Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone using a throat mic or ear conduction (bone) mic for cell phones

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 08:42 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Talk when you get off your bike. There are already enough distractions and distracted people on the road.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:45 AM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks drbillk i will be waiting to hear what you find out.......Awsome thread..I was just wondering the same thing. Thanks all.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:24 AM
TideRKC
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by anubisss
Talk when you get off your bike. There are already enough distractions and distracted people on the road.

Like iPods

Old 11-07-2008, 02:03 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

Originally Posted by hamnhog
I've just started looking at throat mics for FRS radios. They should also work for cell phones, though the connections may have to be rigged a bit. One brand that looks interesting to me is IXCESSORY (don't have link handy but you could google the name). Under $50 and sounds like it has some handy features. Give it a look.

http://www.ixcessory.com/Merchant/me...egory_Code=XTM

Looks interesting

Old 11-07-2008, 02:05 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

Originally Posted by drbillk
Like those throat mics; however, want it to connect to my Harley factory setup... not just a cell phone. I have my cell connect, via bluetooth, to my Zumo that's hooked into the Harley factory system. Would be nice to use it without a helmet, or with a half helmet when I wear one.

So, I just sent an email to the company at bikeintercom.com. Seems to me that J&M can have different bottoms to connect to a variety of bikes... how hard could it be to do the same for this setup? I'll let you know what I hear from them. Some others may be interested too. If there's anyone who has taken a setup like theres and adapted it to the Harley system, let us know.
Same thing I would like to do.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:34 PM
Thirdup
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For throat mics I talked to these guys a few years ago about a HD plug for an ultra and they said they were working on it (I've never seen it added to their site, though). Reasonable prices and they look to be quality gear. Could be a way to retro fit to a HD headset, but I never followed thru with it.

http://www.clearercom.com/

Many years ago (mid-80's) we used ear-conduction ear buds on radios at work. Amazingly clear and totally free from background noise (excellent for voice activated comms). At the time (pre-bluetooth), people would give us the oddest looks thinking we were talking to ourselves. I've no idea why we don't see that technology used more, it was *really* crystal clear for comms. The only issue we ever had was having to issue a set of ear piece caps (the little rubber piece that fits over the stem of the ear bud and into the ear) for each employee. The soft rubber ribs were kind of an earwax magnet so you had to clean them pretty often. Kinda like earplugs, not something you really want to share with someone else.

Last edited by Thirdup; 11-07-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:57 PM
John K
Intermediate

GT RoadGlide, not to change the direction of the thread. But wanted to ask you how you like your Motovation trailer? I stopped by the factory and liked what I saw. The only thing that concerned me about the trailers was the small 10" wheels. Some of the other trailer manufactures cite larger size wheels as added benefits to their trailers. Anyway, your thoughts on the trailer. Thanks

Old 11-07-2008, 03:41 PM
HarryDavidson
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by anubisss
I fly helicopters in combat for a living, so I consider myself quite capable of carrying on a phone conversation, hands free, while riding. Thanks for your concern

Harry