Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle tow behind trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009 | 09:43 AM
kevin berry
Stage III

Originally Posted by buzzy62
i'm interested in purchasing a trailer to tow with my E-G (cargo) anybody have any input about type, brand, and any good deals. i dont want one of those 2,000 to 4,000 $ ones. thanks for your help. buzz
i have one i would be willing to sell, it is similar to the legend i am looking for a smaller one since my wife now rides her own bike if intrested call me 519-633-6667

Old 01-21-2009 | 01:56 AM
Avmech97
Road Master

Looks pretty close Wecroft.

Old 02-04-2011 | 09:27 PM
deacon45
3rd Gear

GT_RoadGlide: Semper Fi...

I have been researching pull behind trailers ever since I went to Washington DC as a part of the Rolling Thunder Ride For The Wall. The 4 cu/ft (two saddle bags, one tour pak) storeage on the Ultra didn't hack it for two people.

The Motorvation trailer seems to be closest to what I am looking for. How does it handle with a 125 lb. empty weight? Have any trouble finding replacement tires? Changing tires... would that have been a hasstle out on the road, somewhere?

Am thinking of not bothering with the front bra. Seems to me that the cooler mounted on the front would protect the largest portion of the trailers front from stone damage.

When I picked out a new Harley Ultra in 2009 it never entered my mind that the red and gold were Marine Corps. colors. (Yeah... right) I called the folks at Motorvation, talking to them almost an hour. They sent me a packet including photo's of a trailer they had painted for an Ultra with the same colors as mine.

I hope to get out there to Sibley, Iowa, soon to look at their trailers up close and personal. (I've never seen one, in real life)

Any more info about the Motorvation trailer would be greatly appreciated.

Sending my thx in advance
Deacon45

Old 02-05-2011 | 04:27 AM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

Originally Posted by deacon45
GT_RoadGlide: Semper Fi...

I have been researching pull behind trailers ever since I went to Washington DC as a part of the Rolling Thunder Ride For The Wall. The 4 cu/ft (two saddle bags, one tour pak) storeage on the Ultra didn't hack it for two people.
Deacon45
deacon:
I have owned my trailer, a Grand National 14, for 10 years and still use it, just not as much. I travel more today by myself and really don’t need it for a weeklong trip. But if I’m going to be on the road for more than a week then I take it. The biggest convenience is not having all the stuff hanging off the bike and the trailer is water tight! I have yet to meet the good looking rally pack that is really waterproof without requiring some waterproof cover. My tools come out of the saddle bags and get stored in the trailer.

From 2001 thru 2003 it was behind my 2000 1200 C Sportster and later behind 2 different Road Glides. I have never noticed a difference from hauling empty to fully loaded even with a pack on the rack. I carry tools and tire irons on trips so changing a trailer tire is not a problem. I did have to look around a bit the first time I replaced tires, had to order them from a regular trailer/camper store. It took a day to get them. Tires seem to be good for 20-30,000 miles. Wheel bearings are off the shelf. This is the trailer to tow if you have a Harley. It just looks good! My biggest problem is that it is easy to forget that it is back there.

For two people the Grand National 14 is a great trailer for the extended trip. It gets all the stuff off the bike and out of sight. Now if you are camping then you might want to look at the Grand National 20. It really is a lot bigger! I carry three long locking cables and lock the trailer to "something" at motels.

There is but one thing I do not like and that has to do with the custom mag wheels. The wheels do not bolt on like a “normal” wheel. To remove the wheel you have to take off the dust cap, cotter pin and then unscrew the castle nut. Then the wheel comes off with the bearing. I would really prefer a 4 or 5 lug bolt style wheel and spindle. Changing a wheel and tire on the road could be a bit messy. I carry a roll of paper towels and cleaning clothes and some cotton gloves so I’m ready.

The rear bumper and top rack are good. I made the cooler carrier but would just buy theirs if I did it over. I don’t have a spare tire but do carry a couple of inner tubes.

A few years ago I was touring Oregon on my Sportster and pulling the trailer. It seemed like I had gone thru 10,000 curves and never felt the trailer behind me. I came into a curve that was signed for 15 mph. I was running 55. I slowed a bit and scraped the foot pegs thru a good piece of the curve. I thought for sure I would be going down but didn’t! The trailer just followed me thru that curve!

HitchDoc has very good hitches. The quality is exceptional. I’d buy an electrical adapter that just plugs into the HD wiring harness. It makes wiring very clean and simple. One thing I noticed on the 07 RG. The bike electronics for the brake and turn signals didn’t like it when I disconnected the trailer light harness. It kept telling me I had a burnt out bulb. I replaced the dual element filament bulb with an LED unit. The problem went away due to the very low LED current draw. So tell Motorvation you want LED lighting.

With a custom paint job to match your bike you will get noticed. My trailer is black gel coat straight out of the mold. I only ride black HDs so it works. It’s funny but the trailer always gets a lot of attention. Someone always has a question. This is not an inexpensive trailer. Considering mine is going on 10 years old and works just fine is a statement in and of itself.

Old 02-05-2011 | 04:38 AM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

Deacon:
I just noticed Motorvation now has a gas strut option, get it too.

Old 02-16-2011 | 02:46 PM
deacon45
3rd Gear

GT_RoadGlide:

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I just returned from a trip to Texas (in a cage). Drove thru Marshall, TX where the Turtle Hull Trailers are built. I spoke at length with the owner before I left. When I asked him for his address to plug into my GPS he told me to just stop and ask someone in town. EVERYONE knew where he was... NOT! Spent almost an hour asking for directions.

I think Motorvation will be much more suited for me anyway. I'm thinking the 20 cu/ft model will work for me. Hopfully it will be able carry my guitar plus folding chairs, when I go to some jams in the summer.

I plan on going for the HitchDoc hitch. It's not as glamourous or as pricey as a couple ofothers but I don't much care, anyway. And, yes, I too saw the gas operated struts. Will be getting those. And, you're right, LED's are the only way to go.

Just wanted to drop a line and thak you for sharing your knowledge. I appreciate it very much. Stay warm and safe.

Semper Fi
Deacon

Old 05-31-2011 | 01:12 PM
cowboybob56
Tourer
Default piggyback

Originally Posted by TheShrink
http://www.piggybacker.com/

Excellent for the money.
It looks like the one I got from Harbor Freight for $350

Old 05-31-2011 | 07:08 PM
kpb46
Road Master

Originally Posted by cowboybob56
It looks like the one I got from Harbor Freight for $350

No comparison. My buddy has a HB trailer that he built. Piggybacker is twice the trailer

Old 06-01-2011 | 04:36 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior

I too have a turbo+2 Yes they are more to purchase. However, I talked to a guy that has had a Turbo+2 since ;like 85 7 bikes later and still pulling the same one.26 years is not bad.
Be warned once you get a trailer you'll forget how to pack your bike and have to take it with you everytime you and the wife go out. Not to mention the grocery store, wally world. the nursery to buy stuff for the yard and Lowes. the list goes on.

Old 06-01-2011 | 10:14 AM
kjelders
Tourer

I recently purchased the Escape XL. It came with lots of accessories and shipped to my place for $1,503. I purchased the bigger trailer and a diamond plate dog kennel so our adopted mini long hair doxies can go with us on camping trips. I'm in the process of getting the "boyz" used to the trailer now.
Motorcycle tow behind trailer-the_rig__03.jpgMotorcycle tow behind trailer-the_rig_004.jpgMotorcycle tow behind trailer-totinkennel.jpgMotorcycle tow behind trailer-taterntot06.jpg