Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using a throat mic or ear conduction (bone) mic for cell phones

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 08:53 PM
HarryDavidson
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone using a throat mic or ear conduction (bone) mic for cell phones

Subject says it all. Anyone have any experience with either of these? I've used throat mics while flying before, but not with a cell and definitely military quality stuff (not consumer quality).

Harry

Old 11-06-2008, 09:07 PM
chromedome
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure if you are talking about bluetooth. I use the "jawbone" which advertises military grade technology. Don't know about that but it is a great piece.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:13 PM
HarryDavidson
Road Captain

Wired or bluetooth...doesn't matter to me. I want to be able to take cell calls while riding without resorting to wearing a helmet or boom mike. Do you use it while riding and if so, how well does it work? Can you get reasonable volume? Can the party on the other end hear you clearly?

Harry

Last edited by HarryDavidson; 11-06-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:20 PM
chromedome
Road Master

Originally Posted by HarryDavidson
Wired or bluetooth...doesn't matter to me. I want to be able to take cell calls while riding without resorting to wearing a helmet or boom mike. Do you use it while riding and if so, how well does it work? Can you get reasonable volume? Can the party on the other end hear you clearly?

Harry
It is a bluetooth and works with your cell. I've tried a few and this one is the best IMO. www.jawbone.com. Read about it's science on their site.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:23 PM
chromedome
Road Master

I don't wear it while riding and I would imagine it wouldn't serve that purpose unless the mic was protected from the wind. Don't think any conventional bluetooth will.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:28 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking for this set-up for a while. The only thing I have found are the aviation ones and they cost big bucks!

Old 11-06-2008, 10:33 PM
chromedome
Road Master

Cheaper to just let it go to voice mail

Old 11-06-2008, 11:15 PM
HarryDavidson
Road Captain

May try this one...supposedly will work on a bike. http://www.bikeintercom.com/products...throat_mic.htm.

As for voice mail, I commute 35-45 minutes each way. When I drive my truck, I chat with my dad all the way to work (he's 68 and appreciates the contact). On the way home, I usually catch up with buddies...just trying to make use of the 1-1.5 hours of dead time every day.

Harry

Last edited by HarryDavidson; 11-06-2008 at 11:19 PM.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:58 PM
hamnhog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryDavidson
May try this one...supposedly will work on a bike. http://www.bikeintercom.com/products...throat_mic.htm.

As for voice mail, I commute 35-45 minutes each way. When I drive my truck, I chat with my dad all the way to work (he's 68 and appreciates the contact). On the way home, I usually catch up with buddies...just trying to make use of the 1-1.5 hours of dead time every day.

Harry
I've just started looking at throat mics for FRS radios. They should also work for cell phones, though the connections may have to be rigged a bit. One brand that looks interesting to me is IXCESSORY (don't have link handy but you could google the name). Under $50 and sounds like it has some handy features. Give it a look.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:40 AM
drbillk
Tourer

Like those throat mics; however, want it to connect to my Harley factory setup... not just a cell phone. I have my cell connect, via bluetooth, to my Zumo that's hooked into the Harley factory system. Would be nice to use it without a helmet, or with a half helmet when I wear one.

So, I just sent an email to the company at bikeintercom.com. Seems to me that J&M can have different bottoms to connect to a variety of bikes... how hard could it be to do the same for this setup? I'll let you know what I hear from them. Some others may be interested too. If there's anyone who has taken a setup like theres and adapted it to the Harley system, let us know.

Quick Reply: Anyone using a throat mic or ear conduction (bone) mic for cell phones