Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Keys!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by nytryder
I would highly recommend the Turnpike over I-95. I have been to the Keys several times. First time I went 95 to save a couple bucks. Never ever again. If you do take 95 make sure your will is in order, your next of kin will be thankful. South of Homestead the scenery picks up. Watch the roads though. There are tourists and often are tired or drunk. Be safe and have a great time.
Thanks ny. You've done him a favor and confirmed what our thoughts were when 4 of us did the ride last year using 95, but considered maybe it was just us.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:20 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Probably a mistake to rent a HD. I rdoe Hondas and Yamahas for years but after getting on a HD - you can't go back.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:24 PM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Below Homestead you can pick up 905 to the east and then south to RT 1 again and it will save a little time and even has a couple curves. Besides the scenery it will be a pretty boring ride with straight roads and busy traffic, not a true test but still enjoy the Harley and hope you get one soon. Congrads on putting your kids first.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:59 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

This may sound crazy but make sure you stop at Robbie's Dock. I think it's in Islamorada on the right side just as you cross a small bridge. Look for the old worn out sign.
For about a dollar you can walk out on a small dock and feed fish to trophy size tarpin. Hundreds of them. Some are 150 lbs. or more. You'll only stay a few minutes but you'll never forget it.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:27 PM
upright
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a great trip! And here's some love for the old XS series from Yamaha. I had a '79 XS1100 that was a great bike and fun to ride. But once I experienced the thumpeta-thumpeta of my Road King and it's lower center of gravity, it was all over for me.

-Craig

Old 11-05-2008, 02:45 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Good luck to you! Your going to have a ball!!!!

Old 11-05-2008, 03:01 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

You're done.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:29 PM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't forget your rain gear.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:50 PM
CSP067
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

One more vote for the turnpike over I-95. Not only is it faster, but it extends farther to the south ... 95 ends in Miami and dumps you off abruptly into the uncaring traffic. The turnpike, although it has tolls, is a far better choice.

With respect to those who suggest other roads, there is a lot of merit in those ideas, but for my money, you want to hustle down to the end of the turnpike in Florida City where the Overseas Highway begins and runs the 120+ miles to Key West. I would recommend using Card Sound Road, an option right at the beginning of the Overseas Hwy. It normally has less traffic and IMO is a prettier ride. There's one toll on the road ($1.00) but right before the toll is Alabama Jack's, a great place to stop for a bite to eat and a frequent hangout for those on two wheels. You'll join the Overseas Hwy right at the beginning of Key Largo, and the rest of the ride is just enjoying the scenery.

Above all, have a great time, take pictures, do the "Duval Crawl" while in Key Weird, and keep us all posted on your progress.

Old 11-06-2008, 03:38 AM
dalv
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The various route suggestions are much appreciated - keep 'em coming!

"You're done" MB = LOL - your probably right!

The countdown has begun :-)

Quick Reply: The Keys!!!!