Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free Fix for Touring Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 11:38 AM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree you were not trying to stir up anything. It was a legitimate question. The issue is probably something you may never encounter. On my 06 road king I only experienced it a couple of times. Both times were the same trip to NC mountains on twisties, riding with other riders to fast on the curves, not my normal way of riding at all. It was very slight in my case, so slight that if I had not been so tuned in to my particular ride, I may not have even noticed it. I really believe this issue gets to much attention on this forum.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:41 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want to know why when people see something they think is a major problem they think "The Moco should pay for it"? Do you really think they will just jump up and recall every thing that gets a few complaints? I think this like many problems are inflated right here. I ride the crap out of my 08UC and have not felt a wobble but if and when i do i will find a solution and fix it, Not cry to get someone else to pay for it.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:51 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Clint55
What I’m hearing from this forum is that my bike has an inherent and recognized design flaw that clearly affects control during NORMAL use on a NORMAL sweeping turn while going the NORMAL speed limit of 50 to 70mph.

Hmm, what is NORMAL riding? I put on 10000 miles this year, 90% of it above 50 mph and I've never felt the wobble.

Beary

Old 11-04-2008, 11:53 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok, maybe I'm just the naive new guy, but here's the question anyway. With all of this stuff I'm reading about this Touring wobble issue, why isn’t the Moco taking some responsibility. OK, I know they supposedly addressed the issue on the 09's, but what about earlier models. What I’m hearing from this forum is that my bike has an inherent and recognized design flaw that clearly affects control during NORMAL use on a NORMAL sweeping turn while going the NORMAL speed limit of 50 to 70mph. It also seems clear that there is a very simple fix or “brace” that will completely solve the problem. The Moco should generate a recall service order and provide the kit to fix it. Does the Moco deny that this problem exists?
Contrary to many of the "old timers" here, I think you're asking a good question. As a longtime supporter of the TWR missing link, I was one of the first on this forum to open this can of worms. Some people say they've never felt the wobble. Some people say they almost died from it. What do you believe?

Do a search for "TWR MISSING LINK." This will educate you.

I personally feel that the $335 I spent was the best money I've spent so far on safety and rideability for my bike. I felt the difference immediately as have many others.

Why hasn't the MOCO admitted fault. That should be obvious. On they other hand, they completely redesigned the chassis of their touring bikes this year touting it as a huge step forward. What does that tell you.

My advice. Spend the money and enjoy the ride. It's just another form of the "Harley Tax" we all pay just like doing a Stage 1 upgrade to your engine. This is a Stage 1 upgrade for your chassis.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps. (I didn't even flame you! )

BTW Clint, you sound like a great guy. Remember to keep that attitude and develop thick skin. You sometime have to weed through a lot of BS until you get a useful answer. It's what makes it FUN!

Steve

Last edited by sifularson; 11-04-2008 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:59 AM
ucommbxny
Road Master

if you feel their is a saftey defect, you should file a complaint with NHTSA. unless owners start filing complaints, the MoCo will keep its current position on this matter. i started a thread on this subject a couple of days ago, if you only make your complaints known on forums the MoCo will not do anything.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/290728-rear-wheel-wobble-complaints.html

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Last edited by ucommbxny; 11-04-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:05 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I own an 08 Ultra. Not my first bike and probably not my last. I am also more of a reader than a poster when it comes to these forums. I read about the "wobble" and the fixes for it, so I decided to sign up on the forum and post my thoughts. Isn't that what this forum is for? My question is legitimate and it was respectfully asked.
Classy reply - well done!

Old 11-04-2008, 12:19 PM
2011 Road Glide Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd bet the farm that the MoCo's position is that the "old" bikes are perfectly safe WHEN RIDDEN PROPERLY. They will say that consumers are riding faster that the posted speed recommendations, and that the bikes were designed properly - and there is more than a little truth in that position. My '07 Road Glide wallowed in slow corners - it was more stable if I went a little faster - but it was still controllable. It wobbled when I went too fast - so I learned to trail the rear brake and/or slow down. I didn't like the feeling, but thought I'd learn to ride around it.

All that changed when the '09s came out. One of the biggest changes they made was the third link. That motivated me to go ahead and try a Bagger Brace - and it fixed the issue.

The MoCo put out a product that performed within it's design parameters in an adequate fashion. I wanted to expand that performance envelope, so I did - on MY nickel, as it should be.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by captjon37
I want to know why when people see something they think is a major problem they think "The Moco should pay for it"? Do you really think they will just jump up and recall every thing that gets a few complaints? I think this like many problems are inflated right here. I ride the crap out of my 08UC and have not felt a wobble but if and when i do i will find a solution and fix it, Not cry to get someone else to pay for it.
Nobody’s crying. “Free Fix” was a poor choice for a subject title. All I am saying is that IF there is a design flaw that IS a safety issue, and IF there is a viable and simple solution that WILL make the difference, that it MIGHT be reasonable to expect the Moco to take some responsibility for it. I seriously doubt that the “wobble” is myth and all of these guys are just making it up. Maybe I’ll never experience it or maybe I will. Maybe the first time I experience it will be my last and no one will ever know what happened. You are right in that it is MY responsibility because I seriously doubt that the Moco will do anything about it. In the meanwhile, it seems that there are a few good products for addressing the issue and a few good people trying to make it cost effective. So I’ll pick one and install it because that will be cheaper than spending any more time reading or writing about it. Anyway, that’s my opinion and I really don’t care about whether or not anyone agrees with me

Old 11-04-2008, 12:35 PM
tano01
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blueride
HD doesn't deny nor confirm.

The silence at HD is deafening.

The first lawsuit will change that.

In any event, I can't say I have faced the wobble on my 08 RK. I also haven't hit any sweepers at 75 mph.

I'd like to see them offer a fix, but half of the people I talk to say no wobble, the other half say wobble. Kind of hard to take a stance when there doesn't see to be a consensus - at least from my perspective.

Old 11-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Deepsouth251
Road Master

Nobody’s crying. “Free Fix” was a poor choice for a subject title. All I am saying is that IF there is a design flaw that IS a safety issue, and IF there is a viable and simple solution that WILL make the difference, that it MIGHT be reasonable to expect the Moco to take some responsibility for it. I seriously doubt that the “wobble” is myth and all of these guys are just making it up. Maybe I’ll never experience it or maybe I will. Maybe the first time I experience it will be my last and no one will ever know what happened. You are right in that it is MY responsibility because I seriously doubt that the Moco will do anything about it. In the meanwhile, it seems that there are a few good products for addressing the issue and a few good people trying to make it cost effective. So I’ll pick one and install it because that will be cheaper than spending any more time reading or writing about it. Anyway, that’s my opinion and I really don’t care about whether or not anyone agrees with me
That's exactly what forums are for, OPINIONS!

Quick Reply: Free Fix for Touring Wobble