Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle tow behind trailer

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008 | 02:12 PM
cap5369
Road Master

I bought mine from http://www.neoshotrailers.com/ it is a Starlight and then I took it over to BoB Bond and he did the paint and pinstriping I have about 1500 into it.

Attached Thumbnails Motorcycle tow behind trailer-dsc_0329.jpg   Motorcycle tow behind trailer-dsc_0328.jpg  
Old 12-18-2008 | 02:24 PM
rc9636
Cruiser

Look at cyclemate trailers they use to be a pretty good bang for the buck.

Old 12-18-2008 | 02:34 PM
bullseye
Road Captain

Try Harbor Freight and make your own.

Old 12-18-2008 | 02:47 PM
rfultra
Road Master

The PiggyBacker looks nice. i too have been wanting to go with a trailer for the wifes stuff.......

Old 12-18-2008 | 02:54 PM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member

I've owned a few, Time-out Dart, Starlite and now have a Bushtec GL.....you can buy cheap and they will work, but I wouldn't have anything but the Bushtec now....they do pull great and no bounce...hold a ton of stuff, 24 cu ft of storage...expensive? yeah but ya get what ya pay for....
I may be selling my small Starlite...14 cu ft....have to think on it.

Old 12-18-2008 | 02:55 PM
DRAFT1
Tourer

This was a write up I done on building my trailer from the ST1300 site I belonged to and some photos. Not sure this is what you want, but I pulled it for 4000 miles this spring with no problems. Total cost about $600. Hope this helps, good luck.

OK, I have finally got around to posting the final outcome of my project.
The trailer frame is from Harbor Freight Co. I cut mine down to fit the Thule Sidekick box. Total width is about 36" (Outside fender to outside fender). It is 27" from center of tire to center of tire. I would recomend about 3" wider for this, but still I have not had any problems. I only done this because I have a buddy that done his this way. I have pulled this trailer over 4000 miles so far with no concerns. It pulls true and I have had no wobble effect from pulling it. Actually, you can't even tell its behind you. I have pulled it up to 85 MPH for some distances. There is a web site under Delphi forum for building homemade trailers. I recommend you visit it if you plan to build one. All of the lights are LED. They do not pull enough load to overload the existing fused circuit. That is why I used them. There are other methods, however, you will see in the picture post below that they are very bright. They have 12 LEDS per light. Hub caps are from a golf cart company, painted silver and cut 2" dia. hole to allow hub to fit. There are also other types. Hope this helps those who are interested. Please be safe.

Here is a link to my youtube photo clip of my trip with some trailer pics. My brothers is identicle exept for lights and plate trim.https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...st-spring.html

Attached Thumbnails Motorcycle tow behind trailer-p1010266.jpg   Motorcycle tow behind trailer-p1010267.jpg  

Last edited by DRAFT1; 12-18-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-18-2008 | 03:48 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

DRAFT1, I'm building a similar rig. I already have the HF trailer ($148 on sale with a coupon). Why do you say go 3" wider? I was thinking that 36" would be just about right, fender to fender OD, as that's about the width of my bike rail to rail. What LED lights did you use/cost/where bought? What did you use for an interface on the bike's harness?

I was thinking of this box:
http://www.amazon.com/SportRack-A900...=cm_cr_pr_pb_i

Old 12-18-2008 | 04:05 PM
DRAFT1
Tourer
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
DRAFT1, I'm building a similar rig. I already have the HF trailer ($148 on sale with a coupon). Why do you say go 3" wider? I was thinking that 36" would be just about right, fender to fender OD, as that's about the width of my bike rail to rail. What LED lights did you use/cost/where bought? What did you use for an interface on the bike's harness?

I was thinking of this box:
http://www.amazon.com/SportRack-A900...=cm_cr_pr_pb_i
Dr. Hess,
36" is good, and I never had a problem pulling mine. I was pulling mine with the ST1300 and would drive a little more egressively than I would on the RG. As my brother says "those kind of bikes promote foolishness" I found this site after building my trailer. http://roaddogtrailers.com/trailers_...ack_deluxe.asp They use a 10 or 12 inch wheel with street leagle golf cart tires. I am thinking of converting mine over the winter to something similar to widen the track. I like the box size that I used so that not to pack to much and load the rear of the bike up. I was still able to pack lots of stuff for our 10 day trip. I will post a picture when I get home of all the things we took on our trip. You will be surprised at how much the Thule will hold. I was very conscious of how I packed the trailer to even out the load so that only about 20lbs of tounge weight was applied. The bike actually drove better with the packed trailer than it did with all of the bags and trunk packed. More weight on the bike this way than pulling a balanced trailer (does that make sense?) The biggest thing about pulling a trailer is always remember it's back there. With the narrow trailer, you don't have to worrry about racking a gas pump bollard! I hope this helps. I spent a lot of research on trailer pulling before jumping into it, but now am very comfortable pulling one.

Last edited by DRAFT1; 12-18-2008 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-18-2008 | 04:17 PM
robzuc97
Road Master

I bought a 10' X 6' utility trailer (the kind for hauling lawn mowers) and added 3/4" plywood to the deck to support weight of FLSTC and XL. Trailer cost $1800 new and wood (wood: huh huh) cost me $30 . Ties down with regular strap downs using side rails. Cheap licensing. No problems yet (exc. need new plywood from rain warp) but would like to get wheel chocks to better tie down and get off the side stands. Or add side walls to the rails to keep rain/dirt from splashing up on the bikes.

Old 12-18-2008 | 05:55 PM
jfbrown
Novice

Hi I don't post much, but I do have a trailier. I bought my from ZZTrailers www.zztrailer.com about $4500 with shipping. They color match your bike. They look great my opinion. I took a trip threw SD and over to colarado and back threw SD and stayed around the black hills area for a week and took it every where averaged aboout 400 miles aday. no problems with pulling the trailer and that was with a my 85 FLTC Stock, even the wind in SD I didn't know it was there. they it was back to Wisconsin, about 4000 miles in 2 weeks. The trailer sure came in handy.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle tow behind trailer