Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Keys!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 03:39 AM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Weather will be good, best time of the year to ride, bring long sleeve shirt might get down to 50 -60 degrees.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:31 AM
HB
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out Bud And Marys. It has been a long time since I was there. If I remember right it was above Marathon. There is several party charters available that are a lot of fun to fish off of. It was around $45 per person . Probably around 65 now. They usually have a kitchen and air conditioned area to sit while on your way. They will clean your fish when you get in. Big fish pot also. One time while I was out the big fish was a king mackeral that got bit in half by a barracuda. The half weighed 29 lbs. Ride Safe and enjoy the trip. One more thing if you want a private off shore trip look up Blue Chip Two with Skip Bradeen. He has a great charter.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by dalv
OK ... (1) week from today I will be getting ready to go to the airport! It feels like Christmas!!!!! Now all I need is HD to offer 0% financing ;-)
Be careful what you wish for. LOL

There's another thread going on now about price and there is a posting about possible incentives from H-D.

A later poster in that same thread said signs were up in his local dealership about 1.99% financing.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:39 PM
dalv
Intermediate

Geez X 1.99% - don't tell me that! Well, Orlando H-D is a big dealership (where we are picking up the rental) might have some posters up for the wife to see.

HB - thanks for the fishin' leads, will check it out

MB - get down to 50-60... cool? That's what we are having up here in NY - 20 degrees above normal so were are basking in the heat wave and loving that the furnace isn't running. I'll bring the long sleeve.

Went to AAA today - they are putting a trip planner together, told them I want secondary, scenic roads - off the interstate as much as possible. Be interested to see what they come up with.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:49 PM
Nitzo
Cruiser

Trust me on this...... Take the turnpike. If you stay on I-95 it will dump you in Miami and become US-1 right before your eyes. All of sudden you are on an interstate next thing you are one 4-lane highway in the middle of a city. Take the turnpike it will end, but you will be in Homestead (where you want to be). There are two roads from Homestead to Key Largo, one is US1, the other is Card Sound road. I have seen other posters talking about Card Sound road. It does nothing for you other than seeing some different scenery. It only cuts out (not even cuts-out, but changes)maybe 20 miles of road for you. Once you are in Key Largo ( the northen most key) there is only one way in and one way out to Key West. For years I lived in Miami. Card Sound does nothing for you, trust me. On your first trip down, don't bother with it. Unless US1 is closed and there will be troopers and sherriffs telling you it is closed.......Pm me if you have any questions on this, I know it well.

Last edited by Nitzo; 11-07-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 08:15 PM
rfultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Dalv, one last thought about the bike, the trip, & the wife. My wife & i sold our bike in 1987 to raise our kids. Well they are raised and working now, our twins still at home but it's safe to leave them at home alone. The first of this year we bought another bike, and my wife and i are closer than we have been in years. The hours we spend together, just the two of us, and the laughter we share can not be bought at any price. So......... buy the bike, and take her out for an ice cream and few good laughs.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:17 PM
lmb1485
Tourer

you'll never forget a ride.be safe and enjoy

Old 11-08-2008, 06:21 AM
HB
Road Captain

I still like the trip down 29 to 41 then over to homestead. No tolls. No traffic. Lots of water and open woods. Alligators in the ditches and maybe on the road.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:19 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Having made the trip a lot, I would recommend getting on the Turnpike in W. Palm and bypassing everything. It will drop you off where you need to be. Once you are off the turnpike, expect about 3 hours to get to Key West. It is a beautiful ride.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Taddeoeg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Little bro, we're just gonna have to get you more computer-literate! Streets and Trips is WAY better than AAA, google, or any of the others. I'll toss my old cd in the bag and bring it along. Then I'll see if I can convince your wife to install it for you back home. <BEG>

Card Sound Road puts you onto the keys further up than US1, so while it will add some distance it will also let you see some of the Upper Keys you'll otherwise miss. I'd forgotten about that option but may check it out. If so, we'll call Friday night and let you know how it went.

T

Quick Reply: The Keys!!!!