Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pic of the failed bearing out my IDS

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:55 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default bearings

Harley uses INA bearings almost exclusively in their bikes where possible. INA is a German bearing company and their products are quality products. Most of the time when a bearing fails, the bearing gets the blame but it is almost always an outside "agency" that causes premature failure such as misalignment(which is what I believe is the main culprit in the IDS problems), poor lubrication, poor fitting practice, contamination, etc. I have been in the bearing business for 30 years and have seen many applications where repeated failures are blamed on the parts when the real problem is something else that needs addressing. In the case of the IDS, there are three bearings on a single shaft and it is damn near impossible for all three to be aligned properly.
Originally Posted by FXSTDSE2
Is there enough of the bearing left to read the brand? Anyone know who is supplying the bearings?

Old 11-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any way a novice can check the IDS theirself? I had mine installed last year and I have put on about 5000 miles. Would like to be ahead of the game if there is a problem lurking. Also tallboy 56 had agreat reply.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:11 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Problem is most people just pound them in the hole without first miking the bore to see if it is the correct interference. Too tight and it won't last long. Add water and it's a quick death.
Ron

Old 11-03-2008, 08:19 PM
Lucky 13
Road Master

Do you ever check your belt tension? I work with alot of belt drive fan motors and have seen good quality bearings eaten up by technicians who wouldn't take the time to set the belt tension right. It happens more often than most would realize.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:48 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

Having been down this road myself, I can add a comment here. I put on the first retrofit IDS kit at the dealership they ever did. At the time, they didn't have a special tool or a bearing press. From this forum, I heard the idea of placing a two by four across the bearing and using a mallet, hammering the bearing in. That bearing failed in 1500 miles. The next try, the shop had the special tool and bearing press at hand, so we replaced the bearing itself. That lasted 3500 miles.

In the end, we all came to the conclusion the first kit was mismanufactured, probably incorrectly machined and the bearing couldn't be seated properly. We put a new kit on and haven't had any problems since. Each service, the tech double checks the condition of the IDS,and it has been fine.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:30 AM
sparky_mo
Club Member

Originally Posted by goodbirds
Having been down this road myself, I can add a comment here. I put on the first retrofit IDS kit at the dealership they ever did. At the time, they didn't have a special tool or a bearing press. From this forum, I heard the idea of placing a two by four across the bearing and using a mallet, hammering the bearing in. That bearing failed in 1500 miles. The next try, the shop had the special tool and bearing press at hand, so we replaced the bearing itself. That lasted 3500 miles.

In the end, we all came to the conclusion the first kit was mismanufactured, probably incorrectly machined and the bearing couldn't be seated properly. We put a new kit on and haven't had any problems since. Each service, the tech double checks the condition of the IDS,and it has been fine.
How many miles do you have on the new kit? Maybe that is the route I should go. Mine too was the first my dealership had installed. I had it done a year ago this September. You think Harley has redesigned the IDS to fix flaws found in the early ones? The service guy at my Harley dealership said he was going to call Harley and see. Think they will admit that the early kits weren't designed incorrectly?

Last edited by sparky_mo; 11-04-2008 at 05:36 AM.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:16 AM
vindyl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IDS I think is a waste of money. If you keep your bike over 2k when riding it you do not need ids.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:34 AM
sparky_mo
Club Member

It may be if there continues to be a problem with the bearing but it does may a huge difference in making the bike run smoother and quieter. Up untill now I considered it my best upgrade since buying the bike. I'm not giving up on the IDS. I'll keep checking and replacing the bearing or install a new kit if I have to before saying uncle.
You were mentioning lugging. Before I had it installed I always kept my rpm's high, and still do. I don't have a tack but I never let it get below 35 mph in 3rd, 45 mph in 4th. I don't shift to 5th untill 60 mph or 6th untill 70. When cruising if I drop below 60 I shift down to 4th. If I drop below 70 in 6th gear, I shift down to 5th. I have kept these same shift patterns before and after the IDS install. I know some since installing the IDS will cruise in 5th and 6th gear with low rpms but I've always thought just because I can't hear it now, the bike is still lugging at those low rpms.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:51 AM
captsam54
Road Master
Talking

Originally Posted by northside
not to be rude, but there is a search feature on this site. This is especially useful because if you search several threads on ids (isolated drive system) you'll get more than one guy's opinion and maybe learn something. That gives you an opportunity to form a somewhat intelligent opinion about a particular piece of equipment or piece of something else. Beware, because not everyone who posts here knows what they are posting about. Get as many opinions as possible.
what he said...!!! ;0)

Old 11-04-2008, 06:54 AM
sparky_mo
Club Member

Hey goodbirds. Forgot to ask. Did they replace the kit on their dime or yours?

Last edited by sparky_mo; 11-04-2008 at 06:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Pic of the failed bearing out my IDS