Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle tow behind trailer

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008 | 06:27 PM
FLTR08
Outstanding HDF Member

I have an American Legend but like anything else the trailer you get is your choice. I would avoid springs and go with a torsion bar suspension. They are a lot more stable, last longer, and a lot easier on the cargo inside. If you plan on much traveling I would watch the aerodynamics, some trailers can get you down to 25mpg and I have seen high trailers blown off the road in a crosswind (taking the bike with them). I wouldn't go cheap on the trailer hitch either. Make sure the hitch maker is experienced and insured.

http://www.shop.american-legend.com/...c?categoryId=5

Old 12-18-2008 | 06:42 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by robzuc97
I bought a 10' X 6' utility trailer (the kind for hauling lawn mowers) and added 3/4" plywood to the deck to support weight of FLSTC and XL. Trailer cost $1800 new and wood (wood: huh huh) cost me $30 . Ties down with regular strap downs using side rails. Cheap licensing. No problems yet (exc. need new plywood from rain warp) but would like to get wheel chocks to better tie down and get off the side stands. Or add side walls to the rails to keep rain/dirt from splashing up on the bikes.
wrong type of trailer.....we're speaking of the small cargo trailers that you pull with the motorcycle....

Old 12-18-2008 | 07:16 PM
ripper43
Outstanding HDF Member

I have a http://www.neoshotrailers.com/traile...aStreamlineDLX

Pulls really nice and looks fairly good also. I put about 5000 miles on it this past summer and did not know it was there.

Old 12-18-2008 | 08:17 PM
HB
Road Captain

Boat for sale; 60" long, 28" long, 22 " deep, 8" tires,Led lights, Propeller, marker lights, ski hooks, 5 wire flat plug
$1200.00 OBO Will consider trades, looking for metal lathe,plasma cutter,small cnc machine
Tows great. Have to many toys, can't get in the garage.

Attached Thumbnails Motorcycle tow behind trailer-side.jpg   Motorcycle tow behind trailer-rear.jpg   Motorcycle tow behind trailer-front.jpg  

Last edited by HB; 12-18-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-18-2008 | 08:20 PM
drbillk
Tourer
Thumbs up Bushtec

Originally Posted by TexasRedneck
Yeah - ya don't wanna put a lotta $$ into a cargo trailer - they're useless after a few years, an' heaven knows that quality comes cheap.

Me, idiot ah am, we spent 'bout 4k on our Bushtec. Runnin' on m/c sized wheels vs the 12" of the cheapy trailers means we don't git all them fun bounces outta it. An' the air-ride suspension (which they demo by droppin' the trailer from waist high - an' it does NOT rebound into the air) coulda been done cheaper, ah'm sure. All ah know is that we've never had a problem with it - the tires are actually rated heavy enough to run down the highway flat an' not be a problem....

Oh - did ah mention that we've got 'bout 50k miles on the trailer so far....an' that it's 10 years old? Or that if ah chose ta sell it, it'd bring 2500-3500 bucks?

Yeah....shoulda bought a cheap one.(NOT)
+1 on the Bushtec... not cheap, but will work forever!

Old 12-18-2008 | 09:20 PM
paco ritter
Cruiser

Here's my contribution. KARGO brand, several years old when I bought it. Got it for $600, spent another $300 maybe sprucing it up a bit, painting to match, new LED lighting, etc. Overall it was in good shape when I got it, just needed a color match paint job and a little TLC, but would have traveled many miles as bought. Not sure if this brand is still available, but I have seen a number of them on the road. Should be fairly plentiful in used form. Fiberglass box, aluminum framework. Pulls fine, built above average (must be, this one is a 1991 version and had a gazillion miles on it even before I bought it and still no signs of fatigue in either metal or fiberglass) Will try to attach pics. PACO

Attached Thumbnails Motorcycle tow behind trailer-cimg1978-wince-.jpg   Motorcycle tow behind trailer-cimg3007-wince-.jpg  
Old 12-18-2008 | 09:22 PM
BigCopperhead
Intermediate

I purchased an Aluma trailer from Thomas Bus Sales in Des Monies, Iowa. They were great to deal with. It's a good looking and well built trailer. $1499.00 out the door. I'm very satisfied with it. Good luck.

Old 12-18-2008 | 11:26 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

Not cheap, but with over 40K miles still going strong. I'm on second set of tires and replaced wheel bearings at 30K miles. The trailer is from Motorvation http://www.motorvation.com/ It's a great trailer and looks good too.

Old 12-19-2008 | 12:39 AM
03ultra100th
Cruiser

I just can't see having a $20,000 motorcycle and pulling a $ 150 trailer not designed to be pulled behind a cycle. Some of these companies have invested many hours and loads of money in their designs. Not just to look good behind the bike, to pull good too. I would try to find a good used one like Bushtec or Aluma. I have an Aluma MCT-XL and have been more than satisfied with the design and reliability of this trailer. Good luck with your venture.

Attached Thumbnails Motorcycle tow behind trailer-0708180331.jpg  
Old 12-19-2008 | 04:01 AM
younggeezer
Advanced

A friend of mine bought a Bushtec Roadstar and after watching how well his bike handled with the trailer I was sold on Bushtec. I found a ’99 model that an old guy bought and just didn’t use, it was like brand new, not a scratch for $2500. After looking at the other trailers and hitches, I also like the Heim joint style hitch that Bushtec uses. There is absolutely no slack so there is no jerk starting or stopping. Load it up and other than the added weight, you can’t even tell it is back there.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle tow behind trailer