Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pic of the failed bearing out my IDS

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 07:05 AM
sparky_mo
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by captsam54
what he said...!!! ;0)
Well I think you and northside are being rude. I am not a newbie hear. I have used the search boards many times not only on this issue but others. When we hear a new idea on what might be causing a problem with our machines I think it's our duty to post to help out any others who may be having a problem. I think northside was referring to a couple of posts where they had never heard of the IDS but what does it hurt having them ask a question without first doing a search?? No big deal.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:20 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been wrenching on mostly jap bikes fr the last 27 years, and I know this much.....the jap bikes have been using some type of a rubber insert in the rear hub to cushion the drive lash between the rear sprocket and rear wheel for at least 30 years now.....I have never seen a specific failure of any of the bearings associated with their system. I have seen the rubber bushing insert fail due to drying out or just old age, but that was like after 20 years or so. I am **** about the maintenance on my bikes, and I always do a pre ride check list before any ride over 25 miles. I keep a close eye on drive belt free play, even more when the bike is new due to initial break in stretch. I sure as **** hope my IDS dont get screwed up, because the HD rep will hear my mouth if it does!

Old 11-04-2008, 08:06 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

On bikes pre 07 they had a rubber shock system at the final drive at the rear wheel..
That is incorrect.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:24 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Neckball
That is incorrect.
...+1

Old 11-04-2008, 09:25 AM
SteveB FLH
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed an IDS on my '07 FLHTC in Sept.'08 at around 18,000 mi. even though I had minimal tranny noise. It did "smooth" out the ride considerably. I have about 5,000 mi. on it now and keep a check (visually and any abnormal noise) and have been completely satisfied with its performance. Bought it from Zanotti's online, and had them press in bearing before shipping. So far it has been flawless also I have been very happy with the overall quality of my '07. Been doing the maintenence my self and once you know your motorcycle it makes it easier to prevent problems. Also I never wash my motorcycle with any high pressure systems. Feel that it is better for motorcycle all around.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:09 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by sparky_mo
Well I think you and northside are being rude. I am not a newbie hear. I have used the search boards many times not only on this issue but others. When we hear a new idea on what might be causing a problem with our machines I think it's our duty to post to help out any others who may be having a problem. I think northside was referring to a couple of posts where they had never heard of the IDS but what does it hurt having them ask a question without first doing a search?? No big deal.
You're quite right pal I am rude, crude and socially unacceptable. If you read my previous post I refered to his Quote, as a newbie who wanted to know what an IDS was. I told him that if he did a search he'd get a lot more info than just "Isolated Drive System" as an answer to his question. I also rudely implied that there are people who post less than accurate information here. More information is better than less! I was a tool & die maker for 35 years and I could show or tell you how to properly install that bearing, but I wouldn't want to confuse you.

Attached Thumbnails Pic of the failed bearing out my IDS-s5000018.jpg  
Old 11-04-2008, 02:12 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still believe that the failures being seen were due to install mistakes,either brg or entire kit. This coves axle torque also. One member here had the inside hub chewed up because spacer wasnt installed. HD shouldve installed this brg so someone wouldnt pound the brg in,causing damage right away and may not even have been seated! Some of these failures seem like early installs where dealer either didnt have the tooling or used the old hammer and socket method. This kit was suppose to stop the onslaught of 07 noises and it may be creating something worse. The failures of some wont even make it between tire changes. I still have no problems with mine and it has been looked at twice since first installed but maybe I am lucky or my installation was better than a local shop wouldve done. Those that have failed need to file a safety report.NHTSA is available so use it. Maybe the new SE comp will allow this IDS to eliminated.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:32 PM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pittguy
I still believe that the failures being seen were due to install mistakes,either brg or entire kit.
I'm convinced of this. The same IDS is not failing on "factory installed" 2008 models, so is the IDS the problem or is it the install? I think the answer is obvious.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:18 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain

Originally Posted by FXSTDSE2
Is there enough of the bearing left to read the brand? Anyone know who is supplying the bearings?
Recently purchased a spare bearing from Dealer, just in case I needed one when changing rear tire in near future. A little over 12,000 miles since installing the IDS and no reason to suspect a problem at this time.

It's stamped ***, 559768, CANADA, B08-T, and the H-D part number is also there.

My understanding is that INA has a majority stake in ***.

Last edited by WVULTRA; 11-04-2008 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:31 PM
WVULTRA
Road Captain

Originally Posted by XTrooper3936
I'm convinced of this. The same IDS is not failing on "factory installed" 2008 models, so is the IDS the problem or is it the install? I think the answer is obvious.
I agree!

Quick Reply: Pic of the failed bearing out my IDS