Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank Slapper

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 07:03 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad your out of the hospital and on the mend. This is a prime example of why I say the one place you dont want to skimp on spending is on riding gear!

Old 11-04-2008, 07:43 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Glad ya came out as well as ya did! I had that happen once with a 97 Ultra. Don't know what caused it, don't know what cured it. All I know is one second everything was fine, the next second bars slapping from side to side of tank, and the next second, everything was just fine again. I didn't go down, but I will NEVER know why I didn't! Hope ya figure it all out someday. RIDE SAFE!!!!

Old 11-04-2008, 07:52 PM
weezo
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to just worry about dropping my bike in a parking lot. This scares the hell out of me. I had a guy pass me, doing probably 85+, and as he made a turn in front of me he had the same thing happen. He managed to hang on - I'm watching and not breathing - and then he stood on his pegs and thrust his fist in the air when he came out of it. Never forgot that...

Old 11-04-2008, 08:16 PM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you're OK, I've ridden for 30+ years myself and have had this happen, (self induced) riding without hands on the bars.. It was very minor and quit when I grabbed the bars... I was also on a Kaw 1000 LTD.. My brother had it happen to him on an old 250 Kaw streetbike... and Scared the crap out of him..
My thoughts are, the bikes need to be maintained (not saying yours was not) ALL THE TIME... things tightened, checked and re-checked.. EVERY TIME YOU RIDE...

And believe me, after reading your detailed post about the accident, I will be checking things a bit better..

What an awesome account of such a tragic event, Glad your OK and Ride On Brother...

Old 11-04-2008, 09:04 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've never had this happen but WOW what a terrifying event. It's a phenomenon I never have heard anyone be able to explain why it happens. Sounds like it's hit or miss as to whether you go down or not when it occurs.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am glad you are Ok. I have seen Harley Test rider in action at Talladega doing this test an it is disturbing at the least. They get these bike's going at speed between 60-80, then move to the passenger area of the seat then, and I am not exagurating this pull the bar to full left lock. This front end was introduced in 1980 on the FLT and has been pretty much untouched since. It is refered to as a "self centering" front end, and revolutionized the dressers handling. These riders set on the back of the bike while you see the front end go from full left to full right fork stops for a couple times then right themselves. I have heard of a few riders have issues while cornering going into a speed wobble and it is one of two things. The steering head adjustment isn't correct or it is something they hit while cornering. i think the incident is with an obsticle in the road and not the design. Sounds like an accident and nothing else and I am glad you are here to talk about it. Ride on.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:11 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad to here your ok. I will have them check the neck barrings!

Old 11-04-2008, 10:04 PM
DRAFT1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had a tank slapper experience on a ST1100 sport touring Honda at low speed. I know now that it was an oddly worn front tire. Like you, I am an experienced rider (40 years) but I dropped my guard by not paying attention to abnormal wear on the tire. This has caused me to do things, such as a pre-flight check on my Harley now. I have become more aware of problems as stated above for the "wobble" such as bearing wear, tire pressure, shock settings, along with who, what, and how much weight I have on the bike. I still say a lot of the accidents happen at "high speed" or speeds above what one should be going. In your case, I don't know of anything you done wrong, just an unlucky place to hit an object in the road. However, I am not bothered by the fact that I wear all the gear, including full face helmet. Always have, always will. You don't see AMA Racers get up and walk away for no reason. Glad you wear your gear, and glad you have recovered and ready to mount back up. Ride safe.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:33 AM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Glad you are here to be writing this. SOunds like the gear worked well.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:24 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad your OK. I don't think you could have done anything different because when you hit something and it's a lot different then just getting a whobble. The rear tire probable hit it also and that threw you off. I hit a box that had a roll of tar paper in it and the witness said that when the rear hit it bucked me off. I had a splt second to decide and had cars on both sides and behind me so bamb. Glad you had helmet on and wish you a speedy recovery, they can fix the bike.

Quick Reply: Tank Slapper