Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free Fix for Touring Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Winterhawk
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that the front fork is flexing. My other street bikes have fork braces. The wobble shouldn't matter to the Cops because I thought that it was illegal to pursue so there is no reason to go fast. Pursuits cause deaths on all sides.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:13 PM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Being new to touring HD's, just bought a 99 EG standard a month ago, I was coming home from work going around a exit loop between 55 and 60, the bike started to wobble, I slowed down and it went away, I have since tried to make it do it again but nothing. I have never felt a bike do that before and only once having tried it several times now, is a little un nerving knowing it could happen again at any time. What is this part you can buy and where can I get it, I don't want it to happen again and mostly with a passenger riding with me.

Old 07-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Clint55
Ok, maybe I'm just the naive new guy, but here's the question anyway. With all of this stuff I'm reading about this Touring wobble issue, why isn’t the Moco taking some responsibility. OK, I know they supposedly addressed the issue on the 09's, but what about earlier models. What I’m hearing from this forum is that my bike has an inherent and recognized design flaw that clearly affects control during NORMAL use on a NORMAL sweeping turn while going the NORMAL speed limit of 50 to 70mph. It also seems clear that there is a very simple fix or “brace” that will completely solve the problem. The Moco should generate a recall service order and provide the kit to fix it. Does the Moco deny that this problem exists?
No, their response is usually "that is normal". You are new grasshopper, you will learn this, in time.

Old 07-06-2012, 09:22 PM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

does this "death wobble" happen to the newer touring bikes? I have run up over 100 few times and got a little twist but no wobble? yet

Old 07-07-2012, 11:22 AM
NAILIT RK
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

MOCO issue a recall??? Seriously? haha....
I dont mind a little wobble on my 01' RK... adds character

Old 07-07-2012, 12:35 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by iHarley
See you have lots of posts... thats Great... maybe you need to ride more?

Regards

I have 15,000 miles on my bike, in 10 months, thru the winter. Can you say the same?

Old 07-07-2012, 12:39 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by scumBAGGER
does this "death wobble" happen to the newer touring bikes? I have run up over 100 few times and got a little twist but no wobble? yet

It has never happened on my 2011. And there are some times when I have ridden it pretty aggressively. I think some of what people are feeling is that skinnier front tire they put on them now days when they hit a small unseen rock, or tar snake, etc.,. The front can get a bit squirrely. But never has it done anything that made me nervous about how I was riding it or it's capabilities.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:17 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

I can induce a wobble/weave if I'm riding aggressively through a long high speed sweeper. At any resonable speed I don't have it, nor in tight twisty roads. In high speed sweepers it's there, those that say slow down, the posted speed limit here is 75 with some doing 10 over, it's not hard to be going 85+ going into a sweeper(usually good at that speed, triple digits not so much so).

Throttle input seems to make a difference and I'm sure there are other things. I used to think that it's because of my bikes mileage, I now think it's because I'm more comfortable and ride the bike harder and learning the limitations. I think oneday I will try one of the frame stabilizers.

It appears to me that the way most of the guys ride that I know they will never and I mean never feel any type of wobble/weave.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:31 PM
simpkinst
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Clint55
Ok, maybe I'm just the naive new guy, but here's the question anyway. With all of this stuff I'm reading about this Touring wobble issue, why isn’t the Moco taking some responsibility. OK, I know they supposedly addressed the issue on the 09's, but what about earlier models. What I’m hearing from this forum is that my bike has an inherent and recognized design flaw that clearly affects control during NORMAL use on a NORMAL sweeping turn while going the NORMAL speed limit of 50 to 70mph. It also seems clear that there is a very simple fix or “brace” that will completely solve the problem. The Moco should generate a recall service order and provide the kit to fix it. Does the Moco deny that this problem exists?
i have 2006 FLHX and have never experienced this "wobble". I ride with 3 others that have pre '09 touring bikes and none has experienced this.

The only place I have ever heard about this is on these forums.

I find it comical to see the adds for the same "fix" for sale on '09 and newer frames. People just trying to make money selling crap people dont really need.

Old 07-07-2012, 02:08 PM
Gunslingertom
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a 1954 Chevy Belair that didn't come from the factory with seat belts. I bet people died because of it. Maybe GM should issue a recall and install seat belts in every '54 Chevy.

Quick Reply: Free Fix for Touring Wobble