Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Drive pulley bolts loosened up!

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009 | 06:21 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

Anytime. Glad I was able to be of assistance. Ride safe.

Old 04-21-2009 | 05:58 AM
KopperTop
Road Captain

Sheesh...one more thing to worry about....

I've searched but can't find any reports of this happening to bikes with IDS. Someone suggested IDS as a possible fix for the loose pulley bolt syndrome. I ask, of course, because I changed my rear tire this winter and with IDS, you can't see the pulley bolts as they're in the bowl under the sprocket. The service manual (I checked) mentions nothing about using loctite -- it just says that the bolts should be replaced and torqued. I reused mine, but used blue loctite on them.

With the IDS system, I wonder if the bolts, even if loose, can back out very far before they would get stopped by the sprocket. Maybe the suppressed vibration cures the wandering bolt problem, I don't know.

So...HAS anyone with IDS had the loose bolt problem?

Old 04-21-2009 | 06:53 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by KopperTop

I've searched but can't find any reports of this happening to bikes with IDS. Someone suggested IDS as a possible fix for the loose pulley bolt syndrome. I ask, of course, because I changed my rear tire this winter and with IDS, you can't see the pulley bolts as they're in the bowl under the sprocket. The service manual (I checked) mentions nothing about using loctite -- it just says that the bolts should be replaced and torqued. I reused mine, but used blue loctite on them.

With the IDS system, I wonder if the bolts, even if loose, can back out very far before they would get stopped by the sprocket. Maybe the suppressed vibration cures the wandering bolt problem, I don't know.

The problem with IDS (I have it on my '07) is that you can't see or check the bolts. If they DO work loose you likely won't know until it's causing a problem.

Old 04-21-2009 | 06:58 AM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by KopperTop

Have not had the problem but I used red locktite
I did have bolts loosen up on a softail when I used blue.

Old 04-21-2009 | 08:40 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member

As said above from what I can see my '09 RK doesn't have bolts on the pulley that I can see. I think I recall my '05 EGC had them right there but this '09 bike doesnt. I guess nothing to tighten - (hoping it's been remedied)?

Last edited by Arizona; 04-21-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-21-2009 | 09:11 AM
badjustbad
Tourer
Wink

Originally Posted by jag1886
I'm glad you pay close enough attention to your bike to hear this problem.
If you put loud exhaust on your scooter you never have problems with loosening bolts. <G>

Old 04-21-2009 | 10:40 AM
IndyRider
Road Captain

Well, now I am worried. I should have skipped this thread.

To re-check the bolts that I assume were properly installed do I use the normal torque specs or reduce the value by 10% which I read somewhere that you should do with Loctite applied fastners?

Old 05-28-2009 | 01:36 AM
heng
Intermediate

Oh no, too late.
2007 Ultra, 9800 miles, all stock, no rear tire change yet. Last dealer service 5000 miles. Too bad I skipp the 7500 miles service.

Attached Thumbnails Rear Drive pulley bolts loosened up!-imgp1227.jpg   Rear Drive pulley bolts loosened up!-imgp1229.jpg   Rear Drive pulley bolts loosened up!-imgp1228.jpg  
Old 05-28-2009 | 09:14 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by IndyRider
Well, now I am worried. I should have skipped this thread.

To re-check the bolts that I assume were properly installed do I use the normal torque specs or reduce the value by 10% which I read somewhere that you should do with Loctite applied fastners?
Yes, the book has taken all this into consideration before they put it in print, otherwise it would have a warning statement to reduce torque by the appropriate amount. Trade standards.

Old 06-25-2009 | 04:53 PM
skyglaze
Stage I
Thumbs down rear pully

three year old road king 10k miles, stopped at traffic lights last night went to move off but couldn't, rear wheel jambed. Got off and noticed a sheared bolt laying on the ground two foot away examined rear pully three of the five bolts had sheared and I could pull them out the remaining two were loose. Pully had never been adjusted! maybe a trend anyone have similar

Quick Reply: Rear Drive pulley bolts loosened up!