Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddle Bags flying open while riding?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 11:45 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

You need to tighten all the hardware on your bags once in a while,would be best to blue loctite all fastners and put back in.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:51 AM
bullseye
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

85,000 mile on 2 different baggers and it's never happened to me.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:56 AM
oldbagr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Skulmn
It is easy not to get the back hooks in the holes.

I always "wiggle" the back to see if I did get it in the holes. 50% of the time I have to re-do them.
Same here: I always "wiggle" them and at least 1/2 of the time one of the back hooks isn't seated correctly; once seated, never had one fly open when on the road.

Bob

Old 10-31-2008, 12:07 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When we bought the bike our dealer advised on locking the latches as they can pop open. I've only seen it happen a couple of times when they were really packed. The lid lever flew off just the latch unlatching.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:18 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

I try to always check the two rear latches, and make sure the front locks down tight. Very seldom do I lock them.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:20 PM
princeaz
Cruiser
Location: Payson, AZ within 400 miles of the best the west has to offer for riders

FWIW, I found that my 08 EG left bag developed a rattle at about 8k miles, and it opened very easily. I also found that there is no way to adjust the tension on the spring latch. What I did find though, was there are two small tabs at the botton under the latch that if you bend them upwards just a little bit, they catch the latch and hold it closed. I tweeked them a small amount and found the right amount of tension, Now, the latch is a little bit harder to lift out, but I am certain they will not open, and the rattle is gone.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:22 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

The latch on one of mine popped open a couple times, a good bump and the lid would have come open. It also sometimes took a few tries to latch it down, felt like it was binding.
I loosened up the hardware, adjusted it, and retightened. Been good ever since.
I almost never lock them.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:28 PM
outlaw0013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a little tip I learned here. When closing the lid make sure the retaining strap (cloth piece ) doesn't fold up under the lid. It will prevent t it from closing properly,

Old 10-31-2008, 12:44 PM
texas725
Outstanding HDF Member

The lid on the large compartment behind the seat flew up and caught the wind and nearly flipped me. I was picking up my new Ultra and had checked everything over and went inside the dealership to pick up my papers. The mechanic at the dealership had installed an outlet in the compartment previously and had opened it again to check something and never latched it properly. I headed home and the wind was blowing hard and it slamed open about a 1/2 mile outside of town. Those open lids are like a big sail and it nearly blew the bike over. Only time it has ever happen but it taught me a lesson. If the bike has been out of my sight, always check the latches before you ride it.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:50 PM
mduggan
Cruiser

+1 on the retaining strap. I had this problem and couldn't figure what was going on. I could close my right side bag, then bump it a few times with my fist and the latch would pop up. I posted about it here and found that the retaining strap was sometimes getting closed in the bag lid. If this is happening to you, your retaining strap will probably have a nice straight line in it like the crease in a pant leg. If it does, just put your hand in there as you close the bag and guide the retaining strap away from the lid as it closes. I did this a few times and no longer have the problem. I guess I've re-trained the strap to go the right way.

Quick Reply: Saddle Bags flying open while riding?