Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brembo front brake conversion project

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:47 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Brembo front brake conversion project

Went to a swap meet at my local HD store, and the dealership had a bunch of take-off items for sale. Bought a pair of silver Brembo brake calipers to install on my '04 EG. I have some homework to do (but have already exchanged some PM's with FastHarley (thanks, Howard for your help) and peaked at WVULTRA'S 21 page (with pics) exhaustive discourse), and will begin the project as soon as I buy a pair of take-off '08 rotors. I posted a WTB listing in the classifieds, so if you have or know of a pair of low mileage take-offs, shoot me a PM.

I plan to write-up the swap with pics (though it won't be anywhere close to 21 pages). I'd like to provide some empirical comparisons of my stock braking system with the Brembos. If you have a suggestion or two about how to do this, let me know. There will be some variances that are simply unavoidable. For example, while I have fresh pads and very well-maintained stock calipers on my bike, the pads are HD OEM. The Brembos will get Lyndall pads, though I'm not sure which ones. So, the comparison will not be exactly apples to apples.

Anyway, I'll let you know when I do the swap. In the meantime, let me know of any '08 take-off rotors, and let me know how you would test the two systems (safely, of course).

Old 11-04-2008, 12:47 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Went to a swap meet at my local HD store, and the dealership had a bunch of take-off items for sale. Bought a pair of silver Brembo brake calipers to install on my '04 EG. I have some homework to do (but have already exchanged some PM's with FastHarley (thanks, Howard for your help) and peaked at WVULTRA'S 21 page (with pics) exhaustive discourse), and will begin the project as soon as I buy a pair of take-off '08 rotors. I posted a WTB listing in the classifieds, so if you have or know of a pair of low mileage take-offs, shoot me a PM.

I plan to write-up the swap with pics (though it won't be anywhere close to 21 pages). I'd like to provide some empirical comparisons of my stock braking system with the Brembos. If you have a suggestion or two about how to do this, let me know. There will be some variances that are simply unavoidable. For example, while I have fresh pads and very well-maintained stock calipers on my bike, the pads are HD OEM. The Brembos will get Lyndall pads, though I'm not sure which ones. So, the comparison will not be exactly apples to apples.

Anyway, I'll let you know when I do the swap. In the meantime, let me know of any '08 take-off rotors, and let me know how you would test the two systems (safely, of course).
I'm doing the same conversion on my 07 Road Glide. I bought a full Brembo set-up from a forum member. I have two nearly new 08 rotors that I'm not going to use. I ordered vivid black floating rotors from HD. I looked on Ebay and found a couple people selling 08 rotors. They don't go for much so it's hard for me to set a price. I'd take $50 for the pair plus the shipping cost. If you're interested, you can PM me your address and I'll check with UPS on the shipping cost.

Ebay listing
Steve

Last edited by sifularson; 11-04-2008 at 01:19 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Theakerr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done the full conversion (Brembo callipers and rotors) on my 2003 Classic including adding HD stainless braided lines. Very very pleased with the results. Two finger operation and all the mushiness gone. Used stock Brembo pads as supplied by them. Trickiest part was lining up the callipers using the shims.

The following users liked this post:
Budget_Biker (03-25-2024)
Old 11-04-2008, 07:29 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Heres the part # for EBC Double H pads>>> FA409HH . These are a racing pads with a higher friction rate.
I installed these 2 weeks ago. Love em!!

Old 08-09-2020, 02:19 PM
miketv84
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Theakerr
I have done the full conversion (Brembo callipers and rotors) on my 2003 Classic including adding HD stainless braided lines. Very very pleased with the results. Two finger operation and all the mushiness gone. Used stock Brembo pads as supplied by them. Trickiest part was lining up the callipers using the shims.
Did you use your stock master cylinder for the brembos ? Thanks .

Old 08-09-2020, 07:07 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by miketv84
Did you use your stock master cylinder for the brembos ? Thanks .
This is a very old thread. It’s been years and many miles of riding since I upgraded the front brakes on my 07 RG.

I bought a used brake system off of EBay. Included the Brembo caliper and the master cylinder and rotors from the newer bike. I believe it all came off an 08.

As I remember, the stock master cylinder would not work correctly with the Brembo calipers. Also, the rotors were larger on the Brembo setup.

Old 08-09-2020, 09:16 PM
miketv84
Road Master

Originally Posted by sifularson
This is a very old thread. It’s been years and many miles of riding since I upgraded the front brakes on my 07 RG.

I bought a used brake system off of EBay. Included the Brembo caliper and the master cylinder and rotors from the newer bike. I believe it all came off an 08.

As I remember, the stock master cylinder would not work correctly with the Brembo calipers. Also, the rotors were larger on the Brembo setup.
Thanks, yeah the rotors I know are 11.8 inch. The master cylinder it appears the stock one works according to several people. We shall see.

Old 08-09-2020, 09:45 PM
matt_eglide
Tourer
Received 61 Likes on 53 Posts

I swapped over the late model Brembo brakes on my 07 Electra Glide in 2 stages and both the stock master cylinder from 07 and the master cylinder from a 14 worked(s) just fine. You’ll need the rotors and of course the correct size axle for your wheel unless you’re not changing it.

I swapped over just the calipers when I put on an Enforcer front wheel and ran my stock master cylinder for 6 months just fine. I then swapped over the entire front brake line setup from a 14 min-ABS Street Glide from the master cylinder down to the calipers and it all worked great and has worked perfect the last year or so.

I used DOT4 fluid in both systems FYI even though the newer system calls for DOT5.

HTH.

Old 08-09-2020, 09:48 PM
miketv84
Road Master

Originally Posted by matt_eglide
I swapped over the late model Brembo brakes on my 07 Electra Glide in 2 stages and both the stock master cylinder from 07 and the master cylinder from a 14 worked(s) just fine. You’ll need the rotors and of course the correct size axle for your wheel unless you’re not changing it.

I swapped over just the calipers when I put on an Enforcer front wheel and ran my stock master cylinder for 6 months just fine. I then swapped over the entire front brake line setup from a 14 min-ABS Street Glide from the master cylinder down to the calipers and it all worked great and has worked perfect the last year or so.

I used DOT4 fluid in both systems FYI even though the newer system calls for DOT5.

HTH.
Thanks that was my next question about the brake fluid. I'm currently running dot4 in non abs.

I love my red calipers but want better braking lol. Still searching out red brembos.

Old 08-09-2020, 09:49 PM
99Birdman
Extreme HDF Member

Received 27,704 Likes on 9,179 Posts

Originally Posted by miketv84
Thanks, yeah the rotors I know are 11.8 inch. The master cylinder it appears the stock one works according to several people. We shall see.
Originally Posted by matt_eglide

HTH.
The stock master cylinder will work fine but, if you current master cylinder has been running DOT4 and the used calipers have been DOT5 you will have an issue unless you rebuild one or the other. You can't just put DOT5 calipers on a DOT4 system without degradation of the seals etc.

Last edited by 99Birdman; 08-09-2020 at 10:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Brembo front brake conversion project