Ultra. I've removed the lowers, added the lowers changed out the stock windshield and replaced it with the 9.5" clearview recurve...no luck. I came from a BMW 1200LT with the adjustable window. Anyone that knows the LT it is bigger and heavier than the UC. The one thing I believe makes all the difference is on the BMW the window obviously does not get bigger or smaller the window stays the same exact size (I know this sounds stupid but stay with me). What happens is the window physically raises up, when this happens a gap opens at the bottom of the screen and gets larger the higher you place the windshield. It is the gap in the bottom that I believe reduces the pressure and cleans up the wind. I know this to be fact as evidenced by the fact that the INSIDE of the windshield was always dirtier than the outside of the windshield. I would place the windshield as low as comfortable to get the most air on me as possible. Yes I could ride in the rain and I would get no rain on my face. Before some smart *** makes a comment, no I don't want to sell my Harley and go back to BMW. How does this help us? Why can't some engineering folk design an adjustable screen for the batwings? Are you listening Harley this was my single favorite thing on the BMW. I was in absolute comfort because not all people are the same size and frame; I believe the majority of the buffeting has to do with the exact fit of the screen. Being adjustable make the ride enjoyable; I don't want a car I just want air that doesn't scramble my brain.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:23 PM
marcparnes
Road Captain

Check out post #87 above. I think this setup in combination with your lowers will give you a ride as close to the Beemer as possible taking into consideration the design of the Batwing fairing.

Marc

Old 12-22-2008, 08:21 PM
AdvLobby
Intermediate

Originally Posted by marcparnes
I now have the combination that eliminates the buffeting to as much as 95%. I have the fork baffle, adjustable fairing deflectors and most importantly, a Cee Bailey's SSC 10" shield. The Cee Bailey's is really what ended up fixing it. I had a 8" Clearview with recurve but the buffeting was still there. I can say now that it is gone! Whew! I just tried a taller 12" Cee Bailey's SSC which was actually quieter with less wind in my face but it was lots hotter and caused pressure on the back of my helmet. The current setup seems to be the ticket. I've already ordered a set of hard lowers which I really don't need now but I think they'll be nice once the cold weather actually gets here (its 90F today).

I hope this helps somebody else with the same problem.

Marc

Can you post a pic, Marc?

Quick Reply: Wind buffeting coming from below