Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle tow behind trailer

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008 | 08:57 AM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

DRAFT1, Thanks for the tips. When we head out on the road, my bike is packed up about like the Beverly Hillbillies. I want to get some of the weight off my bike and limit my width to just my saddle bag rails, so that's why I'm going with the trailer this year.

I looked for a used trailer for a while, but never could find anything under a couple thousand for the nice ones, so I decided to go the home-brew method. I'm close to Neosho, MO, near Fayetteville, but their trailers start out at a thousand too. That's pretty cheap for a store-bought, but still more than I want to spend on it. I thought about building my own totally from scratch, but here in AR you have to have your trailer registered/tagged, and a title would cost me about $150 or so plus my time to sue the state and get a court order for a title (that's just how we do it here). The HF trailer was on sale for less than that and came with a manufacturer's statement of origin so I couldn't go wrong there.

Old 12-19-2008 | 11:02 AM
tn_chopper_man
Road Captain

Bushtec Roadstar....Pulled it all across the country including to Alaska.
Also toured all across Canada with it...Best trailer on the market
in my opinion. With the large wheels you can't tell it's behind you
when motoring down/up the road. Resale is excellant...Sold it after thousands of miles for 2500.00....Just my opinion and everyone's got'em.

Old 12-19-2008 | 11:52 AM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member

registered/tagged, and a title would cost me about $150 or so plus my time to sue the state and get a court order for a title (that's just how we do it here).

That's pretty focked up. I built my trailer from scratch and the only hoops I had to jump thru here in the Republic of Maryland was to submit two photos (side and rear views) to get a VIN the after having it inspected ($5) I applied for and recieved a Title and Plates.

Old 12-19-2008 | 12:01 PM
jrken1
Advanced
Default I like an open Trailer

Hi.... Just a few words for what worked for me. I bought a 6X10 Enclosed trailer (around $3000 )for my FLHTC and used it to take the bike on a few vacations. Absolutely hated it. It was heavy and a struggle to pull with my Escape so I sold it and bought an open 5X10 Cargo type at All Pro West , the local trailer superstore around south central PA. Cost me just $1100 and I love it. Much easier to pull so easier on the gas. Being 5 foot across it does not extend past the width of my car like the 6X10 did. With that trailer I was white knuckle driving on city streets with curbs and parked cars. With the 5X10,,,, what the car clears the trailer clears. A big +++++ for me. I put a locking wheel chock in it so I can load the EGC by myself, and I can use this open type for much more than I could ever use the enclosed one for. Hauling mulch ect.ect. I also like the fact that I can see the bike at all times by just looking in the rearview mirror. Never new what was happening with it with the old trailer while towing. I could lock up the enclosed and that was nice so it was a bit of a trade off. For the money though the 5X10 open utility type is the best way to go.

Old 12-19-2008 | 12:08 PM
jrken1
Advanced
Default Misread your post

Wooppsss ! Misread your post Happy Hunting and Happy Trails !!!!!

Old 12-19-2008 | 01:18 PM
tn_chopper_man
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jrken1
Wooppsss ! Misread your post Happy Hunting and Happy Trails !!!!!

Thank goodness you mis-read the post....I'd hate trying to
pull that behind my bike.

Old 12-19-2008 | 03:45 PM
FLTR08
Outstanding HDF Member

If you ever see my bike on a trailer call the police, it means someone is stealing it because I would never put it there.

Old 12-19-2008 | 04:14 PM
jag1886
Elite HDF Member

Watch for used ones in the local papers. I got one there I traded a 10 year one washer and dryer for mine. It needs to be have the trim replaced and repainted but it's a nice trailer for basiclly nothing.
This one out lived the Gold Wing that used to pull it!!!!

Attached Thumbnails Motorcycle tow behind trailer-dsc02195.jpg  
Old 12-19-2008 | 04:22 PM
ezryder62881
Tourer

Thats about the skeeriest lookin contraption I've ever seen!

Old 12-19-2008 | 04:25 PM
ezryder62881
Tourer

Originally Posted by firefighter3666
I recently found this company, and think it has some potential depending on what you are planning on hauling.

http://www.eaglematetrailers.com/index.htm
Thats about the skeeriest lookin contraption I've ever seen! (forgot the quote button first time)

Quick Reply: Motorcycle tow behind trailer