Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheel wobble complaints

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 03:23 PM
ucommbxny
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear wheel wobble complaints

How many people riding 2008 or older touring bikes actually file a complaint about rear wheel wobble with the NHTSA ?

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Old 11-02-2008, 09:24 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

05 and 07 RG here. Never filed, but then I also never noticed a rear wheel wobble.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member

07 Road Glide and I have not had any rear wheel wobble. Not sure what complaining to the government is suppose to do for me...

Old 11-04-2008, 09:54 AM
ucommbxny
Road Master

the following is from the NHTSA website why you should file a complaint if you feel their is a saftey related defect

"What will NHTSA do with my complaint?
Your complaint information will be entered into NHTSA's vehicle owner's complaint database and used with other complaints to determine if a safety-related defect trend exists.

If a safety-related defect exists in a motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment, the manufacturer must fix it at no cost to the owner. Your complaint is the first step in the process.
Government engineers analyze the problem. If warranted, the manufacturer is asked to conduct a recall. If the manufacturer does not initiate a recall, the government can order the manufacturer to initiate a recall.
We do not have to receive a specific number of complaints before we look into a problem. We gather all available information on a problem. Your complaint is important to us.
While you may or may not be contacted by a NHTSA investigator to clarify the information submitted, all reports are reviewed and analyzed for potential defects trends."

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Old 11-04-2008, 11:05 AM
MyFirstHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Compare the HD wobble to SUV's rolling over. Top heavy vehicles, low tire pressure, mushy suspension for a softer ride, poor driving habits, all contribute to it. There was a big recall involving Explorer's and Firestone tires, still, there are about 10,000 SUV roll over fatalities a year. Think about it, 10,000 deaths a year on people still buy SUVs. Hell, the Highway Safety guys even have a roll-over rating system.

Out of the thousands and thousands of Harley touring machines sold, some buyers want better top end handling and add aftermarket parts to improve handling. Cool, I've thought about that myself. Usually I just do a little preventive maintenance on the bike, check the air in the tires and shocks, and the "Design Flaw" is not noticable.

So tell us sir, why did you decide to post about this? Do you own a Harley, would you like to? Are you trying to stir up sh*t or are your really concerned?

Old 11-04-2008, 12:19 PM
ucommbxny
Road Master

just wanted to know if owners just post on the forums or actualy file a complaint. consider this post a poll. yes i do own a harley and no i have not felt rear wheel wobble as of this post

I don’t want to stir up a hornets nest but let’s get down to some simple facts. What year is the bike and what mileage. Did you replace rubber mounts for swing arm (OEM or aftermarket), did you check pivot shaft and bearings for wear. I have nothing against stabilizer units and they probably do make a handling difference, but I would like to know all other components are within proper specifications first. I wouldn't want to end up with a serious situation down the road because of worn parts that were not addressed in the first place.

Last edited by ucommbxny; 11-04-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:36 AM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

08 Ultra 7000 miles and have never felt any wobble. I put 40,000 miles on my RKC and never felt a wobble. I had the dealer do all scheduled maintenance on both. I ride with several buddies that have Ultras and none of them have ever felt a wobble. Some of them have had several touring bikes and all say they have never felt a wobble. I am not saying it does not exist but no one I have ever rode with or talked to has ever felt this wobble.