Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement handle bars

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 04:19 PM
halfbreed
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Replacement handle bars

I know I have read posts on this subject many times during my 2 years on this forum, but I have just done a search and cannot find the information I am needing. So, here goes. I have a 2001 FLHPI with the standard handle bars. I have put on a Mustang solo seat and the Road King Classic Leather Tour Pak (to match the saddle bags). I use the backrest on the Tour Pak for my backrest, but with the new seat and the new Tour Pak, I have to stretch in order to comfortably hold onto the handle bar grips. I seem to remember reading about replacing the standard bars with a Heritage bar. The Harley parts personel are trying to sell me a "reach" bar, but I will have to replace all the cables, etc., and that will be much too expensive for me. I believe I have the 55919-82T bar on my bike now and I am planning on purchasing the 55954-00 and installing it. It is my understanding that the cables etc. will not have to be changed. Is this a difficult job and am I correct in remembering that the Heritage bars bring the grips closer to me and I will not have to replace any of the cables?Thanks for your help and, although I do not post many subjects, I do chech into the forum on a regular basis and get a lot of information and help from this forum.
Halfbreed

Old 11-03-2008, 06:18 PM
tringle
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I put the Heritage classic bars on my road king and love them. The bars can be rotated back toward you and they add up to 3" of pullback. I didn't like the reach bars. The Heritage classic bars come in chrome or stainless steel. I know many guys that are using that bar.
TR

Old 11-03-2008, 06:18 PM
tringle
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I forgot to tell you that you shouldn't have to change any wires. You will probably have to bend your brake line a little.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:19 PM
dakotalloyd
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put Heritage bars on my 01 Fatboy. I like them. Installation wasn't really a problem. You don't have to extend any cables or brake lines.....just do it!