Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Software Upgrade? XM/Sirius

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 08:07 PM
HawgriderPa
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Radio Software Upgrade? XM/Sirius

Anyone heard anything about a software upgrade for the Harmon Kardon radio so it can receive Sirius channels as well as the XM channels?

I see for the car, if you want to select channels "a la carte" from XM and Sirius, you need one of the dual receiver add on tuners.

Since the HD radio's software programable, I'm guessing a software upgrade would allow the reception of Sirius channels. ???

Old 11-04-2008, 08:21 PM
Lyfer
Tourer

Teh radio doesn't look like it has much to do with the satellite module except that the module attaches to the top of the radio. I thought that XM and Sirius are one and the same now anyway. Why would a person need to upgrade to receive Sirius?
Just asking cuz I don't have a clue about satelllite radio.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

To get best of Sirius on your Xm just call XM you will get Howard Stern NASCAR, NFL, and they will charge you $4.95 a month. Your XM will never get all the Sirius channels. I edited this because I just called and added best of and it was less than $5 a month.

Last edited by Trock; 11-05-2008 at 02:52 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:32 PM
HarryDavidson
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

They use a different system...the only way you get XM on Sirius or Sirius on XM is to buy a "Best of..." package.

Harry

Old 11-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Mike5959
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I;m surprised there isn't a sirius module that will work with the hk radio. I prefer the sirius channels over xm.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:59 PM
HarryDavidson
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Why are you surprised? Before they merged, they were in competition, and they forced OEMs to choose one or the other. Fords have Sirius, Chevy has XM. Why would you expect the MoCo to be any different?

Harry

Old 11-05-2008, 05:28 AM
Mike5959
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HarryDavidson
Why are you surprised? Before they merged, they were in competition, and they forced OEMs to choose one or the other. Fords have Sirius, Chevy has XM. Why would you expect the MoCo to be any different?

Harry
I am surprised because the aftermarket has made plent of retro fit rcvr to fit cars that came stock with xm. Its a common mod for cars.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:05 AM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mike5959
I am surprised because the aftermarket has made plent of retro fit rcvr to fit cars that came stock with xm. Its a common mod for cars.
You can't even find a xm receiver for the HK that's not HD. Hd made sure if you want to use the HK radio you have to go thru HD to get xm. That's why they charge $500 for the box, because they know they can. If you can't find a XM aftermarket receiver your not going to find a Siruis.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:28 PM
HawgriderPa
Road Captain

I'm not interested in the Best of.. from either service..

Each service has an "a la cart" option where you can pick which channels you want.. it just happens that most of the channels I want are on Sirius..
I've got Sirius in the car and truck. right now, I've got the XM built in to the HD radio, and I've got a Starmate for Sirius added on.
I just don't like the added "hang on"

Old 11-05-2008, 01:51 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I don't get all the BS about Serius and XM compatability. If the programming exists it can simply be broadcast through either company's equipment. The crossover could easily be made at the studio broadcast level instead of at the satellite or at your radio. Obviously that's why you can get the "best of" the other regardless of which equipment you have. There should be no reason to get new gear or to pay for "best of". Combine the best features of both and broadcast it to both systems.

Quick Reply: Radio Software Upgrade? XM/Sirius