Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Canadian Price Increases - Potential

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Theakerr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Canadian Price Increases - Potential

For the information of potential Canadian buyers. Stopped at my local dealer yesterday and the Salesman advised that they expect a price increase of between 20 and 25% early in the new year. So it may be prudent to buy now although the financial world is in such a mess that who knows. I have just purchased a 2008 Ford Edge though on the assumption that Canadian prices will increase in the new year

Old 11-03-2008, 12:27 AM
GzrGlide
Road Captain

20 - 25%!? WOW! When the economy takes a dive here like it's doing in the states, the dealers will be sitting on lots of inventory. Around here that means that a 09 Ultra will be 30k (at a 20% increase, with no taxes included). I don't believe that will happen. No one is that stupid to try and grab another 20% in these uncertain times for what is for all intense puposes a "toy" purchased with peoples "dicretionary" $$$$. When that $$$$ gets tight, no toys.

One more reason to keep my '02!

I they do try and grab another 20% on P&A as well, I'll buy my stuff stateside and have it shipped to the US mailing address I have.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:37 AM
Adacas
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a grab - its prob to do with exchange rates. The CAN dollar is 20% less against the USD than it was a couple months ago.
Buying things across the line won't help you because you'll be paying in USD, thus losing on the exchange. Buy now as the trend in currency exchange will probably continue.

Last edited by Adacas; 11-03-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:59 AM
CDN. RG
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if I know car salesmen (bike salesman) it is just another one of there sales pitches to get you to buy today and not wait for next years model,they told me that at the dealership where I bought my 07 and they actually went down in price in 08 ,I usually don't take much stock in anything I am told at a dealership of any kind motorcycle, automobile ,atv ,snowmobile they are all cut from the same cloth,I can see a 5 to 10 percent increase but 20 to 25 that is a little steep.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:13 PM
Ca.Fatlad
Road Master
Cool

I have a 09 Street Glide on order for delivery Mar/Apr, went to talk to salesperson last
week about potential price increase, he said they have heard there may be increase
later in year in the 5-10% range. Can $ is now in the 85 cent range, 09 bikes were
priced when $ was around 96 cents. I am willing to absorb an increase up to 8-10%
anything over and they can keep the bike and i will weigh up my options, buy a used
08, or 09 later in year.I said to salesperson that H-D, Deeley imports, the dealership
and buyer all have to absorb the drop in Can $$.

Last edited by Ca.Fatlad; 11-03-2008 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:47 PM
Ca.Fatlad
Road Master

Originally Posted by Theakerr
For the information of potential Canadian buyers. Stopped at my local dealer yesterday and the Salesman advised that they expect a price increase of between 20 and 25% early in the new year. So it may be prudent to buy now although the financial world is in such a mess that who knows. I have just purchased a 2008 Ford Edge though on the assumption that Canadian prices will increase in the new year
If you don't mind me asking what dealer was it that told you about this 20-25% increase

Old 11-03-2008, 08:44 PM
fathertime
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

glad i bought my leftover 08 flht 6 weeks ago ..cheapest new harley here in canada we will see for a while!

Old 11-03-2008, 08:54 PM
mowens
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adacas
Not a grab - its prob to do with exchange rates. The CAN dollar is 20% less against the USD than it was a couple months ago.
Buying things across the line won't help you because you'll be paying in USD, thus losing on the exchange. Buy now as the trend in currency exchange will probably continue.

I have heard the exact same story from two different dealers. One in Saskatchewan, one in Alberta. Both times the salesperson already new that I had purchased an 09 SG this past August (Man I love my bike!).

They both told me that it is Deeley Canada, who imports the bikes into Canada and all Canadian dealers have to buy from, will be raising the prices to compensate for the low Canadian dollar.

Mike

Old 11-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Saxon
Cruiser
Angry Canadian price Increase

The message I had from a local dealer in Edmonton was that "parts and accessories" were likely going up by 20-25%.
I asked about the bikes & they had no information as yet.
I asked the same question a year ago when I bought my Road Glide - the word was a decrease was in the works - Dealer said no way so I went ahead & bought. 8 days later it went down by $1500.
With an 85 cent canuck dollar i would almost guarantee there going up

Old 11-04-2008, 06:26 PM
GzrGlide
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Adacas
To some degree you're right and I do support my dealer whenever I can, but it's been my experience that I can get the same p&a stuff much cheaper in the US. Even after the exchange is factored in. If you shop around for shipping deals and have access to a US mailing address you can do real well.

Quick Reply: Canadian Price Increases - Potential