Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Keys!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 06:02 PM
dalv
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Keys!!!!

Here we come!

Hello all, I'm a lurker...H-D wanna be. Faithful reader of the forum as I await the day when I can go in the showroom and ride out with a new H-D.

Just so you all know how pitiful I am.. I ride a '78 Yammy XS750 Special I bought new in '78. Kept her clean and upright (for the most part) with a custom seat and Windjammer for the last 30 years, since I brought her home from the dealer. Wanted a H-D at the time but Brunswick was running the mother ship at the time so I stayed with the Jap ride. Can't say it was a bad decision, still runs nice and I love her.

So, your saying what the hell does this have to do with the Keys? Well, my wife and I have rented an Ultra from Orlando H-D for 11/14 - 11/21 to ride to the Keys and meet up with my older brother and SO. He just traded up from an '04 Standard to a (Sunglo Red) '09 Classic and loves it! (I'm soo jealous!)

For now, it's the closest I can get to owning a tourer until my youngest gets thru college - 2 more years. It's a SG or (likely) RG for me. Used to the Windjammer frame mount so I might be a disciple of the "dark side".

We are planning on riding from Orlando to West Palm the first day to visit relatives and then to the Keys the 2nd day. I know there is not a lot of options for the route but any recommended points of interest on the way down would be appreciated.

So, wish us luck and I hope I can turn it back in when the ride is over!!

Thanks to all for the great reading and dreaming of the day to come.... Ride Safe

Old 11-04-2008, 06:07 PM
questor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great! Enjoy the ride and remember what they say in the old country "keep ur legs crossed!"

OUT

Old 11-04-2008, 06:08 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member

Have fun on your trip. You're going to fall in love with the UC, brace yourself for heartbreak the day you have to turn her in. You ARE going to have a blast! Ride safe.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Nitzo
Cruiser

One road in, one out. Your route options are small. As you travel down to Key West, you can explore the different keys that you encounter. If you are planning on making it from, say Miami to Key West in a day, it's very doable but don't waste alot of time along the way. I have been down there, maybe 20 times. Sometimes the traffic flows real well, other times, it's slow going in some areas. Since there is only one road, there is always the chance of an accident, if it's bad enough, you don't go anywhere. I guess what I'm saying is, leave yourself plenty of time to get there. If you get in early, I promise you won't be dissapointed, there is plenty to do.

I just re-read you post. You are going from West Palm to Key West? It's going to be a ride. West Palm has some horrible traffic and so does Miami. Plan on it being a good day. I ride from Daytona down there in a day. My ride from Daytona to West Palm is wide open, but from there on is lots of traffic.

Be very very careful riding in South Florida, drivers don't care about you at all. Ride safe.

Last edited by Nitzo; 11-04-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:14 PM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

might be a little busy around Homestead, FL....last Nascar race of the year....Or attend, Seats have been very easy to get this year. Or ride the HD and watch the video of the race.....yea, the later. XS 750 Special,.... memories. My Dad had one, new also, got my license at 16 and could not wait, thought woo hoo I get to ride the 750 on the street ! THEN he said any bike I have except the 750...bummer. Soooo my choice XT 500 Yamaha, single cylinder, 4 stroke, kick start...and I weighed 100# wet. LOL.

Have a safe and enjoyable trip!

Old 11-04-2008, 06:28 PM
timvan
Road Warrior

Im jealous of your excursion..esp since I grew up in Palm Beach and have not been back since the early 80's

Old 11-04-2008, 06:33 PM
Jager
Cruiser

Welcome from de-lurk mode, dalv. I had an XS-750 back in the day. Rode it to Daytona in March of 1979. Terrific bike and a terrific trip, though I froze my *** in those pre-electric days (no fairing on mine). Then moved to an XS-1100 later that spring. Good bikes, those XS's...

Keep the faith. You'll have that Harley soon enough. I bought my first one a little over a year ago; picked it up in January. Best bike, bar none, I've ever owned. You'll love it in a couple years when you get yours.

Enjoy the trip. I'm considering a trip to the keys myself next spring and so am interested in the replies here.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:43 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Good luck, have a nice trip....and remember, "You never get too old to ride, you get old because you don't ride".... All my kids have graduated college, and just when I thought I could buy a new bike, I can't afford it... Go figure.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:56 PM
rfultra
Road Master

OK Mr Dalv, you guys have a safe trip and enjoy the bike. you will indeed fall in love with it. Wish i could help with your route, but...... alas i can't. i do recommend though that you find a small town with a, not too busy main street. Go down the road slowly, looking at youself and your bride in the store front windows. You will look so good that she will likely tell you to go ahead and buy that bike! Oh yes, and don't trade your 78 off, it's a keeper.
rick

Old 11-04-2008, 08:08 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm betting you don't last two more years before purchase after your trip

Quick Reply: The Keys!!!!