Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slip On Mufflers w/o Fuel Management?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 02:51 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
These bikes do have closed loop EFI, however this system is not designed to, nor can it tune for the addition of aftermarket parts such as an intake and exhaust system. There is much more info including a article on how the EFI on these bikes work on our website here http://fuelmotousa.com/harley_davids..._commander.htm Go towards the bottom of the page. In most cases you can add a set of mufflers and be within reasonable tune, but in most cases you are making an already lean mixure even leaner.
Like I ssid via email, when your 2009 stuff is ready to go, contact me and I will likely order the A/C and controller from you to complete Stage 1. Thanks Jamie.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:51 PM
rick
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, i have had my monster ovals for about 250mi now.I only had the stage1 and heavy breather when installed them.Bike runs geat.I also have the xied's as well.

Attached Thumbnails Slip On Mufflers w/o Fuel Management?-img_0869.jpg  

Last edited by rick; 11-03-2008 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-08-2008, 02:44 AM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote=BigBen;4066548]For 08 and later, the EFI is CLOSED LOOP. That means it adjusts to whatever you do to the bike, and keeps the A/F ration at 14.7:1. The streat legal downloads don't do anything to change the A/F ratio.

NOT true, I have my Dyno sheet in hand as I write this that Proves otherwise! I have slip ons only with a stage 1 DL and I fall below 13 at 3000R's Now I'm trying to figure out what to do! Cobra Fi2000 or TFI. I'm not looking for power or performance, just need fuel.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:16 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Bottom line is you can add slip-ons with no worries. As long as you don't change the air intake. If it runs fine leave it alone. I have Rush slip-ons with no other mods. Small amount of decel pop, no biggie! Sounds wonderful!

Old 11-08-2008, 05:44 AM
Badbagger09
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I installed SE performance mufflers on my 09 SG without the hi-flo air cleaner kit and download and the mc runs and sounds great. I heard that the new 09 ecm's are self adjusted when installing slip ons.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:42 AM
ramnj
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed SE performance mufflers on my 09 SG without the hi-flo air cleaner kit and download and the mc runs and sounds great.
+1, but I have an 08. SE slip-ons, no A/C and no fuel management and the bike runs great.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:10 AM
ajay450
Tourer

A local Harley dealer recommends using Rush slipons with a maximum 1.75 inch baffle and that you won't need any fuel management changes. They say that for up to 80% of full throttle everything will work just fine. I made this change on my 08 EGS and eventually changed to the Rush 1.5 inch baffle only because I wanted a little less noise. Everything is working fine with this setup. I had my bike in for the 5000 mile service and there were no comments about needing any fuel management changes, but they may have not looked for anything in that regard. I do get a very slight amount of decel popping but nothing anywhere near annoying. The dealer is HD Sales and Service in Napolean Ohio if you care to call them and talk direct to the service department. Ask for Bob

Old 11-08-2008, 08:23 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

So then, a norrower baffle diameter equates to "quieter" pipes overall and less air flow then bigger diameter / noisier mufflers agreed?

If that holds true, I can feel confident putting my Monster Ovals on my bike without the rest of the Stage 1 components without worry because the MOs are "stereo friendly" and not overly loud. Sound good so far? (I just want to put them on, can you tell?)

I still plan to complete Stage 1 with the Fuel Moto PCIII (or whatever the version is called once fully developed) and high flow Fuel Moto A/C too, just as soon as they announce availability.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:30 AM
ajay450
Tourer

When I was talking to the dealer about putting on slipons I ask about using something like Reinhart slipons and they said that some slipons won't work right without changing air and fuel. This dealer was familiar with the Rush and that is what they recommended. You should call them and ask about your situation. That will give you another input.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:11 AM
ga4boats
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, I repeat no decel pop with Jackpot slip-ons. I am anxious to get the PC-V from Jamie. If it is way delayed, I may go the Fuelpac route.

Quick Reply: Slip On Mufflers w/o Fuel Management?