Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pic of the failed bearing out my IDS

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 04:18 PM
katobird
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed my own IDS and bearing right in my garage...No big deal, I used a socket that was slightly smaller the the bore but had enough lip on the bearing. I am suspecting whoever installs these are damaging the rubber seal for the bearings.

Clean the bore, set bearing fluch, tap slightly to get started and press into until it bottems out...DONE!!!
Like any bearing install you can't use the inside race as the leverage point. The other race is the proper way.

I now have well over 18,000 on mine and I just changed the tire and inspected the bearing...no rubber isolator wear and the bearing looked like new....

Old 09-28-2009, 12:01 AM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Gypsy
Techs are human and make mistakes too. Hey Northside... saw a machinist loose a finger due to a simple error. No one has a big red "S" on their shirt. Take it easy people. IDS problems are worth hearing about. Bearing problems can bring down any bike with anyone riding. All professionals make mistakes. Read this forum, learn, share, and ease up on the criticism of others and any of their questions. I'll get off my damn soapbox now.
Well sorry you saw a machinist lose a finger. I was a machinist/Tool and Die Maker all my working life, still got 'em all. I learned early on that mistakes must be kept to a minimum. I simply said that using the "search" function will yield more results and opinions to the question. More info is always better than less. And yes, some people post answers here that are inaccurate. I simply advised him to beware and get as much information as possible. By the way, this is an old post.