Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Drive pulley bolts loosened up!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009 | 09:58 AM
twowheelsgood
Novice

Originally Posted by bagman1
Glad to hear you are both safe. The pictures show how important it is to inspect critical fasteners very carefully and often. Not trying to fault you, but lets all learn from these kind of failures. Id bet you anything the wheel change 200 miles prior was directly responsable for this failure. I say this as a mechanic because most premature failures happen just after someone works on it, 99% of the time.
Bagman, no offense taken! I agree that checking these fasters after servicing is absolutely critical.

Also - I really feel for the mechanic, his face was ashen when I showed him the bike, it really hit him. He obviously cares deeply about his work and dreaded the potential consequences, - he repaired it right away. Anyone can make a mistake and there is still a chance that it wasnt his fault.

I kinda think that I should throw away the HD bolts and go to a Grade 8 bolt...

2wG

Old 04-02-2009 | 10:07 AM
twowheelsgood
Novice

Is there a torque pattern for the pulley bolts?

Old 04-02-2009 | 10:52 AM
Dennis Murawski
Cruiser

Are the pulley bolts different than the IDS bolts? When I priced the IDS bolts, the dealer said they were $5 a bolt. That's $25 to take off and reinstall the IDS. Is there a source for getting the proper bolts for a better price? Thanks.

Old 04-02-2009 | 11:04 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member

Good info as iam about to put on a chrome pulley cover that i got from tattoofreak (Thanks) on my Dyna FXDC and i have a new set of the MOCO chrome pulley bolts. So saying i should have no issue as long as i red locktight and torque to spec???

Old 04-02-2009 | 12:37 PM
scatpac1
Cruiser
Smile Rear Pulley bolts,

Hello out there, wow this is really an eye opener with these pulley bolts, I do my own work on the bike, but when i need a tire changed, i have no choice to take it to a local shop for mounting and balancing, which of course they remove the pulley to mount the tire, I will pay more attention to that from now on.
Now yesterday I installed IDS on my RKC 2007, so I have new bolts and torqued to specs, took the bike out for a ride, and I tell you there is a difference, my squeeling pig 5th gear whine is gone, smoother shifting, no clanking, definitely a remarkable difference. My neighbor also says his bike is better now too, 07 ultra, we did both yesterday in my shop, for those considering this mod go for it you wont be sorry.

Old 04-02-2009 | 05:22 PM
sparky_mo
Club Member

Should the IDS bolts be replaced with each tire change or are they different than the bolts on a regular sprocket? Anybody have any ideas? I had mine changed by a local Indy mech. and I'm sure he reused the bolts. I've put about a 1000 miles on the bike with no problems. I hate to have to have him pull the rear wheel again but I will have him do it if it's necessary.

Old 04-02-2009 | 05:34 PM
scatpac1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sparky_mo
Should the IDS bolts be replaced with each tire change or are they different than the bolts on a regular sprocket? Anybody have any ideas? I had mine changed by a local Indy mech. and I'm sure he reused the bolts. I've put about a 1000 miles on the bike with no problems. I hate to have to have him pull the rear wheel again but I will have him do it if it's necessary.
Well im not sure, but I know that the inner hub of the IDS is what gets bolted to the rim, I dont know if it needs to removed to change the tire, the inner hub of th ids is much smaller than the outer sprocket, so i would think if the inner sprocket does not interfere with the tire machine there would be no reason to remove it to mount a new tire therefore the bolts would not be disturbed. my 2 cents worth.

Old 04-02-2009 | 10:29 PM
sparky_mo
Club Member

Thanks. Makes sense. I will check with him to see if he had to.

Old 04-03-2009 | 09:24 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior

Once agin this thread is why this site is such a valuable source of information. Great pictures and yes it IS an eye opener. Another detial to add to the scgeduled inspection list.
i WILL be checking mine tonight!
Thanks fellas!

Old 04-03-2009 | 09:26 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

Good thread, just check mine last night and all is well. Good thing to add to the list of things to check periodically.

Quick Reply: Rear Drive pulley bolts loosened up!