Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AIR/FUEL ratio

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 06:22 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Streetrunner: What is your fuel milleage? I ask because that will be a good indicator of whether your bike is rich. If your mpg is 40+, and your engine temps suggest that it is, the exhaust smell is probably the result of the denser air supporting more fuel for the same AFR, so the exhaust has more unburned fuel though the AFR remains the same.

As for a dyno AFR trace going below 13, that's common--at WOT an excess amount of fuel is added to compensate for the relatively inefficient burn of the fuel, especially with carbed bikes which don't atomize fuel as well as EFI bikes. However, as the rpms increase the mixture should be leaned out even at WOT.

Last edited by Harleypingman; 11-08-2008 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 01:05 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by DuraGlide
Not trying to be a smart@ss but do you think maybe the turn-down tips are part of the problem? Denser air in the fall may change the air flow around the bags and cause the exhaust to swirl up around the rider?
Don't think you're being a smart *** because I considered the same thing. I put my slash cuts back on and still have the same problem.
That sig pic is old and my SG have gone through a few cosmetic changes since that was taken. I'm to lazy to figure out how to get a new pic on this site. It took me a lot of time to get this one posted.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hdxbones
The O.P. says it happens during DECELERATION- I think I'd look at the decel enleanment tables in the SERT software, maybe the tuner richened them up to prevent decel popping?
When I brought it back to the tuner that was the first thing he attempted to change. It didn't change things. Of course it could be him, I don't know.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:13 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Streetrunner: What is your fuel milleage? I ask because that will be a good indicator of whether your bike is rich. .
Here's the funny thing; in the summer I get 41 - 45 and when the weather gets a little cooler I get anywhere from 32 -36. So, yes, the smell = richness. The real question is, "why does it change so dramatically?"

Old 11-08-2008, 02:38 PM
hdxbones
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
Here's the funny thing; in the summer I get 41 - 45 and when the weather gets a little cooler I get anywhere from 32 -36. So, yes, the smell = richness. The real question is, "why does it change so dramatically?"
Perhaps it's a problem with the intake air temp reading- faulty sensor or corrupt tables in the tuning file....

Old 11-08-2008, 06:26 PM
speedglide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlockHead96
Mine drops off below 13. at 3000R's according to the dyno, what do I do??
I assume you are running true duals? From what I have read, it's the result of exhaust reversion due to the 2 into 2 and the bike will run rich around 2500-3000. It needs to be leaned out in that area, by way of tuning.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:43 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My vote would be for the PCIII. Probably because I have a PCIII and as we all know, humans will usually claim that whatever they bought is the best. I have a few different custom maps on my laptop.

1) Local Map

2) Long Cruise Map

3) Altitude Map

I takes about 3 minutes for me to change maps according to my trip plans or my mood. Hook up the USB cable, highlight my map, and click on send map. So easy even I can do it. I don't have ABS so the PCIII is easily accessible and located under my starboard side cover. That's my .02.