Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Keys!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Have a great trip, and remember what I always say: "Take your camera and post a ride report in the Road Trip section!"

Actually, I don't ALWAYS say that - but I'm always eager to read a good ride report. With pictures. Lotsa pictures.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:38 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 177 Posts

Perhaps one of the Floridians could answer this but are they going to have a choice for a distance of either taking 95S or the Florida Turnpike? If so, shouldn't they take the turnpike?

Riding to the Keys on a motorcycle is a great experience.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You two will have a blast! You will also hate giving her back.
My wife and I rented an Ultra last year and I bought one a month later.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:11 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Aint NO WAY you are gonna make two more years. NO WAY at all!!!! Enjoy the trip, and the ULTRA.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:57 AM
dalv
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You guys are probably right about waiting two more years, hopefully we can swing it sooner. After all, I've certainly been patient - 30 yrs worth!

I did buy a beater enduro DR650 last fall and rebuilt it over the winter - fun project and bike for about a grand. Might do that again this winter. Sometimes you can find deals on old bikes that have been sitting in garage and just need a little TLC. Makes the snowy days pass quicker.

rfultra - sounds like a plan! I think I'll try that. We were in a HD dealer in Vermont a month ago (Wilkins - good people) shooting the breeze while the bride picked thru the clearance stuff. Talking to a couple who did just that...rented a bike and upon returning home she told him "go buy one!" One can only hope :-) (Sound familar Scorp?)

Pastor - I will have my canon with me and will try an post a ride report with pics. I visit advrider site alot and those guys have some great stories and reports. It is worth a look to read some of the places to visit, no matter what type of bike you ride.

Timber - my brother mentioned the race and avoiding the traffic...not a bad idea on stopping in to see it, never been to NASCAR - would be fun. Nice to hear about your Dad's 750 - he should have kept it! My two sons enjoy the hell out of mine. Gotta admit though, it took about 25 years before I would let anybody ride it.

bigsky - hang in there buddy, I gotta a feelin we're both on the list for new rides...just a matter of time. It'll happen.

Nice comments on my old 750. I had a GMC p/u for 25 years until recently. Tend to buy new and hold on forever. Just what I plan on doing with my RG when it finally makes it to the barn..just turned 50 so by the time I'm 75 it will be time to turn it over to the boys - bet it's still in great shape!

Nitzo - point well taken on WP to KW, not planning any marathon rides - don't want to burn out the wife and take the fun out of it. If we get side tracked or slowed down due to traffic, hopefully we can find a bed an take another day to the Keys. Told my brother we plan on being there Sat nite but if it doesn't work out we get there Sunday. Bottom line I want her to enjoy it as much as I plan to. She has been my pillon for 30+ years and loves to ride. With the luxury of the Ultra and the south florida weather, it should be a recipe for memories.

So to all you that took the time to post - Thanks for the good will. Look forward to the trip, will keep it safe, and if I can figure out how to post pics - I'll do a report when we get back. Ciao

Old 11-05-2008, 06:28 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Have a safe trip to Keys. There's no country roads for you to enjoy from W.P. to Keys. All jammed traffic so be ULTRA careful. I guarantee that you'll love that Ultra you'll be renting and buying one in the near future since it's got alot of storage space unlike the SG. Go Big and dress her down to SG with the help of detachable tour pak kit and take the lower fairings off. Best of both worlds, Eh ?.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:33 AM
HB
Road Captain

You can go down through Immokalee and come across on highway 80. Long open roads with a few small towns. I done this in reverse when I bought my bike in Pompano at Dixie Cycles. It runs through sugar cain and vegie feilds. This would let you stretch out and get used to the bigger bike. Good Luck and ride safe

Old 11-05-2008, 09:55 AM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Xcrossbow
Perhaps one of the Floridians could answer this but are they going to have a choice for a distance of either taking 95S or the Florida Turnpike? If so, shouldn't they take the turnpike?

Riding to the Keys on a motorcycle is a great experience.
I would highly recommend the Turnpike over I-95. I have been to the Keys several times. First time I went 95 to save a couple bucks. Never ever again. If you do take 95 make sure your will is in order, your next of kin will be thankful. South of Homestead the scenery picks up. Watch the roads though. There are tourists and often are tired or drunk. Be safe and have a great time.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:09 AM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're set on going to West Palm and then heading down to the keys, take US98 (west) out of West Palm to US27 south to SR997 to US1, gas up before leaving, you don't want to stop in Belle Glade. The keys are one of the most unique places in the US, I ride down 5 or 6 times a year and it never gets old.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:34 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

It's a Yamaha but at least you're Ridin'!

You should have negotiated with your older brother for his 04 Standard before he traded it.

As for the later choice to come, if you like the Ultra, you're gonna LOVE the new Road Glides! Let us know when you get one and we'll foward the "secret handshake" from the Dark Side...

Quick Reply: The Keys!!!!