Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free Fix for Touring Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never experienced a wobble on my bike but I'm sure some have. But I sometimes wonder how many wobble stories are started by Brace sellers.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
There are two kinds of wobble that is talked about a lot, front wheel wobble and rear wheel wobble. The rear wheel is generally caused by pushing the bike hard in curves. The front wheel wobble is caused by crosswinds, rain gooves in road surface or problems with front forks and tires. I know some folks confuse the front wobble with the rear wobble and try to fix the front wobble with a true-track type of fix. That is why I think so many folks say the feel the rear wobble. I know I've push my RKC pretty hard and have never felt the rear wobble. I get the front wobble all day long, which I'm told can be solved with better tires.

If you want to spend money on your bike for peace of mind, that's great. But I'm not sure we should push this on MOCO. I personally have not felt the rear wheel wobble and I think I'm above average in pushing the bikes limits, I just haven't pushed hard enough yet. But, I think the average touring Harley rider will feel the rear wheel wobble.

Beary
Well, since you haven't felt it, and apparently have no idea how to initiate it, then just ignore all of us.....we're all just making it up anyway.

CN

Old 11-04-2008, 11:29 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I currently ride a 07 RG and had a 05 RG. I have had both bikes on the Road America track, pushing them pretty hard and have never felt the rear end wobble. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen only that is has not happened to me. From a design perspective I can see how the problem can take place if the swing arm bushings compress allowing lateral movement.

As for the MOCO they are not going to give money away. If riders who experience the problem do two things the factory may “offer” their solution. If you believe you have a safety problem you should report it to the NHTSA. Then you should contact an attorney about a class action law suit. If the attorneys think the case has merit they will go after it big time. Class action is something companies will try to avoid. And if the engineers the attorneys consult with say the design and materials are ok for the intended purpose, then live with it, fix it or buy a Sportster (non rubber mounted, of course)

Old 11-05-2008, 12:34 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ssbarbich
I ride a 2007 RG and have felt the wobble any time over 80 MPH what did you do for 335 to fix it?
Thank You,
Steve
This is what I did:

I'm hearing that you can get it for $325 to your door if you mention the forum.

My Install thread

Get the TWR kit here

Old 11-05-2008, 12:37 AM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Guess I’m a little old school when it comes to this stuff. When I started this thread, I just thought the Moco might realize the possibility of a totally unintentional design problem and that they actually might WANT do something to make it right. But then I also realize that the Moco is stuck between a rock and a hard-place because of a sue-happy public and the money grabb’n lawyers that are always after any big fish with deep pockets.

I’m convinced that there’s enough legitimate reasons to believe that the “wobble beast” probably does exist and that it might come out to bite someday. So my conclusion, thanks to all the input on this thread, is that it’s MY responsibility to live with the possibility or fix it myself because the Moco will never do anything about it. Hell, maybe they shouldn’t have to. It was just a thought. I’ve read through a few of the other forums this afternoon on the various solutions and studied up a bit on the products. Bagger Brace, True Trak, Throttle-up, Glide Pro and a few others. They all seem very similar in concept. Anyway, I’m leaning towards the Throttle-up Stabilizer. The price looks fair and the owner seems like a fairly straight forward guy that will stand by his product and will make it right if there is a problem. That’s all I can ever ask for in a product.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:04 AM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Clint55
I’m convinced that there’s enough legitimate reasons to believe that the “wobble beast” probably does exist and that it might come out to bite someday. So my conclusion, thanks to all the input on this thread, is that it’s MY responsibility to live with the possibility or fix it myself because the Moco will never do anything about it. Hell, maybe they shouldn’t have to. It was just a thought. I’ve read through a few of the other forums this afternoon on the various solutions and studied up a bit on the products. Bagger Brace, True Trak, Throttle-up, Glide Pro and a few others. They all seem very similar in concept. Anyway, I’m leaning towards the Throttle-up Stabilizer. The price looks fair and the owner seems like a fairly straight forward guy that will stand by his product and will make it right if there is a problem. That’s all I can ever ask for in a product.
I agree with you except that last part. How does a straight forward guy make it right if the product fails and you go down? It's funny (and sad) how many HD owners will spend thousands of dollars to exchange chrome pieces on their ride for a different theme, and then buy a suspension part based on $1-200 difference in price. If all the alternatives were the same price, which one would you buy?

Old 11-05-2008, 12:08 PM
JustDennis
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tombeving
I have an 05 Ultra with 30,000 miles on it and I have never noticed a wobble in curves or anywhere else. In our group there are 5 others that have Ultras, and they have never mentioned it either. If my bike has a wobble it's not worth worrying about.
I have read a lot about the wobble but don't think I ever experienced it. My 96 RK was a little squirrelly on the interstate a few times but my 08 seems very stable. I hope I don't experience it but I have wondered about installing one of the kits anyway. An ounce of prevention kinda thing...

Old 11-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Teachu2
I agree with you except that last part. How does a straight forward guy make it right if the product fails and you go down? It's funny (and sad) how many HD owners will spend thousands of dollars to exchange chrome pieces on their ride for a different theme, and then buy a suspension part based on $1-200 difference in price. If all the alternatives were the same price, which one would you buy?

Haven’t decided for sure yet. That’s what I meant by “leaning towards”. My initial reaction is that most of these stabilizing devices are a very simple and basic design. They seem to be conceptually the same so……. material quality, tolerances and workmanship are the real issues, IMO. I will admit that if the prices were the same, I’d probably go with something that has longer track record and was tested & proven along with more available customer feedback. A couple of hundred dollars does mean a lot to me. I’d really like to order all of them so I could evaluate and then choose one. While we’re on the subject, which product would you suggest and why. .

Old 11-05-2008, 12:20 PM
mazz
Road Master
Received 194 Likes on 117 Posts

200000 miles on ultras no wobble
never went around a corner at 100 either
generaly ride with atleast one hand on the the bars
these might be simply fixes to the wooble
tank slappers are no joke but lets be resonable
Mazz

Old 11-05-2008, 12:45 PM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK I'm confused! The MOCO can charge $20k plus for a MC with documented problems and you want to go after a little guy who can make a product a little cheaper than the big boys with their big overhead. Perhaps you should get the product and evaluate it. If the bike goes down and the problem is originally with the MOCO how can the aftermarket product be the blame?? I'm not a lawyer but the aftermarket product is only trying to correct an existing problem. Enough said.

Quick Reply: Free Fix for Touring Wobble