Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Street Glide - From Cadillac to Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 06:59 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 177 Posts
Default 09 Street Glide - From Cadillac to Corvette

Even though the MoCo says it hasn't changed the ground clearance of the 09 SG it seems to me to be slightly different that the previous years. For me it looks as if the a$$ end is higher and the low rear fender disguises the height. I also felt the ride was so good I almost didn't feel like I was on a motorcycle so I decided to try some lowering methods.

Thanks to everyone that has been answering my questions about lowering. I decided to try the least expensive route 1st. On the recommendation of at least one of the forum members I purchased a lowering kit off ebay and installed it on Thursday. I figured what the hell, it won't be the 1st $54 I've thrown away.

The kit did exactly as it said it would - lowering 1", 2" or 3". I chose the 1" lowering and had measured before and after and it was exactly an inch.

The kit did come with a small spacer which enabled the shock to bolt up without having to twist any, needing only to "throw" the shock back 3-4 degrees from its original position to the 1" lowering hole.

I describe the change in ride as the possible feel difference from a Cadillac to a Corvette as far as the type of ride. Oh yes, I did up the shock air pressure to about 25lbs to possibly help protect against any bottoming out -(I'm only 180 lbs or so) and will probably up it another 10-15 lbs initially with a passenger, which is seldom.

Right now I'm happy as hell since I really am not a Cadillac kind of guy and prefer the stiffer ride of a performance car.

I know I will probably catch some grief from other members for doing this but being almost 62 and seeing my depth perception and reflexes creep away I have passed the day of taking advantage of a great handling and riding motorcycle to do the twisties with.

However, if there is some other potential serious damage I have done to my motorcycle by doing this I would like to hear from knowledgable forum members with the key word being "knowledgable". LOL

Didn't feel the need to do pictures since how many more pictures of a black SG do we need. Also my sig pic is before the lowering.

Thanks

Last edited by Xcrossbow; 11-02-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:05 PM
ShooterSteve1953
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks and sounds great to me. I am hoping to take delivery of an 09 SG this month, and would love to lower it too. I am looking forward to any comments.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:28 AM
Lightngsvt2
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It stiffened the ride, but did it increase the handling ability any? Does it sit level or is it a bit higher in the front now?

Old 11-02-2008, 09:45 AM
FLoTR
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool 09FLoTR

Good deal. I paid twice that for the TJ kit but it didn't change the angle. It did however take a spacer at the top of the shock and then a spacer behind the bag mounting brkts. The rubber on the shock was just barely touching the bag without the spacers. It seems to cut the corners a little better now. And the ride firmness doesn't feel any different. It's still STIFF AS H_LL! I run bout 20 psi

Old 11-02-2008, 12:13 PM
jfab6969
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As long as the belt tension is ok & nothing hits you should have no problems. I've seen some scary s**t done out there that holds up just fine, a simple lowering job is all good.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lightngsvt2
It stiffened the ride, but did it increase the handling ability any? Does it sit level or is it a bit higher in the front now?
Does sit up slightly in the front now which is exactly what I wanted. There were times when I felt it was almost higher in the rear but not now. Does feel perhaps it will turn a little tighter at slow speeds but too early to be sure and maybe being slightly lower is what gives the feel of handling better. I slow down substantially for turns at speed so I wouldn't be a good judge for that aspect of the change.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:15 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by jfab6969
As long as the belt tension is ok & nothing hits you should have no problems. I've seen some scary s**t done out there that holds up just fine, a simple lowering job is all good.
1st time the belt tension issued has been raised in any post I've read but could be a factor I guess. Perhaps someone with expertise about this will chime in with a post.