Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank Slapper

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 11:18 AM
dlh62c
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad your OK.That's why you wear the gear all the time... always...always have an escape route.

Here's a video of a tank slapper/severe wobble....for those who haven't seen or experienced one.

daryl

Old 11-05-2008, 12:18 PM
mark10
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

had something like that happen to me a long time ago on a yamaha dirt 250. buzzing around a cinder track and hit some uneven in the track. back and forth and back and forth and kabam. i was young, dumb and full a............ happened so fast just not sure what happened.

i would have no idea how to stop or avoid it.

glad your injuries are not major.

good reason to wear the gear.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Mighty MO
Tourer

Sorry to hear of the accident, glad you are OK and hope you have a speedy recovery.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:17 PM
Moby
Cruiser

Thanks to all of you for your kind thoughts and well wishes. I think this was a rare event, but I still would like to know what to do when this happens while in a curve. The self-correcting ability might work on a straight-away, but is there enough time on a curve?

Old 11-05-2008, 06:26 PM
shekmark
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just made the move myself and got better gear. Tried First Gear Kilamanjaro, Aerostitch Darien and Olympia AST . Sent all but the Olympia back. It fit and looked the best to me. Got tired of dealing with rain suits and this stuff is protective Pants fit great, not too bulky.

Old 11-05-2008, 06:39 PM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior

Moby, I think deceleration would bring the weight back to the front forks and stop the slap with easing on the front brakes...

JMO, in a curve and hammering the throttle, the front weight goes to nill... kinda like a bit of a wheelie, the wheel is a giant gyroscope, and if it is spinning with minimal force to the ground and you hit something laterally, it will sent that force to the rear causing an out of control wobble, getting off the throttle may cancel it...

Not an expert, but just seems logical...

Old 11-05-2008, 06:40 PM
ballpeen
Tourer

Im glad your all right, It gave me chills reading this, for I have been there, It happens very fast, and You'll never forget it. We installed a stabilizer on our 08 ,,,just in case.. I know if it happens when my wife is on, the party would be over. Tim

Old 11-05-2008, 06:52 PM
CSP067
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow. Thanks for sharing that story!! Like everyone else, glad you survived as well as you did, with a great testimonial to your gear.

Pretty decent discussion on the phenomenon here, with some suggested technique to deal with it (and the above video too):
http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=190

Old 11-06-2008, 01:45 AM
Avmech97
Road Master

Ouch! Glad you're here to tell the story. Had my RG go into a pretty nasty tank slapper/wobble once and I'll be the first to admit that it scared the du-du out of me. Somehow the bike settled down and I was able to continue on without stopping. Guess the hand of God was with me on that day. Get well soon !

Old 11-06-2008, 03:52 AM
dlh62c
Advanced

Originally Posted by shekmark
Just made the move myself and got better gear. Tried First Gear Kilamanjaro, Aerostitch Darien and Olympia AST . Sent all but the Olympia back. It fit and looked the best to me. Got tired of dealing with rain suits and this stuff is protective Pants fit great, not too bulky.
Good man! You can ride with me any time!

I tried the Olympia gear... but fit was an issue. I stopped by Aerostich in June...big mistake... I now own a Darien Lite jacket and pants.

I really don't know why people don't wear the gear. It can keep you cool when it’s hot, warm when it’s cold and dry when it’s wet. Maybe they don't ride enough to justify the cost or don't think a crash will ever happen to them.

You have to wear the gear... if you don't... ask yourself, could you be LOA from work for several months waiting for your skin to regenerate.

My biggest fear is not loosing skin but rupturing my abdomen or injuring my spine.

On the issue of full face helmets, the only short coming I have found with them is the inability to vomit when the need arises…. please don’t ask… so I don’t have to tell.

daryl

Quick Reply: Tank Slapper