Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Drive pulley bolts loosened up!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010 | 04:20 PM
dirtracin23
Road Warrior

Safety wire is a great idea. Also marking the bolt head with paint. Have my '07 SG tore down to just the motor and frame right now (rebuild from hittng a deer) and I'm gonna check these bolts as soon as I get home from work so I don't forget. For those of who are, or are going to be, using the paint idea and using white-out, some of the OL finger nail polish will work. Just ask first so you don't take her favorite color out to the garage ta paint your pulley.

Old 05-24-2010 | 01:00 AM
Malibyte
Tourer

Add one more to the list. Happened to me this afternoon. Heard some rhythmic squeaking during/just after some runs through the twisties, so just thought it was squeaking warm brakes - bike felt fine, running normally, and the noise went away once I was out of the canyons. While in some city traffic on the way home, suddenly heard "clack, clack, clack" and felt the bike start to buck. It took me almost a half block to get out of traffic, and just as I was getting to the side of the road, the *** end locked up completely. Didn't go down :-) Had to get the bike home on a flatbed. Pulley, left-side rear hub are toast, and the inside surface of the swingarm is scored all to hell. Two bolts are out, one is in, two are half-way out and bent over 45 degrees. They are threaded all the way up.

Thank God this happened in low-speed city traffic and not on the freeway :-/

I had just had new wheels, rotors and the pulley put on the bike about month and a half ago. Hmmm. I've been riding with Harley soft bags on, so couldn't see the pulley well without getting under the bike and looking for it. You can bet I'll be checking them every so often, bags or no bags, from now on.

Last edited by Malibyte; 05-24-2010 at 01:07 AM.
Old 05-24-2010 | 08:26 AM
twowheelsgood
Novice

Malibyte

Glad to hear you're ok!

Are your wheels salvagable, are the hub bolt holes worn oval?

I had to replace my pulley when this happened.

With kind regards,

Benedict

Old 05-24-2010 | 12:58 PM
Malibyte
Tourer

2-wheels:
Thanks, I am too

Bike won't be in the shop until Tuesday afternoon, but the hubs are detachable, and the wheel looks fine, so all that should need to be done is to replace the pulley and hub, and repair the damage to the swingarm. I shouldn't complain, because things could have been a lot worse, but that pulley is pricey, and was just installed recently...!

Originally Posted by twowheelsgood
Malibyte

Glad to hear you're ok!

Are your wheels salvagable, are the hub bolt holes worn oval?

I had to replace my pulley when this happened.

With kind regards,

Benedict

Old 06-10-2010 | 09:47 PM
Mark McCaslin
Stage IV

Pretty scarey stuff. I appreciate the information

Mark McCaslin Sugar Land, Texas

Old 06-22-2010 | 01:16 PM
jwcalde
Intermediate

Great info here. Anyone know the proper torque spec for the rear pulley?

Old 07-14-2010 | 01:27 PM
Raider Ron
Stage I
Default Loose Bolts on pulley

ok. bought used o6 street glide just two months ago. well the guy installed a air ride just before I bought it. ! but yesterday on 7-13 -10 I was leaving work and going just about 3 mph/ went over speed bump, and back tire locked up ? so I get off bike and see that 4 of the 5 bolts were gone !!! and the 5th bolt had sheared off and was logged in the belt which stopped the bac tire there ! wow was I lucky not to have hit the road like that ! so I think when this loser put the iar ride on he didnt tourqe the bolts or use lock tight ! check every so often friends !! ride safe///

Raider Ron .. owner of 03 Dyna and 06 Street Glide ...

Old 07-14-2010 | 01:37 PM
a1a goose
Cruiser

this may be a dumb question, but I see post after post about checking the tourque on everything from heel shifters to pulley bolts so this is my question. If these are bolts that are installed with loc-tite either blue or red am I possibly breaking that bond if I'm rechecking torque values. Should I be removing bolts/screws etc and reapplying loc-tite each time I want to check them? Just curious.

Old 07-14-2010 | 01:59 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior

I inspect mine weekly.. when i switched to the chrome wheels i watched em when they mounted my pulley.. a ton of blue lock tite and they hammered bolts in with an impact.. No problems ..

Old 07-14-2010 | 03:44 PM
Cajun King
Road Master

This is some scary ****. Is there some certain year models this happens to? I just had a new rear tire installed 1000 miles ago. I am going to check the pulley as soon as I get home from work tonight. Thanks for the heads up.

Quick Reply: Rear Drive pulley bolts loosened up!