Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone with unigo trailer experience?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 08:48 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default anyone with unigo trailer experience?

Hey guys,

I'm planning on taking several weekend trips with my kids next year camping on the bike. I am gonna be looking for some more storage and am thinking a unigo trailer may be just what I'm looking for. Not too large/heavy of a trailer, leans with the bike, smaller initial investment. Most of the trips will probably be ~500 mile trips so it's not like it's gonna get a ton of miles on it every time it is hooked up.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Digger53
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine been using one with a Wing and loves it. Last year he did a trip across the USA and up into Alaska. Never had a problem with it.

Digger

Old 11-06-2008, 10:04 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,227 Likes on 1,842 Posts

What are the prices you are looking at on the unigo? Are you going to get it paint-to-match? If money is an issue, the piggybacker is pretty good deal. I'm still debating on which way I want to go with a trailer or a tent trailer.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:56 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Not trying to hijack this thread but I like the idea of a single wheel trailer for its tracking capabilities and have my eye on a Monogo trailer. The problem is they don't ship to the US yet. They are only a short hop over the border though, just outside Montreal. Road trip...

Old 11-07-2008, 08:02 AM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dawg
What are the prices you are looking at on the unigo? Are you going to get it paint-to-match? If money is an issue, the piggybacker is pretty good deal. I'm still debating on which way I want to go with a trailer or a tent trailer.
It looks like it is $2900 with hitch,wiring, trailer and install if I go up there and pick it up in Ohio. I'll probably just get a black one and leave it alone. I would like to repaint my bike a different color and will probably just do it all at the same time if/when that happens. I will look at the piggybacker. I'm not gonna say that price isn't a factor especially in todays economy but the trailer will likely be something that I will hold on to and put on bikes that I will have in the future. For about another $1k I can get a bushtec but I like the idea of how the unigo leans with the bike in a turn.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:19 AM
sped
Road Captain
Received 93 Likes on 54 Posts

What about something like this one? I paid about $700 for the kit delivered with led lighting. Tows well, and probably as much storage space as the one you're looking at. About 8 cubic feet.

Attached Thumbnails anyone with unigo trailer experience?-100_1162.jpg  
Old 11-07-2008, 08:23 AM
sped
Road Captain
Received 93 Likes on 54 Posts

Sorry. Website is www.alsmotorcycleaccessories.com Hope this helps.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I owned a Uni-Go when I had my K1200LT. The Uni-Go is damn near the ideal trailer for the person that wants a reasonable amount of extra carry space. If you need the extra room of a Bushtec or other two wheel trailer you'll be disappointed with Uni-Go, but outside of the large capacity needs you can't beat 'em. I carried a *large* tent, air mattress, tarps, tools, & all necessary camping gear when I used it for camping. When we weren't camping we carried nearly all our clothing & daily use items in the Uni-Go because it will roll right into any room you end up using. We would roll it through a motel lobby, onto the elevator, into the room, & just live out of it without having to unpack if we weren't stayin' for several days.

On the road it had almost no effect on the motorcycle. Not enough weight to make much of a change in stopping. Minimal effect on acceleration, & absolutely dead center tracking. Got carried away followin' a friend around Atlanta once & found myself in the low triple digits till I remembered I was towin'. Slowed down to the 85 mph the trailer tire is rated at, & scolded myself.

The only difficulty I ever experienced (& it comes with any trailer) was in backing. Looking over your shoulder doesn't work, & the short tongue length makes for quick jack knifing. The trick turned out to be watching in the mirrors & correcting at the *first* sign of the trailer moving off track. It wasn't an issue often, but you definitely want to back into parking spaces. Pulling out of them is easier than backing out.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:58 AM
Theakerr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Alternative

Try also http://www.cyclope2000.com/ Also in Canada. I believe they do ship to the US. I think it is cheaper than the price you are quoting. A friend with an airhead BMW has one and he is very happy with it

Old 11-07-2008, 04:23 PM
leeinmemphis
Road Warrior

Thanks guys. I'm gonna do some more thinking about it over the weekend but I think I'll probably go on ahead and order one. The bushtec is probably a little better deal for the money but I ride pretty hard at times and like the idea of the trailer leaning with the bike. Plus being able to hand roll it into a hotel would be nice just for an overnight stay at a hotel.

Quick Reply: anyone with unigo trailer experience?