Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free Fix for Touring Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 11:00 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good ole double post.........

Old 08-30-2012, 11:52 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Clint55
I own an 08 Ultra. Not my first bike and probably not my last. I am also more of a reader than a poster when it comes to these forums. I read about the "wobble" and the fixes for it, so I decided to sign up on the forum and post my thoughts. Isn't that what this forum is for? My question is legitimate and it was respectfully asked.
I agree. A respectfully asked question deserves a respectful answer. Most will give you one. Personally, we have some pretty good long turn sweepers here in Vermont, particularly off and on the Interstates. I have hit them pretty hot in both directions and have had no wobble from my 2010 Street Glide. I know it exists, but I believe it takes a combination of factors to make the bike behave this way. The braces that some folks are using will solve the issues in most cases, but as far as I'm concerned, personally, I'd go through alignment, mounts etc first. You can just as easily mask the problem of a bad alignment and worn mounts with a brace. I agree that the brace does offer peace of mind to many and in fact solves the inherent problem, and I'm certainly not against using a brace for enhanced control if needed.....However, I'm also diligent about maintenance and to me, I'd make sure it was all right on the money before I'd add a brace strictly for wobble. Handling enhancement, maybe, strictly for wobble...only if all else failed.

Last edited by Rickr01; 08-30-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:39 PM
redeyedog
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death wobble

deleted

Last edited by redeyedog; 06-10-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:00 AM
fmlstewart
5th Gear

Brand new here. I've ridden for 15 years, but just bought my first HD. 2003 RK. When I took it for the first shake down ride. I noticed the wobble in slow speed ( 40 mph) right hand only turns. I had never even heard of the Harley wobble, so it kinda freaked me out. Got home and did a little inspecting. Front bottom slabilizer was missing the bolt holding it to the engine mount. I donct know how the previous owner rode the freakin thing!

So, yeah, I'm a little disappointed and frustraed, but it is what it is. I knew I'd have to put in some wrench time and I'm looking forward to getting this thing set up right, but. , I don't want to have to spend a ton of cash on top of buying the bike. I'll be disassembling as much of the bike as is necessary this weekend to give it a good thorough service and bolt check.

Two questions:

What's the best aftermarket stabilizer out there? Looking at the Progressive Suspension stabilizer.

Anything else I should be looking for? I'll be checking the rubber mounts, but what about swing arm bushings, etc...

Old 11-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by fmlstewart
Brand new here. I've ridden for 15 years, but just bought my first HD. 2003 RK. When I took it for the first shake down ride. I noticed the wobble in slow speed ( 40 mph) right hand only turns. I had never even heard of the Harley wobble, so it kinda freaked me out. Got home and did a little inspecting. Front bottom slabilizer was missing the bolt holding it to the engine mount. I donct know how the previous owner rode the freakin thing!

So, yeah, I'm a little disappointed and frustraed, but it is what it is. I knew I'd have to put in some wrench time and I'm looking forward to getting this thing set up right, but. , I don't want to have to spend a ton of cash on top of buying the bike. I'll be disassembling as much of the bike as is necessary this weekend to give it a good thorough service and bolt check.

Two questions:

What's the best aftermarket stabilizer out there? Looking at the Progressive Suspension stabilizer.

Anything else I should be looking for? I'll be checking the rubber mounts, but what about swing arm bushings, etc...
First off...welcome to the Forum and congrats on the bike.

- also...it's nice to see that someone actually uses the search feature. I gotta give props to you for reviving a 5-year old thread. Nice.

Anyway...

You're going to get a lot of opinions on 'the best' stabilizer. I can't say what the best is (nor can anyone else) but I picked-up the http://www.smooth-rider.com and it seems to work well - and it was way less costly than other options.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited by Jumpman; 11-01-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:46 AM
jrscars
Novice

I have a 93 electra glide classic, and I made my own anti wobble device similar to one that sells for $300. I never experienxced the wobble, but being i had the tools and materials to make one I figure it couldnt hurt.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:50 AM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

no wobble so far here. 700 miles and counting on my sgs

Old 11-01-2013, 03:52 PM
fmlstewart
5th Gear

Oh there's definitely a WOBBLE! Like I said, I'd never heard of it until I started searching for reasons the bike was "wobbling". Rode less than three miles before I noticed a wobble. I'm hoping that replacing the missing stabilizer bolt will correct it, but from my research thus far, I'm not very optimistic.

I intend to replace the bolt, check the alignment, tire pressure, front and rear wheel bearings, steering head bearings, service the front forks, and make sure the air pressure in the shocks is good. If that doesn't correct the wobble, then I'll go with an aftermarket stabilizer, and possibly swing arm bushings. Maybe a GlidePro kit, or Sta-Bo kit. Maybe I won't have to spend the cash when I get the basics sorted out. Just looking for suggestions on things to check to maybe correct the wobble issue.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:23 PM
mhsmith451
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've owned a few both new and old scoots....the weave is there and can become prevalent in high speed sweeping turns...I had it on a 72 fl and on a 04 rk....it is a basic function of flex in an older technology chassis. Its not unsafe unless your riding skills are such that you panic and is partially mitigated by good tires and good bearings front and rear...and can be mitigated by the devices mentioned in this thread, but I've never tried them. Bottom line, if you hit a bump while leaned over fairly well at 70 or so mph...you may get a little wiggle goin on..back out a little and all is normal, or ride through it, both work fine

Old 11-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Welcome to the forums.

If you've got low speed wobble problems, you aren't going to fix it with a stabilizer. You need to start with the basics, check your wheel runout (assuming you've got laced wheels), chassis alignment, swingarm bushings, motor mounts.

The "bagger wobble" is a high speed phenomenon. Basically this occurs in the middle of a fast sweeper, when you run over a dip or rise. (Something to upset the suspension. ) The motor and trans and swingarm are all connected, and the motor is mounted with rubber motor mounts. You're putting side loads on the swingarm as you're running through the turn, and when the swingarm moves up and down because of the dip, that motion becomes more of a figure-8 type of oscillation. You'll think your rear tire has suddenly gone flat, or feel like your frame has a hinge just under the seat. It's a very distinct feeling, once you experience it, you'll know.

As far as stabilizers, I like the Progressive touring link, as well as the Glide Pro swingarm bushings.

People talk about the "new frame" starting in 2009 as fixing the bagger wobble, but it's probably more about the beefed up front motor mount than the frame itself.

Last edited by Mike; 11-01-2013 at 08:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Free Fix for Touring Wobble